Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Software > Abstract Base classes [op john gagon]

Abstract Base classes [op john gagon]

FrankLewis FrankLewis is offline
Junior Member

[from john gagon on another forum]

Can they be done away with in programming? i.e.: never use extends? Composition is supposed to be better...so why not use it all the time? I mean, forget "is a" relationship things for a moment since that can also be covered by interfaces and composition as well. When is it absolutely necessary to use it? I can see "non-instantiable" but there are ways of course to do that using other patterns (like Factory).

Also, lately, I've been looking at Fractal Class Composition for encapsulation of namespaces. I think this is an excellent/long missing standard needed for java development.