Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Grandstream via PC + wifi?

Grandstream via PC + wifi?

Telephoneman

I had to move my ADSL wireless router/modem to the master socket in another
room to get a decent throughput. I'm now left with a Grandstream budge tone
100 sitting on my desk not connected to anything. My PC has a wireless card
and I was wondering if I could connect the phone via my PC using the
Ethernet socket. I have a UT-Starcomm wi-fi phone that I use for most calls
so it doesn't matter if the GS goes off with the PC (it's normally left on
anyway).

Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
getting any IP address from the DHCP.

Liam

Doz

On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:34:07 +0100, Telephoneman wrote:

> I had to move my ADSL wireless router/modem to the master socket in another
> room to get a decent throughput. I'm now left with a Grandstream budge tone
> 100 sitting on my desk not connected to anything. My PC has a wireless card
> and I was wondering if I could connect the phone via my PC using the
> Ethernet socket. I have a UT-Starcomm wi-fi phone that I use for most calls
> so it doesn't matter if the GS goes off with the PC (it's normally left on
> anyway).
>
> Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
> X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
> getting any IP address from the DHCP.
>
> Liam

You could try ICS in windows.. or even bridge the 2 network devices to create
one logical network.. that may work.

PhilT

Telephoneman wrote:

> Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
> X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
> getting any IP address from the DHCP.

use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
cable or via a hub / switch.

Phil

Chris Davies

PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
> via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
> cable or via a hub / switch.

It's usually not possible to bridge with a wireless card unless your
software/firmware supports Access Point type operation.

Chris

PhilT

Chris Davies wrote:
> PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
> > via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
> > cable or via a hub / switch.

> It's usually not possible to bridge with a wireless card unless your
> software/firmware supports Access Point type operation.

good job I wasn't suggesting that then, isn't it

The idea was to use ICS on the PC with the wireless internet connection
to provide a wired ethernet socket for the ATA. This works.

Phil

Chris Davies

PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> good job I wasn't suggesting that then, isn't it

> The idea was to use ICS on the PC with the wireless internet connection
> to provide a wired ethernet socket for the ATA. This works.

Yes of course. I was trying to follow-up the previous poster, who had
suggested ICS. Finger trouble and lack of reading. Doh!

Chris

Telephoneman

Thanks for the help Guys. I got it working using ICS. I didn't have a
crossover so I used 2 long patch cords and a little switch I had laying
around. At first the PC was showing "a cable is unplugged", then I worked
out I had both ends of the same cable plugged in the switch! LOL.

Cheers,

Liam

"Chris Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
>> via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
>> cable or via a hub / switch.

> Chris Davies wrote:
>> It's usually not possible to bridge with a wireless card unless your
>> software/firmware supports Access Point type operation.

> PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> good job I wasn't suggesting that then, isn't it

>> The idea was to use ICS on the PC with the wireless internet connection
>> to provide a wired ethernet socket for the ATA. This works.

> Yes of course. I was trying to follow-up the previous poster, who had
> suggested ICS. Finger trouble and lack of reading. Doh!
>
> Chris

alexd

Telephoneman wrote:

> At first the PC was showing "a cable is unplugged", then I worked
> out I had both ends of the same cable plugged in the switch! LOL.

BTDTGTTS!

This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Has anyone used those Grandstream VOIP phone?? SniperSquad VOIP 13 01-24-2004 12:38 AM
Direct IP dialing with Grandstream HandyTone 286 behind NAT? SniperSquad VOIP 1 01-09-2004 06:33 PM
Anyone used a Grandstream HandyTone 286 with Draytek Router?? SniperSquad VOIP 0 01-07-2004 10:57 PM
Grandstream Phones VoIP Guy VOIP 0 11-12-2003 05:28 AM
grandstream phone review Hugo Drax VOIP 0 10-08-2003 03:41 AM

Advertisments