Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Question regarding SSH via Lantronix SCS100

Question regarding SSH via Lantronix SCS100

Robert B. Phillips, II

I have been tasked with implementing SSH authentication to our Cisco
1751-V routers via a Lantronix SCS100. The Lantronix SCS100 is an
external secure console server that handles SSH authentication. The
box has an ethernet interface and a DB-25 interface, from what I have
ascertained, you give the box an IP, you connect ethernet to the
ethernet on your router and you connect the serial to the console
port.

Here are my questiona; First, does anyone have any experience with
this product or implementing one like it? Second, how would one
configure the console port to accept this connection, the installation
guide gives no clues.

Any feedback that migh help would be greatly appreciated.

Randal T. Rioux

Robert B. Phillips, II

I played with it and here is what happened. So I configured the SCS100
to do SSH and to authenticate the SSH connection with a local
username/password. When I SSH to the address I gave the SCS100 It
authenticates me and then in PuTTY (my SSH client) it states 'server
unexpectedly closed connection'. This is not the same message that I
get if the credentials are incorrect. So I am getting authenticated
but just not getting to the router.

What I need is to understand; (1) do I need to send this to the
CONSOLE or AUX port on the router, or does it matter, and (2) what
configuration needs to be on the router line to allow it to talk? It
appears from the statistics on the SCS100 that it is sending data out
the serial port just not receiving any back, in other words the router
refuses to answer. I have been trying using the CONSOLE port, and
usually when you do this kind of thing to to the AUX port you have to
configure modem controls, i.e. Modem InOut or ModemDialin but you
can't configure modem controls on the CONSOLE port.

Any suggestions?

Robert B. Phillips, II