Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Load balancing 2 ISP's & BGP?

Re: Load balancing 2 ISP's & BGP?

Terry Baranski

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:48:55 -0400, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We have our own ASN and support full Internet routing tables for best
>service out of the providers.

If the only reason you're accepting full routing tables is to load
balance outbound traffic and that's no longer happening because your
providers don't have similar connectivity to the Internet, perhaps
you're better off accepting only customer routes + a default from each
provider. Outbound traffic to a customer of either ISP will go out
the appropriate link, while other traffic will be load balanced (CEF,
per-destination) via the two equal-cost default routes.

Rob

Is that a good idea to use CEF and load balance across two ISP's?
I do that with private T1's to get a virtual 3Mb pipe, but I thought
that was unheard of on the Internet. Without equal paths, all packets
would be out of order.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:41:22 -0400, Terry Baranski
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:48:55 -0400, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>We have our own ASN and support full Internet routing tables for best
>>service out of the providers.

>If the only reason you're accepting full routing tables is to load
>balance outbound traffic and that's no longer happening because your
>providers don't have similar connectivity to the Internet, perhaps
>you're better off accepting only customer routes + a default from each
>provider. Outbound traffic to a customer of either ISP will go out
>the appropriate link, while other traffic will be load balanced (CEF,
>per-destination) via the two equal-cost default routes.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Is that a good idea to use CEF and load balance across two ISP's?
>I do that with private T1's to get a virtual 3Mb pipe, but I thought
>that was unheard of on the Internet. Without equal paths, all packets
>would be out of order.

Use per-flow load balancing rather than per-packet.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Level(3), Woburn, MA