Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > wireless connection problems

wireless connection problems

mevip mevip is offline
Junior Member

hello i have a problem with my wireless connection ... if i want to leave my pc open while i sleep (i want to download something) my wireless connection times out ...
i use a access point and a USB wireless adapter and a normal hub ..
the access point is made by D-LINK ... model AirPlus G+ DWL-2000AP+
the USB adapter is made by D-LINK ... model AirPlus G DWL-G122
the hub that i connect the access point to is Pireli Age-RA
HUB <-->Access Point<--> USB adapter (thats how my network works)
my operating system is WinXp Pro
i wass thinking that maybe they are made to time out if the pc is idle for a long period of time ... like ... 1 - 2 hours ... and if its so ... can you tell me how to make it to stop doing that ?

another problem that i have is that i cant secure my connection ... i cant even change the name of my Access Point ... it reads "default" and i cant set a password ... so ... basicaly everyone can connect to my access point if they want ... any setting that i make comes back to default ... after i click appy ... no idea why
please help me ... and if you need anymore details i can even provide screenshots and whatever you need ... please help ...

Last edited by mevip; 05-17-2006 at 08:24 AM..

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Mevip:

You appear to have several problems, but maybe we can help. First of all, make sure your login account for Windows XP has administrator rights. Check yourself in the User Profile section of the Control Panel. If you aren't an administrator, you might be prevented from making system-level changes.

You should download the manuals for your equipment, and also search for drivers - especially with the wireless devices. I've had several wireless problems in the past, only to find that a driver update fixed them. I bet your timeout problem is a driver issue. If not, you might be able to have one of your programs automatically query some site on the Internet - just to keep your connection active.

Configuring WEP security is fairly straight forward, if you are running the latest software / drivers for your access point. You generally log into your wireless access point with a local IP address using the admin account for the access point. Check your manual for the name and password. If you change it (and you should), write down the new password. Make the WEP encryption changes, do the update button, and it should take.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any success.