Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Load balancing 2 ISP's & BGP?

Re: Load balancing 2 ISP's & BGP?

Rob

I don't believe I can do that. I don't control it.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:47:37 GMT, Barry Margolin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Since SBC is not a tier 1, very little traffic is coming across this
>>new T1. In order to "even out" the providers, I have prepended our
>>ASN twice onto UUNet so that SBC/Sprint would be a little more
>>preferred. This has done a decent job on inbound traffic. However,
>>we still have hardly any outbound utilization on the SBC T1.
>>Sometimes it is zero.
>>
>>Any recommendations to force, via BGP, some of the outbound traffic to
>>use SBC and not all MCI?

>Prepend your ASN to the incoming routes as well.

Rob

Um... I don't think that would do anything beneficial. Might even
stop everything flowing altogether.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:05:16 GMT, Barry Margolin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I don't believe I can do that. I don't control it.

>What don't you control? If you could prepend when advertising, why can't
>you prepend when receiving:
>
>router bgp #####
> neighbor x.x.x.x route-map prepend out
> neighbor x.x.x.x route-map prepend in
>

>>On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:47:37 GMT, Barry Margolin
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Prepend your ASN to the incoming routes as well.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Um... I don't think that would do anything beneficial. Might even
>stop everything flowing altogether.

I don't see why. It will just increase the length of the AS paths of the
routes that you receive from the Tier 2 ISP. It won't have any effect on
the routes you receive from the Tier 1 ISP.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Level(3), Woburn, MA

Rob

So do I prepend the AS both in and out on the tier 1 provider?
Or do I prepend out on tier 1 and use prepend in on the tier 2?

-Rob

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>So do I prepend the AS both in and out on the tier 1 provider?
>Or do I prepend out on tier 1 and use prepend in on the tier 2?

You should prepend both on the tier 1 (I just noticed that I got that
backward in my previous response). You want to even out the AS path
lengths in both directions.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Level(3), Woburn, MA

Rob

Gotta say Barry, it sounds real easy, but I've never seen this example
given on any Cisco docs. Have you tried it successfully?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:00:34 GMT, Barry Margolin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>So do I prepend the AS both in and out on the tier 1 provider?
>>Or do I prepend out on tier 1 and use prepend in on the tier 2?

>You should prepend both on the tier 1 (I just noticed that I got that
>backward in my previous response). You want to even out the AS path
>lengths in both directions.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gotta say Barry, it sounds real easy, but I've never seen this example
>given on any Cisco docs. Have you tried it successfully?

I think I've advised some of our customers to do it, and can't recall
anyone ever saying it didn't work. It seems intuitively obvious to me that
it should work as expected.