Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > SunTrust Bank has no love for Firefox

Reply
Thread Tools

SunTrust Bank has no love for Firefox

 
 
damon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
I complained when I couldn't use their online bill paying website. They
replied promptly with:

Thank you for contacting SunTrust regarding your browser compatibility
inquiry.

We apologize for any inconvenience; however, Firefox browsers are not
supported with Bill Pay. The only Mozilla-based browser we can dedicate
support to is Netscape Navigator. Due to the frequent release schedule
of browsers like Firefox, we are unable to commit support for these
browsers. For more information regarding supported browsers, you may
wish to contact our Internet Banking Department at 800-382-3232.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to
contact us. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and look
forward to satisfying your financial needs.

Sincerely,
Stacy T.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

SunTrust will never send unsolicited emails asking for your personal or
account information, such as passwords, Social Security numbers, PINs,
credit or Check Card numbers, or other confidential information.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:27:33 -0400, damon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I complained when I couldn't use their online bill paying website. They
>replied promptly with:
>
>Thank you for contacting SunTrust regarding your browser compatibility
>inquiry.
>

Well, one of Canada's largerst (and IMHO: best) banks has no problem with
Firefox: Using the on-line financial services works just fine . .

John <><
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gwtc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
damon wrote:
> I complained when I couldn't use their online bill paying website. They
> replied promptly with:
>
> Thank you for contacting SunTrust regarding your browser compatibility
> inquiry.
>
> We apologize for any inconvenience; however, Firefox browsers are not
> supported with Bill Pay. The only Mozilla-based browser we can dedicate
> support to is Netscape Navigator. Due to the frequent release schedule
> of browsers like Firefox, we are unable to commit support for these
> browsers. For more information regarding supported browsers, you may
> wish to contact our Internet Banking Department at 800-382-3232.
>
> If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to
> contact us. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and look
> forward to satisfying your financial needs.
>
> Sincerely,
> Stacy T.
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> SunTrust will never send unsolicited emails asking for your personal or
> account information, such as passwords, Social Security numbers, PINs,
> credit or Check Card numbers, or other confidential information.

if you're using FF 1.5.x, then click on Help, and Report Broken
Website, or go here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/,
and let the Mozilla people give them a good thrashing

--
I bet you didn't know that "I am" is the shortest complete sentence in
the English language
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
Once upon a time *damon* wrote:
> I complained when I couldn't use their online bill paying website. They
> replied promptly with:


Well, they must have a lousy system then. Maybee the Netscape version
they support is 4.xx

My bank's list of supported browsers includes only NS 7.x and Ff 1.0.x
but in reality I have no problems with other (and newer) Mozilla based
browsers.

I have allways used Mozilla Suite since I left Netscape 7 and now I'm
using SeaMonkey. Never had any problem using the bank online.

--
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Canopus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
damon on 18/05/2006 wrote:

>I complained when I couldn't use their online bill paying website. They
>replied promptly with:
>
>Thank you for contacting SunTrust regarding your browser compatibility
>inquiry.
>
>We apologize for any inconvenience; however, Firefox browsers are not
>supported with Bill Pay. The only Mozilla-based browser we can dedicate
>support to is Netscape Navigator. Due to the frequent release schedule of
>browsers like Firefox, we are unable to commit support for these browsers.


If you think that is crazy then get this. Some time ago I was having some
connection problems and contacted my ISP NTLWorld Help Desk. They told me
that they couldn't give me any help as I was running IE 6 which they
didn't support and to get help I would have to uninstall it and go back to
IE 5. This was a few years after IE 6 had come out. So I would have had
to have uninstalled IE 6, go back to IE 5 which was far less secure just
so that they could answer a question that had nothing to do with my
browser and this came from one of the top professional ISPs!

--
Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
Canopus wrote:
> damon on 18/05/2006 wrote:
>
>> I complained when I couldn't use their online bill paying website.
>> They replied promptly with:
>>
>> Thank you for contacting SunTrust regarding your browser compatibility
>> inquiry.
>>
>> We apologize for any inconvenience; however, Firefox browsers are not
>> supported with Bill Pay. The only Mozilla-based browser we can
>> dedicate support to is Netscape Navigator. Due to the frequent release
>> schedule of browsers like Firefox, we are unable to commit support for
>> these browsers.


Churls. Varlets. Ronyons. Why don't they figure out a subset of
functions common to recent releases that they're prepared to support,
and stick with that? It's not like installing a few versions of Firefox
will cost them anything. Unwilling to pay for development time, more likely.

> If you think that is crazy then get this. Some time ago I was having
> some connection problems and contacted my ISP NTLWorld Help Desk. They
> told me that they couldn't give me any help as I was running IE 6 which
> they didn't support and to get help I would have to uninstall it and go
> back to IE 5. This was a few years after IE 6 had come out. So I would
> have had to have uninstalled IE 6, go back to IE 5 which was far less
> secure just so that they could answer a question that had nothing to do
> with my browser and this came from one of the top professional ISPs!
>


NTLWorld still say that they support anything at all? Wonders never
cease

Way back when I was an NTL victim, I always thought their support line
existed solely to make money off the premium rate number...

David H
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
damon wrote:
> I complained when I couldn't use their online bill paying website. They
> replied promptly with:
>
> Thank you for contacting SunTrust regarding your browser compatibility
> inquiry.
>
> We apologize for any inconvenience; however, Firefox browsers are not
> supported with Bill Pay. The only Mozilla-based browser we can dedicate
> support to is Netscape Navigator. Due to the frequent release schedule
> of browsers like Firefox, we are unable to commit support for these
> browsers. For more information regarding supported browsers, you may
> wish to contact our Internet Banking Department at 800-382-3232.


Well, the important question is: What isn't working on that site? And,
what did you try to rectify it other than contacting support? Did you
try spoofing the User Agent? Make sure cookies are being accepted?
Pop-ups not blocked? Javascript turned on?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
Everybody repeat after me ...We are all individuals.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Canopus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
David Harrison on 18/05/2006 wrote:

>Way back when I was an NTL victim, I always thought their support line
>existed solely to make money off the premium rate number...


I had to phone them up yesterday to make some account inquiries. Phoned
the only number I could find on their site, waited listening to crap music
for 15 minutes, went through a list of question and was told I had phoned
the wrong number and had to phone another. I pointed out that it was the
only number the site gave and she said she knew and apologised. Phoned
the other number which cost more and had to listen to crap music for
another ten minutes.

--
Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2006
Canopus wrote:
> David Harrison on 18/05/2006 wrote:
>
>> Way back when I was an NTL victim, I always thought their support line
>> existed solely to make money off the premium rate number...

>
> I had to phone them up yesterday to make some account inquiries. Phoned
> the only number I could find on their site, waited listening to crap
> music for 15 minutes, went through a list of question and was told I had
> phoned the wrong number and had to phone another. I pointed out that it
> was the only number the site gave and she said she knew and apologised.
> Phoned the other number which cost more and had to listen to crap music
> for another ten minutes.
>


Ouch. That's pretty much as I remember it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
elaich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2006
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Cd-dnX7brpf-7_HZnZ2dnUVZ_u-
(E-Mail Removed):

> Well, the important question is: What isn't working on that site? And,
> what did you try to rectify it other than contacting support? Did you
> try spoofing the User Agent? Make sure cookies are being accepted?
> Pop-ups not blocked? Javascript turned on?


I've landed on a few sites where the push buttons wouldn't work in Firefox.
I had to use IE 6 to order my SBC Yahoo DSL because of this.

It's non compliant code, nothing to do with Firefox.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love love love imuaplease@gmail.com C++ 0 06-03-2009 02:53 AM
salary at Chevy Chase Bank and PNC Bank Richard Pearrell Computer Support 2 07-27-2006 03:06 AM
SunTrust Jazz Festival Dean S. Lautermilch Digital Photography 0 08-08-2005 12:04 PM
Re: Bank of America or any Bank mchiper Computer Security 4 09-13-2003 09:01 AM



Advertisments