Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help with selection of DV Camcorder

Help with selection of DV Camcorder

Ron Diehl

There is no Digi Camcorder newsgroup, so i thought i would try this
group--since it is about digital photography.

I am a casual, camcorder user and i need to replace my poor pq, by
todays standards, 1989 8mm camcorder. i have a Panny E100 PVR/DVD
burner with a "DV" input--labeled as "IEEE 1394 Standard, 4 pin". So
my thought is i would use this to transfer the contents to the HDD and
view/edit/burn a DVD there. i want to spend no more than say $800 in
this years technology, which would include the Panny PV-GS200. i have
a Fuji 602 which is use for stills.

my questions are:
1. does anyone here do this regularly with their setup, and if so what
problems to you have?
2. what brands do i stay away from?
3. is the "Mini DV" truly compatible across different manufactures?
4. what are the features i should really consider.
5. any additional info is really appreciated.

tia,
ron

The "E" has been removed from my return email address. Please add an E between the n&t to make .nEt to email a reply.

PTravel

"Ron Diehl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no Digi Camcorder newsgroup, so i thought i would try this
> group--since it is about digital photography.

Of course there is. Try rec.video, rec.video.desktop and
rec.video.production

> I am a casual, camcorder user and i need to replace my poor pq, by
> todays standards, 1989 8mm camcorder. i have a Panny E100 PVR/DVD
> burner with a "DV" input--labeled as "IEEE 1394 Standard, 4 pin". So
> my thought is i would use this to transfer the contents to the HDD and
> view/edit/burn a DVD there. i want to spend no more than say $800 in
> this years technology, which would include the Panny PV-GS200. i have
> a Fuji 602 which is use for stills.
>
> my questions are:
> 1. does anyone here do this regularly with their setup, and if so what
> problems to you have?

Editing in a dedicated DVD burner will be difficult if not impossible for
anything other than the most basic kinds of things. If you have a computer,
capture your video to the hard drive, edit there, transcode and then burn to
DVD.

> 2. what brands do i stay away from?

I'd avoid the cheaper Panasonic camcorder (meaning anything in your price
range). As a general rule, current consumer camcorder manufacturers are
focusing on gimmicks and gadgets, rather than video quality. Canon Optura
tends to be a better low-end camcorder, as does a number of Sony's
offerings.

> 3. is the "Mini DV" truly compatible across different manufactures?

Yes.

> 4. what are the features i should really consider.

Camcorders are not digital still cameras. The more focus on still imaging,
the poorer the video. Be concerned about low-light performance, which is
pretty dismal in all consumer offerings. However, some tend to perform
worse than others -- you don't want a camcorder that is usable only in
bright sunlight. Look for a camcorder that does analogue pass-through, so
that you can easily digitize all your 8mm video.