Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > pix 501 to pix 506 easy vpn

pix 501 to pix 506 easy vpn

fredrikmagnil@hotmail.com

Hi.

We´ve got a cisco pix 506 firewall at our main office and a pix 501 at
another branch office. I want to connect these two to each other using
the 506 as an easy vpn server, so that it seems like the clients at the
branch office are in the same network as the main office. It probably
isn't that hard, but since I'm kinda new to this I would like some
guidance.

The IP numbers are modified, but the firewalls are setup kinda like
this:

Main office:
Cisco pix 506 with static external IP: 209.165.201.8
Inside IP: 10.10.10.7

Branch office:
Cisxo pix 501 with static external IP: 209.165.200.229
Inside IP: 10.10.20.1

Thanks in advance.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>We´ve got a cisco pix 506 firewall at our main office and a pix 501 at
>another branch office. I want to connect these two to each other using
>the 506 as an easy vpn server, so that it seems like the clients at the
>branch office are in the same network as the main office.

How important is it that they appear to be on the same network?
It is much easier to set up if they appear to be on different networks.

Since the PIX 501 and PIX 506 are only Layer 3 firewalls at
present, you aren't going to get ARP or NETBIOS broadcasts through
the VPN, so they aren't really going to appear to be on the same
network anyhow.

If you need Layer 2 Transparent VPN then you need PIX 515/515E,
525, 535, or a Cisco ASA; alternately, some of the newer Cisco IOS
versions support it (and on IOS versions that don't, there's always gre
encapsulation.)

Rob

Have you got a server at the main office? If so, setup an ipsec tunnel
between the offices and log people onto your domain. You don't need the easy
vpn server and the pix units will do fine.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
Hi.

We´ve got a cisco pix 506 firewall at our main office and a pix 501 at
another branch office. I want to connect these two to each other using
the 506 as an easy vpn server, so that it seems like the clients at the
branch office are in the same network as the main office. It probably
isn't that hard, but since I'm kinda new to this I would like some
guidance.

The IP numbers are modified, but the firewalls are setup kinda like
this:

Main office:
Cisco pix 506 with static external IP: 209.165.201.8
Inside IP: 10.10.10.7

Branch office:
Cisxo pix 501 with static external IP: 209.165.200.229
Inside IP: 10.10.20.1

Thanks in advance.

fredrikmagnil@hotmail.com

Well, I guess it isn't very important that they appear to be on the
same network. Just as long as the users at the branch office can access
files on the server at the main office, and vice versa.

Yes Rob, we've got servers at both locations, both are in the same
domain. So all users will log on to the same domain. What I want to
achieve here is being able to control all servers from one location,
including shared folders, users etc. I want to be able to see all the
users when I look in active directory on the main office server,
including the ones that are sitting at the branch office. I guess I
would have to replicate the users database from the branch office
server to do this? Will this ipsec tunnel allow me to do all this?

PIX 501 and 506 lossing VPN connection to remote site after timeout Jay Cisco 7 09-05-2006 10:00 PM
Pix 506 & 501 site-to-site VPN question. Silvan Jappert Cisco 4 05-04-2006 02:39 PM
[Edit] VPN pix 506 to 501 ... Fwed Cisco 5 09-05-2005 10:31 AM
VPN pix 506 - 501 fall down Fwed Cisco 0 08-30-2005 08:54 AM
need help with PIX 506-501 VPN error Brian Cisco 1 07-18-2004 05:27 PM

Advertisments