Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ICC profile for Dell 2000FP LCD monitor

ICC profile for Dell 2000FP LCD monitor

Gisle Hannemyr

On p. 157 in "Real World Photoshop CS", David Blatner and Bruce Fraser
say that visual calibration of LCD screens with tools such as Adobe
Gamma does not work (they are right).

Instead they suggest that LCD users that doesn't want to invest in a
colorimeter use the "factory supplied ICC profile".

Does anyone know where I can find this for a Dell 2000FP 20" LCD?
(I've alreday searched Google and Dell's website - and I've emailed
Dell with no reply yet).

Mark M

"Gisle Hannemyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On p. 157 in "Real World Photoshop CS", David Blatner and Bruce Fraser
> say that visual calibration of LCD screens with tools such as Adobe
> Gamma does not work (they are right).
>
> Instead they suggest that LCD users that doesn't want to invest in a
> colorimeter use the "factory supplied ICC profile".
>
> Does anyone know where I can find this for a Dell 2000FP 20" LCD?
> (I've alreday searched Google and Dell's website - and I've emailed
> Dell with no reply yet).

Get on the phone and talk to Dell's tech support specific to monitors.
Surely they'll have an answer for you.
Not all monitor makers provide or create a profile though...

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that Gisle Hannemyr <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>On p. 157 in "Real World Photoshop CS", David Blatner and Bruce Fraser
>say that visual calibration of LCD screens with tools such as Adobe
>Gamma does not work (they are right).
>
>Instead they suggest that LCD users that doesn't want to invest in a
>colorimeter use the "factory supplied ICC profile".
>
>Does anyone know where I can find this for a Dell 2000FP 20" LCD?
>(I've alreday searched Google and Dell's website - and I've emailed
>Dell with no reply yet).

Most likely, your screen is probably actually made by another company, &
is rebadged by Dell. If you check the nameplate on the back (where the
serial number is), it might list the name of the actual manufacturer, or
their own model number. If you can find that out, you should be able to
track down the manufacturers website via Google, & get a profile there.

Please note that you'll need to reset your screen to the factory
defaults for colour / brightness / colour-temp if you want the factory
profile to have the best accuracy. (It still won't be very accurate, but
it should at least be a major improvement over that useless Adobe Gamma
gizmo.) Also, most LCDs (even if calibrated) won't give you anywhere
near the colour/tonal accuracy of a calibrated CRT, so they aren't a
very good choice for photographic work. I use a dual-screen setup here,
with an LCD for text work, & a pro CRT for photography for this reason.

wayne

I found it in about 15 seconds

Go to support then choose downloads

pick any system then for downloads choose monitors then pick your monitor
and download

Wayne

"Gisle Hannemyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On p. 157 in "Real World Photoshop CS", David Blatner and Bruce Fraser
> say that visual calibration of LCD screens with tools such as Adobe
> Gamma does not work (they are right).
>
> Instead they suggest that LCD users that doesn't want to invest in a
> colorimeter use the "factory supplied ICC profile".
>
> Does anyone know where I can find this for a Dell 2000FP 20" LCD?
> (I've alreday searched Google and Dell's website - and I've emailed
> Dell with no reply yet).
> --
> - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
> «To live outside the law, you must be honest.» (Bob Dylan)

Gisle Hannemyr

"wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I found it in about 15 seconds
> Go to support then choose downloads
> pick any system then for downloads choose monitors then pick your
> monitor and download

Thanks - got it now.

(Silly me assumed that monitors would be a category on their own.)

wayne

no problem logic only works if you know the kind of logic the other person
is using. I have been using Dell support pages for years!

Wayne