Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco to HP Procurve

Cisco to HP Procurve

edavid3001@gmail.com

We are a Cisco shop. We have a 6509 which has total redundancy yet has
failed twice in 5 years. We have Cisco routers and switches at
multiple locations all of North America.

We are considering HP Procurve for our LAN infrastructure. This would
replace 6509, 2950, 1900, and other simular model switches. This is
because on paper the HP outperforms the Cisco at a much smaller cost.
Maybe not all of the feature are there, but everything we need.

Anyone else go this path? All I see from searching is people asking
about it, but never following up with the experience they had. What
were your results? Would you do it again?

Thanks for any feedback;

Edwin

the_jonesboys_posse@yahoo.com

The HP procurves are garbage, zero support from HP and little to no
usefull features.

> We are a Cisco shop. We have a 6509 which has total redundancy yet has
> failed twice in 5 years. We have Cisco routers and switches at
> multiple locations all of North America.
>
> We are considering HP Procurve for our LAN infrastructure. This would
> replace 6509, 2950, 1900, and other simular model switches. This is
> because on paper the HP outperforms the Cisco at a much smaller cost.
> Maybe not all of the feature are there, but everything we need.
>
> Anyone else go this path? All I see from searching is people asking
> about it, but never following up with the experience they had. What
> were your results? Would you do it again?
>
> Thanks for any feedback;
>
> Edwin

Linuxian Linuxian is offline
Junior Member

We went down that road. We used HP stuff for a couple of years. We have recently returned to Cisco gear for a couple of reasons.

1. I can find support material anywhere for Cisco gear.
2. Interop with wireless systems
3. Confidence in the product to conform to and in most cases set industry standards.
4. The HP just does not have the feature set needed to meet our requirements
5. HP's performace was not that great in real world production

Lothar Hofmann

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> We are a Cisco shop. We have a 6509 which has total redundancy yet has
> failed twice in 5 years. We have Cisco routers and switches at
> multiple locations all of North America.
>
> We are considering HP Procurve for our LAN infrastructure. This would
> replace 6509, 2950, 1900, and other simular model switches. This is
> because on paper the HP outperforms the Cisco at a much smaller cost.
> Maybe not all of the feature are there, but everything we need.
>
> Anyone else go this path? All I see from searching is people asking
> about it, but never following up with the experience they had. What
> were your results? Would you do it again?

Be very careful if you mix these boxes! Interoparabilty is _not_ garanteed.
We had big problems with spanning-tree for hp doesn't know about pvst.
So we stayed with Cisco.

--
Regards

Lothar Hofmann

Lothar Hofmann Mail: (E-Mail Removed)
Universitaet Siegen
ZIMT
Hoelderlinstr. 3 Phone: +49 271 740 4760
D - 57068 Siegen Fax: +49 271 740 2523

opsvlc@gmail.com

sorry, but thats not true.

I've got more than 30 HP Procurve switches; and got tickets with HP.
Got support and resolution; zero problems. About features; you told no
usefull features; could you tell me an unuseful feature you find on the
hp procurve; i cant find such special features...

opsvlc@gmail.com

I've got some catalyst in my network and you're right...some problems
linking them..but nothing without a solution.

You must be careful with spanning tree; but if you keep with latest
firmwares with cisco support you wont have any kind of problems.

Saw another problem with procurve and catalyst; sometime i got
negotiation errors linking switches configured with
autonegotiation...just forced 100Full and the problem go away.

hope this helps.

Martin Latos

> We are a Cisco shop. We have a 6509 which has total redundancy yet has
> failed twice in 5 years. We have Cisco routers and switches at
> multiple locations all of North America.
>
> We are considering HP Procurve for our LAN infrastructure. This would
> replace 6509, 2950, 1900, and other simular model switches. This is
> because on paper the HP outperforms the Cisco at a much smaller cost.
> Maybe not all of the feature are there, but everything we need.
>
> Anyone else go this path? All I see from searching is people asking
> about it, but never following up with the experience they had. What
> were your results? Would you do it again?

If you don't mix catalyst and procurve there should be no problems
whatsoever.

I'm maintaining a net with HP switches and cisco routers/pixes, and had
no problems.

AFAIK HP is better for most users, who need just basic config +
switching (catalyst are said to have some interesting features with new
CatIOSes)

ML

edavid3001@gmail.com

We do have spanning tree. We don't have the latest firmware. So must
we remove all STP from our network, or just not use STP links to the HP
switches?

We have seen problems with HP servers negotiating 100/FULL but the
Cisco Switches 100/HALF when we use the HP Insight agents (not with the
Microsoft drivers) so we force the HP servers to 100/FULL on both ends.
Is it the same problem with the switches?

XaBi

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> We do have spanning tree. We don't have the latest firmware. So must
> we remove all STP from our network, or just not use STP links to the HP
> switches?
>
> We have seen problems with HP servers negotiating 100/FULL but the
> Cisco Switches 100/HALF when we use the HP Insight agents (not with the
> Microsoft drivers) so we force the HP servers to 100/FULL on both ends.
> Is it the same problem with the switches?

well, if you keep this firmware you wont have any kind of problem with
STP. When you plan the upgrade of the firmware you will see a warning
on the HP site regarding the STP.

about the auto negotiation issue; i've got problems by connecting to
catalyst switches and to Allot net enforcers (similar to packeteers).
But the solution was the same you used; forcing 100Full link.

Note; sorry before posted with another gmail account

BG

My experience with HP is on the 4000 and 4100 serires switches. They run
OK on the edge, but I would never put them any further in then that. I can
confirm that the support for these products pretty much sucks. I dont even
believe it is 24/7. perhaps they have engineers that support the high end
gear that can do more then RMA a device. I believe that one of the most
important factors in the decision of your core should be the support that
you receive in addtion to the reliablity of the gear itself. Perhaps you
should investigate your design as well as the gear you are using.

regards,
Barry

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The HP procurves are garbage, zero support from HP and little to no
> usefull features.
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> We are a Cisco shop. We have a 6509 which has total redundancy yet has
>> failed twice in 5 years. We have Cisco routers and switches at
>> multiple locations all of North America.
>>
>> We are considering HP Procurve for our LAN infrastructure. This would
>> replace 6509, 2950, 1900, and other simular model switches. This is
>> because on paper the HP outperforms the Cisco at a much smaller cost.
>> Maybe not all of the feature are there, but everything we need.
>>
>> Anyone else go this path? All I see from searching is people asking
>> about it, but never following up with the experience they had. What
>> were your results? Would you do it again?
>>
>> Thanks for any feedback;
>>
>> Edwin

Cisco Switches vs HP ProCurve Switches Greg Cisco 5 07-01-2013 01:48 AM
HP Procurve Someone Cisco 3 10-03-2008 09:35 PM
HP ProCurve and Cisco Catalyst diebugger@email.it Cisco 3 04-03-2008 09:00 PM
Buying 3COM or HP Procurve or Cisco matthieu.patou@gmail.com Cisco 9 02-14-2008 03:12 PM
Connect cat 2950SX to Procurve 3400cl teo Cisco 1 01-12-2007 08:40 AM

Advertisments