Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > TreeView in Web Custom Control

TreeView in Web Custom Control

Jonas

Hi.
I'm trying to develop a web custom control that uses a programmatically
created treeview.
My problem is that I get an exception when I try to render the control.
With properties do I have to assign to get this working.
Here is some sample code:

namespace WebControlLibrary1
{
[ToolboxData("<{0}:MyControl runat=server></{0}:MyControl>")]
public class MyControl : WebControl
{
protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter output)
{
XmlDataSource source = new XmlDataSource();
source.Data = GetXmlElement().OuterXml;

TreeView tv = new TreeView();
tv.ID = ClientID + "_TreeView";
tv.ImageSet = TreeViewImageSet.XPFileExplorer;
tv.RenderControl(output);
}

private XmlElement GetXmlElement()
{
XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
doc.LoadXml("<Xml><EmptyXml /></Xml>");
return doc.DocumentElement;
}
}
}

Best regards
Jonas Samuelsson

Gaurav Vaish \(EduJini.IN\)

What's the exception... the message and the stack trace..

Code looks prety ookie.

--
Happy Hacking,
Gaurav Vaish

Jonas

Hi,
here is the exception info:

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled by user code
Message="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
Source="System.Web"
StackTrace:
at System.Web.UI.Control.get_SpacerImageUrl()
at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView.RenderBeginTag( HtmlTextWriter
writer)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTe xtWriter
writer)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
at WebControlLibrary1.MyControl.RenderContents(HtmlTe xtWriter
output) in C:\Work\WebSite1\WebControlLibrary1\MyControl.cs:l ine 27
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTe xtWriter
writer)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter
writer, ICollection children)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer)
at
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren (HtmlTextWriter
writer)
at
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Re nder(HtmlTextWriter
writer)
at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTex tWriter
output)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
at
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl( HtmlTextWriter
writer)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter
writer, ICollection children)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer)
at System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)

Gaurav Vaish \(EduJini.IN\)

Cryptic only with the exception that SpacerImageUrl is missing.
Provided any value to it?
Or may be something coming out of MyControl.cs

Mail me the relevant code (with aspx) at
gaurav~DOT~vaish[at]gmail~DOT~com... not sure, but probably may be of some
help.

--
Happy Hacking,
Gaurav Vaish

"Jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
> here is the exception info:
>
> System.NullReferenceException was unhandled by user code
> Message="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
> Source="System.Web"
> StackTrace:
> at System.Web.UI.Control.get_SpacerImageUrl()
> at
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView.RenderBeginTag( HtmlTextWriter
> writer)
> at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTe xtWriter
> writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
> writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
> ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
> at WebControlLibrary1.MyControl.RenderContents(HtmlTe xtWriter
> output) in C:\Work\WebSite1\WebControlLibrary1\MyControl.cs:l ine 27
> at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTe xtWriter
> writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
> writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
> ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter
> writer, ICollection children)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer)
> at
> System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren (HtmlTextWriter
> writer)
> at
> System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Re nder(HtmlTextWriter
> writer)
> at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTex tWriter
> output)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
> writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
> ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
> at
> System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl( HtmlTextWriter
> writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter
> writer, ICollection children)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
> writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
> ControlAdapter adapter)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
> at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean

Prakash V

Hi ,
i too got the same problem, i try to render a treecontrol and pass
the html to some other mehthod, it give object set to null exception, i
tried many things but cannot do it, i tried to replace get_spacerImageurl()
but no use. Did anyone have solution for this problem

part of my code is
private string RenderTree()

{

TreeView Tview = new TreeView();

TreeNode tnode = new TreeNode("Node1", "1");

Tview.Nodes.Add(tnode);

Tview.ID = "Tree1";

StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();

StringWriter sw = new StringWriter(sb);

HtmlTextWriter htmlTW = new HtmlTextWriter(sw);

Tview.RenderControl(htmlTW);

return sb.ToString();

}

and stack trace is [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an
instance of an object.]
System.Web.UI.Control.get_SpacerImageUrl() +50
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView.RenderBeginTag( HtmlTextWriter writer)
+202
System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTe xtWriter writer) +31
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter) +74
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter
adapter) +291
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +49
TreeviewRender.RenderTree() in
d:\TestProject\TestProject\TreeviewRender.aspx.cs: 30
TreeviewRender.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
d:\TestProject\TestProject\TreeviewRender.aspx.cs: 17
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp, Object o,
Object t, EventArgs e) +31
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object sender,
EventArgs e) +68
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3030

"Gaurav Vaish (EduJini.IN)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>> at
>> System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl( HtmlTextWriter
>> writer)
>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter
>> writer, ICollection children)
>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer)
>> at System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>> at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
>> writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
>> ControlAdapter adapter)
>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>> at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
>> includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Gaurav Vaish \(www.EduJini.IN\)

I've given a solution to Jonas...
Just set the value of,... grrr... lost the property name, as empty
value.

BRB

--
Happy Hacking,
Gaurav Vaish | http://www.mastergaurav.org
http://www.edujini.in | http://webservices.edujini.in
-------------------

"Prakash V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>>> at
>>> System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl( HtmlTextWriter
>>> writer)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter
>>> writer, ICollection children)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter
>>> writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
>>> ControlAdapter adapter)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
>>> includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I got it working by adding the following line:
treeview.SkipLinkText = "";
before treeview.RenderControl(writer).

Thanks alot Gaurav!

Prakash V

Hi,
after adding treeview.SkipLinkText = ""; also it's not working, it now
expects GetImageUrl. i am giving my code and stack trace below.

public partial class TreeviewRender : System.Web.UI.Page

{

{

if (IsPostBack)

RenderTree();

}

private string RenderTree()

{

TreeView Tview = new TreeView();

TreeNode tnode = new TreeNode("Node1", "1");

Tview.Nodes.Add(tnode);

Tview.ID = "Tree1";

Tview.SkipLinkText = "";

StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();

StringWriter sw = new StringWriter(sb);

HtmlTextWriter htmlTW = new HtmlTextWriter(sw);

Tview.RenderControl(htmlTW);

return sb.ToString();

}

}

Source Error:

Line 30: StringWriter sw = new StringWriter(sb);
Line 31: HtmlTextWriter htmlTW = new HtmlTextWriter(sw);
Line 32: Tview.RenderControl(htmlTW);
Line 33: return sb.ToString();
Line 34:

Source File: d:\TestProject\TestProject\TreeviewRender.aspx.cs Line: 32

Stack Trace:

object.]
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView.GetImageUrl(Int 32 index) +4107
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeNode.Render(HtmlText Writer writer, Int32
position, Boolean[] isLast, Boolean enabled) +2700
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView.RenderContents( HtmlTextWriter writer)
+294
System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTe xtWriter writer) +43
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter) +74
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter
adapter) +291
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +49
TreeviewRender.RenderTree() in
d:\TestProject\TestProject\TreeviewRender.aspx.cs: 32
TreeviewRender.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
d:\TestProject\TestProject\TreeviewRender.aspx.cs: 18
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp, Object o,
Object t, EventArgs e) +31
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object sender,
EventArgs e) +68
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3034

Thanks in Advance,
Prakash.V
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

"Jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I got it working by adding the following line:
> treeview.SkipLinkText = "";
> before treeview.RenderControl(writer).
>
> Thanks alot Gaurav!

itaisc itaisc is offline
Junior Member

Anyone solved this problem??? please help.

itaisc itaisc is offline
Junior Member

What I did is to inherit From TreeView and that gave me all the functionalities of Web control and also cause my control to become a control with TreeView that can be rendered properly.

Then when I needed to add some more controls like Text Box and Button I just override the "RenderControl" function and add to it's HtmlTextWriter
my rendered controls.

Hope that it helped you guys!