Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider

ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider

Glenn Eastlack

What are you entering for the username? It has to be in the form
'<username>@<domain>' In my case, I have to enter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

Thanks,
Glenn

MSDN wrote:
> Glenn,
>
> I have no errors or exceptions in my code but I keep on getting false in my
> if statement when I try to validate the username and password.
>
> So the Membership object is created with no problem.
>
> if (Membership.ValidateUser(Login1.UserName, Login1.Password))
>
> Do you know what I should look for??
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> Sa
>

> "Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u$jI$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for your help. It turns out that I misspelled the base DN in the
>> connection string (I actually changed the name to hide my client).
>>
>> My connection string now looks like this:
>> <add name="ADConnectionString"
>> connectionString="LDAP://192.168.32.129/DC=testdns,DC=client,DC=com" />
>>
>> and my Providers look like this:
>>
>> <add name="MembershipADProvider"
>> type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider, System.Web,
>> Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
>> connectionStringName="ADConnectionString"
>> connectionUsername="(E-Mail Removed) om"
>> connectionPassword="password"
>> />
>>
>> I've now moved on to trying to create my own custom Provider and
>> MembershipUser. The question I have is when and how does the
>> MembershipUser get created and can you override how it gets created? In
>> particular, I have several attributes held in a SQL Server database that I
>> want to value.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Glenn
>>
>> Juan T. Llibre wrote:
>>> re:
>>> Does your dc=test, dc=com actually exist ?
>>> Does testdns.test.com\administrator exist ?
>>>
>>> See :
>>> http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...rom_the_server.
>>> http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...e_8007202B.htm
>>>

>>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>>> aspnetfaq.com : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
>>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>>> foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>> ===================================
>>> "Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Glenn Eastlack

Excellent! Thank you very much for your help.

Juan T. Llibre wrote:
> re:
>>> I've now moved on to trying to create my own custom Provider and MembershipUser. The question I
>>> have is when and how does the MembershipUser get created and can you override how it gets
>>> created?

> You'll find a complete roadmap to creating your own Providers in Scott's blog :
>
> http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...24/438953.aspx
>
> In particular, check out the sections titled "Custom Membership and Roles Providers"
>
> re:
>> I have several attributes held in a SQL Server database that I want to value.

> Check the section titled "Storing Custom Properties about a User during Registration".
> There's full sample and a couple of links there.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "MSDN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Glenn,
>>
>> I have no errors or exceptions in my code but I keep on getting false in my if statement when I
>> try to validate the username and password.
>>
>> So the Membership object is created with no problem.
>>
>> if (Membership.ValidateUser(Login1.UserName, Login1.Password))
>>
>> Do you know what I should look for??
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>>
>> Sa
>>

>> "Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u$jI$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for your help. It turns out that I misspelled the base DN in the connection string (I
>>> actually changed the name to hide my client).
>>>
>>> My connection string now looks like this:
>>> <add name="ADConnectionString"
>>> connectionString="LDAP://192.168.32.129/DC=testdns,DC=client,DC=com" />
>>>
>>> and my Providers look like this:
>>>
>>> <add name="MembershipADProvider"
>>> type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0,
>>> Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
>>> connectionStringName="ADConnectionString"
>>> connectionUsername="(E-Mail Removed) om"
>>> connectionPassword="password"
>>> />
>>>
>>> I've now moved on to trying to create my own custom Provider and MembershipUser. The question I
>>> have is when and how does the MembershipUser get created and can you override how it gets
>>> created? In particular, I have several attributes held in a SQL Server database that I want to
>>> value.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Glenn

MSDN

on our Active Directory the username is not in the form of
(E-Mail Removed)
Our usernames are in the form of FirstName.LastName only.

and I have tried it, because I am desperate now,
(E-Mail Removed) and it does not work.
I have tried many combinations.

Does the user name have to be in the form of (E-Mail Removed) ??? I
don't think so.
Does LDAP require that???

So I am completely stuck.

How do I get some tools that can tell me what to do or how to test.

Thanks again,

SA

"Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are you entering for the username? It has to be in the form
> '<username>@<domain>' In my case, I have to enter
> (E-Mail Removed).
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn
>

> MSDN wrote:
>> Glenn,
>>
>> I have no errors or exceptions in my code but I keep on getting false in
>> my if statement when I try to validate the username and password.
>>
>> So the Membership object is created with no problem.
>>
>> if (Membership.ValidateUser(Login1.UserName, Login1.Password))
>>
>> Do you know what I should look for??
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>>
>> Sa
>>

>> "Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u$jI$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for your help. It turns out that I misspelled the base DN in the
>>> connection string (I actually changed the name to hide my client).
>>>
>>> My connection string now looks like this:
>>> <add name="ADConnectionString"
>>> connectionString="LDAP://192.168.32.129/DC=testdns,DC=client,DC=com" />
>>>
>>> and my Providers look like this:
>>>
>>> <add name="MembershipADProvider"
>>> type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider, System.Web,
>>> Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
>>> connectionStringName="ADConnectionString"
>>> connectionUsername="(E-Mail Removed) om"
>>> connectionPassword="password"
>>> />
>>>
>>> I've now moved on to trying to create my own custom Provider and
>>> MembershipUser. The question I have is when and how does the
>>> MembershipUser get created and can you override how it gets created? In
>>> particular, I have several attributes held in a SQL Server database that
>>> I want to value.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Glenn

MSDN

Glenn,

I can get the following with no problem

Membership.MaxInvalidPasswordAttempts.ToString()
Membership.MinRequiredPasswordLength.ToString()
Membership.PasswordAttemptWindow.ToString()
Membership.PasswordStrengthRegularExpression

So it seems that I am talking to the LDAP server or whatever.

What seems to be the problem here...

Any Ideas

Thanks again,

SA

"Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are you entering for the username? It has to be in the form
> '<username>@<domain>' In my case, I have to enter
> (E-Mail Removed).
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn
>

> MSDN wrote:
>> Glenn,
>>
>> I have no errors or exceptions in my code but I keep on getting false in
>> my if statement when I try to validate the username and password.
>>
>> So the Membership object is created with no problem.
>>
>> if (Membership.ValidateUser(Login1.UserName, Login1.Password))
>>
>> Do you know what I should look for??
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>>
>> Sa
>>

>> "Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u$jI$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for your help. It turns out that I misspelled the base DN in the
>>> connection string (I actually changed the name to hide my client).
>>>
>>> My connection string now looks like this:
>>> <add name="ADConnectionString"
>>> connectionString="LDAP://192.168.32.129/DC=testdns,DC=client,DC=com" />
>>>
>>> and my Providers look like this:
>>>
>>> <add name="MembershipADProvider"
>>> type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider, System.Web,
>>> Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
>>> connectionStringName="ADConnectionString"
>>> connectionUsername="(E-Mail Removed) om"
>>> connectionPassword="password"
>>> />
>>>
>>> I've now moved on to trying to create my own custom Provider and
>>> MembershipUser. The question I have is when and how does the
>>> MembershipUser get created and can you override how it gets created? In
>>> particular, I have several attributes held in a SQL Server database that
>>> I want to value.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Glenn

Erik Funkenbusch

On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:25:59 -0700, MSDN wrote:

> How do I get some tools that can tell me what to do or how to test.

You can't. They don't exist, that i'm aware of.

Let me ask a few questions:

1: Is the server you are running the asp.net code on a member of the
domain?

2: What is your LDAP connection string?

3: What format are you using for the useername parameter of the connection
string?

MSDN

Erik,

1. The computer I am running asp.net code on is NOT a member of the
domain.

2.
<add name="ADConnectionString_corp"
connectionString=LDAP://corp.ourdomain.com/CN=Users,DC=corp,DC=ourdomain,DC=com
/>

<providers>

<add name="MembershipADProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="ADConnectionString_corp"
connectionUsername="corp.mcbreo.com\gus.awar"
connectionPassword="G$us123456789" />

</providers>

Also,,,

I can get the following with no problem

Membership.MaxInvalidPasswordAttempts.ToString()
Membership.MinRequiredPasswordLength.ToString()
Membership.PasswordAttemptWindow.ToString()
Membership.PasswordStrengthRegularExpression

So it seems that I am talking to the LDAP server or whatever.

What seems to be the problem then...

Thank you Erik,

SA

"Erik Funkenbusch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:25:59 -0700, MSDN wrote:
>
>> How do I get some tools that can tell me what to do or how to test.

> You can't. They don't exist, that i'm aware of.
>
> Let me ask a few questions:
>
> 1: Is the server you are running the asp.net code on a member of the
> domain?
>
> 2: What is your LDAP connection string?
>
> 3: What format are you using for the useername parameter of the connection
> string?

MSDN

Erik,

1. The computer I am running asp.net code on is NOT a member of the
domain.

2.
<add name="ADConnectionString_corp"
connectionString=LDAP://corp.ourdomain.com/CN=Users,DC=corp,DC=ourdomain,DC=com
/>

<providers>

<add name="MembershipADProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="ADConnectionString_corp"
connectionUsername="corp.ourdomain.com\Sam.Agent"
connectionPassword="S$amPass123" />

</providers>

Also,,,

I can get the following with no problem

Membership.MaxInvalidPasswordAttempts.ToString()
Membership.MinRequiredPasswordLength.ToString()
Membership.PasswordAttemptWindow.ToString()
Membership.PasswordStrengthRegularExpression

So it seems that I am talking to the LDAP server or whatever.

What seems to be the problem then...

Thank you Erik,

SA

"Erik Funkenbusch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:25:59 -0700, MSDN wrote:
>
>> How do I get some tools that can tell me what to do or how to test.

> You can't. They don't exist, that i'm aware of.
>
> Let me ask a few questions:
>
> 1: Is the server you are running the asp.net code on a member of the
> domain?
>
> 2: What is your LDAP connection string?
>
> 3: What format are you using for the useername parameter of the connection
> string?

Glenn Eastlack

Sorry, this thread is getting too long and I forgot what your original
problem was. Although, it does sound like you are biding successfully.

Try using LDAP Browser (http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~gawor/ldap/) to
read your Active Directory. It's a great tool to view LDAP data stores
and also works nicely with AD.

I'm far from being a Active Directory expert. But the only way I could
bind is with a user in the form (E-Mail Removed). Per this blog
http://blogs.msdn.com/gduthie/archiv...17/452905.aspx :

"...you'll need to log in using the User Principal Name (UPN) rather
than the typical DOMAIN\user syntax used for Windows authentication. The
UPN syntax is basically user@domain (note that there may be more to it
than that..."

Thanks,
Glenn

MSDN wrote:
> Glenn,
>
> I can get the following with no problem
>
> Membership.MaxInvalidPasswordAttempts.ToString()
> Membership.MinRequiredPasswordLength.ToString()
> Membership.PasswordAttemptWindow.ToString()
> Membership.PasswordStrengthRegularExpression
>
> So it seems that I am talking to the LDAP server or whatever.
>
> What seems to be the problem here...
>
> Any Ideas
>
> Thanks again,
>
> SA
>

> "Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What are you entering for the username? It has to be in the form
>> '<username>@<domain>' In my case, I have to enter
>> (E-Mail Removed).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Glenn
>>

>> MSDN wrote:
>>> Glenn,
>>>
>>> I have no errors or exceptions in my code but I keep on getting false in
>>> my if statement when I try to validate the username and password.
>>>
>>> So the Membership object is created with no problem.
>>>
>>> if (Membership.ValidateUser(Login1.UserName, Login1.Password))
>>>
>>> Do you know what I should look for??
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>>>
>>> Sa
>>>

>>> "Glenn Eastlack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:u$jI$(E-Mail Removed)...

Erik Funkenbusch

On Thu, 18 May 2006 14:10:57 -0700, MSDN wrote:

> Erik,
>
> 1. The computer I am running asp.net code on is NOT a member of the
> domain.

If it's not a member of the domain, you will be unable to use the
WindowsTokenRoleProvider.

> 2.
> <add name="ADConnectionString_corp"
> connectionString=LDAP://corp.ourdomain.com/CN=Users,DC=corp,DC=ourdomain,DC=com
> />

Is the machine in the DMZ? If so, is it using your AD DNS? Or is it using
internet DNS? In other words, does corp.ourdomain.com resolve to your LDAP
server from the web server? If not, you may need to explicitly use IP
address, and make sure your firewall allows the pinhole.

> connectionUsername="corp.mcbreo.com\gus.awar"

You need to use the NETBIOS name here, whatever the short name for your
domain is, otherwise you need to use the username@... format, but this is
not your email address, it's your distinguished name (what you see on the
account tab in AD Users and Computers)

> So it seems that I am talking to the LDAP server or whatever.

Some things work anonymously, others do not.