Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Transfer time

Transfer time

John Wright

How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a camera with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1? Does it depend on the camera make/model? On memory card make? I am planning on buying a Canon A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need a power adapter for the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster cards.

Does Sandisk Ultra II give much better transfer speed? Can Canon A-95 benefit from Sandisk Ultra II card?

Between Sandisk, Kingmax or Ridata memories - is anyone better than the others?

If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

Thanks very much for any comments.

Regards - JW

Jim

You need USB 2.0.
Jim
"John Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:412b545b$0$9811$(E-Mail Removed) ...
How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a camera with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1? Does it depend on the camera make/model? On memory card make? I am planning on buying a Canon A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need a power adapter for the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster cards.

Does Sandisk Ultra II give much better transfer speed? Can Canon A-95 benefit from Sandisk Ultra II card?

Between Sandisk, Kingmax or Ridata memories - is anyone better than the others?

If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

Thanks very much for any comments.

Regards - JW

Charlie Self

Jim asks:

> How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a =
>camera with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1? Does it =
>depend on the camera make/model? On memory card make? I am planning on =
>buying a Canon A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need =
>a power adapter for the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster =
>cards.

Get a card reader. Best under 20 bucks accessory you'll find.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Matt Ion

I picked up a Belkin "universal" card reader...only USB 1.1, but it still
transfers off my 300D's 512MB CF card (Lexar "High-Speed 16X with Write
Acceleration technology") twice as fast as transferring direct off the
camera.

USB 2.0, which supports up to 480Mbit/sec transfer rate, is probably
recommended for future considerations, but most current technologies won't
see a significant improvement over USB 1.1, which is rated 12Mbit/sec; the
16X card, for example, is rated 2.4MByte/sec, or 19.2Mbit/sec ("1X" is
defined as 150kByte/sec). Fortunately USB 2.0 add-on cards are cheap (if
your machine doesn't have 2.0 built-in - around $30-$40), and there's no
significant price difference between 1.1 and 2.0 card readers.

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein

[...]

Lourens Smak

In article <412b545b$0$9811$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"John Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a camera
> with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1?

Probably about 10 minutes. (give or take a bit)

> Does it depend on
> the camera make/model? On memory card make?

No, the lousy speed comes from USB1.
USB2 or Firewire will be much faster, when using this, card-speed
becomes the limiting factor.
40x speed is about 6MB/sec (512 card: 2 minutes)
check card specs carefully, most are slower when writing (in camera)
than when reading. (transfer to computer).

>I am planning on buying a Canon
> A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need a power adapter for
> the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster cards.
>
> Does Sandisk Ultra II give much better transfer speed?

Not with USB 1.

> Can Canon A-95 benefit
> from Sandisk Ultra II card?

Don't know, maybe it can write faster than a cheapo card can handle, but
probably not, as not even the 1Ds can use the Ultra2 speed.

(but of course you could maybe use the speed of the card in a future
faster camera, only when that camera arrives, a new 80x 512Mb card will
cost 1/4 of what it costs now...)

> Between Sandisk, Kingmax or Ridata memories - is anyone better than the
> others?

Manufacturers try hard to make you believe that, but I am not convinced
that there are huge differences, apart from the speed of really fast
cards. (Sandisk Extreme/Ultra2, Lexar 80x) There are very affordable
cards that read at 40x speed (about 6MB/sec). I doubt there is ANY
difference in reliability.

> If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility
> that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC
> may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

From what I hear is that switching off the camera while the camera is
still *writing*, is cause nr.1 of corrupt data/cards. If this happens
(either due to flat battery or mistake) when *reading* data from the
camera, I don't think it is harmful...

Lourens

Brian C. Baird

says...
> > Can Canon A-95 benefit
> > from Sandisk Ultra II card?

> Don't know, maybe it can write faster than a cheapo card can handle, but
> probably not, as not even the 1Ds can use the Ultra2 speed.

The 1Ds is two years old. It predates a lot of the speed improvements
made to memory cards.

> > If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility
> > that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC
> > may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

> From what I hear is that switching off the camera while the camera is
> still *writing*, is cause nr.1 of corrupt data/cards. If this happens
> (either due to flat battery or mistake) when *reading* data from the
> camera, I don't think it is harmful...

Most cameras these days continue writing data even when the power is
turned off.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

John Wright

Thanks for all the responses - much appreciated.

If USB 1.1 takes 10 minutes and USB 2.0 takes 2 minutes to transfer 512MB, I
can't see a significant benefit in USB 2.0. How often does one (not
professional photographer) need to transfer data from camera to a PC or
Printer? Perhaps once, twice a month? Can't wait that extra 8 minutes? Life
is not that fast for me yet, luckily.

- JW