Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anybody else using Linux?

Anybody else using Linux?

Ken Scharf

I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
Program) to edit and print my pictures.

Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
(because it was written for "a different" OS)?

BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

ColynGİ

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:10 -0400, Ken Scharf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
>have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
>Program) to edit and print my pictures.
>
>Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
>who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
>(because it was written for "a different" OS)?
>
>BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
>usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

I have a machine with Suse Linux v9.

I'm still learning to use it though.

I use Gimp but prefer Photo Shop.

Colyn Goodson

email hidden

http://www.colyngoodson.com

PieterB

Op Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:10 -0400, schreef Ken Scharf:

> I am running Linux on my home computer, and I have been using the GIMP
> (that's Gnu Image Manipulation Program) to edit and print my pictures.
>
> Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there who DON'T use the
> software that came with your camera (because it was written for "a
> different" OS)?
>
> BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another usefull digicam program
> called Gphoto.

I use Linux too, but with Crossover Office so I can run
Photoshop 7 (not CS..) I mount my digitale camera's as a
mass drive(r) and scan my analog photo's (which I prefer)
with vuescan.

--
mvg Pieter Baele
[JID] http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Randall Ainsworth

In article <m5KVc.5989$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Scharf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
> have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
> Program) to edit and print my pictures.
>
> Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
> who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
> (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
>
> BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
> usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

*cough* loser *cough*

Allodoxaphobia

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:10 -0400, Ken Scharf hath writ:
> I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
> have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
> Program) to edit and print my pictures.
>
> Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
> who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
> (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
>
> BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
> usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

At a minimum, there is: comp.graphics.apps.gimp

--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

Gordon Henderson

In article <m5KVc.5989$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ken Scharf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
>have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
>Program) to edit and print my pictures.
>
>Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
>who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
>(because it was written for "a different" OS)?

Debian Linux here, camera mounts via USB and VueScan is used for scanning
slides via SCSI slide scanner.

XV & GIMP to view & manipulate (& print) images.

Gordon

Rodrick Dalton

Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world
is stuck using that microsoft crap......

Unlike Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> who
admits in his reply to being a :
*cough* loser *cough*
problably because he is one of those poor brain-washed MicroSurfs
who believes the pro MicroSoft hype. I mean if Linux is so good why don't cameras come with Linux software in the box instead of programs for Windows.
There is a really good reason for this... the standard versions of Linux have a great photo-editing program included called GIMP (www.gimp.org), and a program called Gphoto (http://www.gphoto.org/) which cam connect to most digital cammeras out there.
Yeah it really sucks that with the software on the the Linux CDs I can use all the hardware connected to my computer.... I don't need to have lots of CDs with drivers.

Well that's my 2 cents worth....

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:10 -0400
Ken Scharf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
> have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
> Program) to edit and print my pictures.
>
> Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
> who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
> (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
>
> BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
> usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

Phil Wheeler

Rodrick Dalton wrote:

> Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world
> is stuck using that microsoft crap......

Uhhh .. seems like anyone can use Linux if they so choose; no one is
"stuck".

I have Linux installed on a couple of machines. So far its utility,
other than as an anti-Microsoft gesture, is limited. There is a wide
range of apps, but most of the special ones I use in the Windows
environment do not exist for Linux. And some hardware issues (e.g.,
wireless LAN with Centrino) are much more tedious to deal with.

No issues with Linux -- but knee-jerk Microsoft bashing is silly.

Phil

Hils

Ken Scharf wrote

>I'm happy with the Gimp, perhaps because I never used Photoshop
>first. The Gimp can do almost everything that PS does, and a
>few things it can't. However once you've learned PS, you probably
>wouldn't want to switch to the gimp. Big re-learning curve.

The most noticeable difference I found between them was that on
identical hardware PS ran significantly faster.

--
Hil

Ken Scharf

Phil Wheeler wrote:

> Rodrick Dalton wrote:
>
>> Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world is
>> stuck using that microsoft crap......
>>

> Uhhh .. seems like anyone can use Linux if they so choose; no one is
> "stuck".
>
> I have Linux installed on a couple of machines. So far its utility,
> other than as an anti-Microsoft gesture, is limited. There is a wide
> range of apps, but most of the special ones I use in the Windows
> environment do not exist for Linux. And some hardware issues (e.g.,
> wireless LAN with Centrino) are much more tedious to deal with.
>
> No issues with Linux -- but knee-jerk Microsoft bashing is silly.
>
> Phil

Most of the reasons for bashing M$ are political. There are
some real grips about their software not being secure, but
if you only ran Linux as Root you might have security problems
as well.
Since I tend to build my own computers from
parts rather than just throwing coin at Dell or Gateway, I like
putting the OS together as well. I used to run Debian here,
I've switched to Gentoo as it's easier to have the latest
version of everything with Gentoo.

Software engineers (such as myself) probably see more to Linux
than the casual user because of all the really great (and free)
software development tools available for Linux. (not that there
aren't good sw tools for windows, but some are rather expensive.)

Eventually I just might get Win4Lin installed so I can run
windows on top of Linux for those few must have applications
(games mostly) that just won't run under Linux any other way.
Maybe one day win4lin will support XP, right now it's only
good for 95-ME.