Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Software > Error opening and uplodaing files containing letters such as , etc.

Error opening and uplodaing files containing letters such as , etc.

Chayanne Chayanne is offline
Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I have Windows Xp installed on several computers and basically all the software is the same everywhere. However with some computers I have trouble opening pdf file contaning letters such as , in their filename. If I change the , into a or o it works. Howevre I need to upload these files contaning their exact names, and when I do so, they are atomatically uploaded without the or . How can I set the system up so that it is able to recognise these letters and be able to work with them?

Best wishes,

Nikola

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

ä, ö are not standard text, they are unicode yes, but certain filesystem's depend on having acsii (standard text) characters, such characters as ä, ö are changed.

So it is not possible to have ä, ö in a filename, but because windows allows this there is no problem on ur system as to naming file with ä, ö... Its when copying the files from one system to another, windows Auto checks things like that, and will help u out by replacing it with a, o. This is to prevent errors in the use of windows on other systems, its to make the file universal, for all OS's, wether it be Windows Xp->95 or Linux, and even DOS.

Chayanne Chayanne is offline
Junior Member

I have a few computers, and the one next to imine is able to recognize this letters and open files contaning such letters in their names. I have to upload these files to a server using Lotus Notes and they need to be with , etc.
Everyone else is able to do it. How come only 1 or 2 computers out of 15 have this problem?

fazal.shaikh fazal.shaikh is offline
Junior Member

Can anyone tell me how to restrict the upload control to upload only *.doc files.
Thanks and Regards

Last edited by fazal.shaikh; 07-06-2007 at 11:58 AM..