Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process

matt.delvecchio@shell.com

i saw a similar post from last year, but i didnt see any clear
solution. the error message:

"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an
error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider,
error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A connection was
successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred
during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The
specified network name is no longer available.)"

....it would appear to have something to do w/ SQL Server connectivity.
when i get it, i get it repeatedly. however, if i go to a non-db page,
then page to a db-page, it's cleared up.

i am running ASP.NET 2.0, on a commerical hosting environment
(www.datapacket.net), w/ a SQL 2000 server. no problems in dev, usually
works in this prod env.

any ideas what would cause this strangeness?

thanks,
matt

sloan

Do a google search for

"Network Library"
"dbmssocn"

You can add some extra "hints" to the connection string, which might help.

You should post your connection string to the group, so it can be evaluated
also.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> i saw a similar post from last year, but i didnt see any clear
> solution. the error message:
>
> "A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an
> error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider,
> error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)
>
> Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A connection was
> successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred
> during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The
> specified network name is no longer available.)"
>

> ...it would appear to have something to do w/ SQL Server connectivity.
> when i get it, i get it repeatedly. however, if i go to a non-db page,
> then page to a db-page, it's cleared up.
>
> i am running ASP.NET 2.0, on a commerical hosting environment
> (www.datapacket.net), w/ a SQL 2000 server. no problems in dev, usually
> works in this prod env.
>

> any ideas what would cause this strangeness?
>
> thanks,
> matt

matt.delvecchio@shell.com

connection string:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="FooBar"
connectionString="server=x.x.x.x; database=FooBar; UID=foo; Pwd=bar"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
</connectionStrings>

matt.delvecchio@shell.com

sloan wrote:
> Do a google search for
>
> "Network Library"
> "dbmssocn"

ok can you be a littler more specific here (or, even, completely
clear)? i found some links that indicate this is a way one can set the
network library via the conn string:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q238949/

and the 2nd post here:

http://www.mcse.ms/archive85-2004-10-1155447.html

....says "dbmssocn" is the TCP/P network library and "dbnetlib" is the
new.

but, i have no idea what network libraries are, or why id want to use
them. none of the ASP.NET 2.0 articles/docs/code examples ive come
across specify a network library in the conn strings. what are these?
why did you refer them to me? are you aware of ongoing connection
difficulities if specifiying one is omitted?

thanks,
matt

sudershan.bhide@gmail.com sudershan.bhide@gmail.com is offline
Junior Member

Hi

Try to turn off the pooling, in connection string i.e pooling = false , this has solved my problem , even though the performance of application slows down but it works.

Sudershan

rasor rasor is offline
Junior Member

It might be due to SQL server authentication is not enabled on the instance localhost\sqlexpress. Right click the node of that name in the object explorer of SQL Srv Mgmt Studio and change the security.

jbehl jbehl is offline
Junior Member

I went into my services manager and guess what wasn't started? Yep you guessed it, SQL Server wasn't started. I started it up and the problem went away.

pushpaharan pushpaharan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasor
It might be due to SQL server authentication is not enabled on the instance localhost\sqlexpress. Right click the node of that name in the object explorer of SQL Srv Mgmt Studio and change the security.
yes its helped. i chenged the authentication modde to both server and windows , after it worked.

thnaks

fedceel fedceel is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasor
It might be due to SQL server authentication is not enabled on the instance localhost\sqlexpress. Right click the node of that name in the object explorer of SQL Srv Mgmt Studio and change the security.
Thank you, that helped.