Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying Online

Buying Online

Shannon

I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

George

Why don't you check out the seller in question at www.resellerratings.com?
Some sellers
never bother to ship anything, many NYC dealers gut the package of standard
items then
will only sell if you buy them back at inflated prices...there are too many
tricks to list, but
the above-mentioned website ought to give you some idea if you wish to deal
with a given
seller.

"Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7AVc.199968$eM2.3929@attbi_s51...
> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
> that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
> know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
> warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
> should be concerned about?
> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shannon

Jem Raid

"Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7AVc.199968$eM2.3929@attbi_s51...
> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
> that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
> know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
> warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
> should be concerned about?
> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shannon

I bought a Casio camera from a place in London, I asked on here if anyone
else had bought from there, they had, so I did too

Jem

Ken

Hi Shannon,

Be careful where you buy! I called several companies and asked about the
products that they were offering. The less cheaper prices usually did not
include the typical and necessary accessories. For instance, the camera did
not come with the battery and charger. They were gracious to offer the
battery and charger for an additional fee that would add up to about the
same price of other companies that included them.

CALL and ask questions! Just remember, if the price looks too good to be
true, it probably is!

Halon

"Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7AVc.199968$eM2.3929@attbi_s51...
> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
> that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
> know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
> warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
> should be concerned about?
> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shannon

Ken Scharf

Shannon wrote:
> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
> that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
> know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
> warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
> should be concerned about?
> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shannon

Reasons why price is low:

1: Many local stores sell at full list price (MSLP or MSRP).
This price is designed to leave a LOT of profit margin for the
dealer. Mass market mail order shops can live on lower profit
margins and pass the savings to the buyer. BUT BEWARE, what
you save on price you may give away to UPS, FEDX or USPS.

2: Gray Market goods. Also called Parallel inports or twice
imported. In this case the MSRP abroad translated into US
dollars is less. The dealer is playing the currency game here.
But your warranty might not be any good. However a good dealer
will back the camera with his own warranty. Many of the
NY camera shops sell Gray Market, but provide the buyer with
their own warranty equal or better than the factory. If the
dealer is also a repair point (many are) even better.

3: Gutted packages. Dealers who sell ONLY the body and charge
extra for the included goodies. But some dealers buy the bodies
alone in bulk packs as Gray Market and include generic accessories.

4: Factory refub goods. Nothing wrong here. A factory
reconditioned camera is as good as a brand new one IF it
came from the factory! BUT, you should be told that's
what you are buying. Such goods can not be legaly sold as
new (in the US anyway. So Gray Market goods could be
refurbs if selling such as new is legal in the country
it was exported from).

5: Factory rejects, seconds. BEWARE!!!!

Al Dykes

Always check

www.resellerratings.com

before you buy from a mail order place you're not familiar with.

Compare the results for your store to bhphoto.com or adorama.com

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Dave

I would buy from one of the very reliable online merchants that are widely
known. In my opinion, there really aren't that many. B&H Photo Video in
NYC is one. I'm sure there are others. Know exactly what you expect to
receive and go over the list on the phone. Do whatever research is required
to get that list. Pay with MC/VISA and make sure that your issuing bank's
policy permits you to contest the charges should something "go south." I
have seen some banks' policies that make it more difficult to contest
charges when the merchant is more than 50 miles away. That was years ago,
maybe the banks are doing something different now.

"Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7AVc.199968$eM2.3929@attbi_s51...
> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
> that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
> know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
> warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
> should be concerned about?
> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shannon

Verne Cotton

Caveat Emptor!!
I almost bought an Oly 8080 from a grey area dealer only to find out that it
was an "import model". This means that you get a Japanese camera with a
Japanese manual, no battery, straps of any of the other goodies that comes
in the box with at the retail outlet.
So don't let greed rule your decision or you will get screwed.
After my near screwing, I finally found Beach Camera: an official online Oly
dealer (other brands too) and a dealer recommended by Steve's Digiicams.com.
The weren't the cheapest place but still a lot lower than retail.
I called them to discuss my order just to make sure that I was getting what
I paid for and they were polite, helpful, and professional. Bottom line: I
got my Oly 8080 WZ with case, spare battery and a full box for around 800
bucks including free shipping. I don't think you are going to beat that.
Good luck with your shopping.
Verne

"Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7AVc.199968$eM2.3929@attbi_s51...
> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
> that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
> know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
> warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
> should be concerned about?
> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shannon

lefty

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:33:21 GMT, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

You gotta be careful///sometimes a too good price is just that; these
are dealers that get a price breakpoint at ~100 units. They hold all
their orders until they satisfy that breakpoint...could be month or
more. And you sit waiting... Also... use VISA - not a promo for
them, but they support your purchase and in alot of cases, double your
warranty if from a dealer.

>I would buy from one of the very reliable online merchants that are widely
>known. In my opinion, there really aren't that many. B&H Photo Video in
>NYC is one. I'm sure there are others. Know exactly what you expect to
>receive and go over the list on the phone. Do whatever research is required
>to get that list. Pay with MC/VISA and make sure that your issuing bank's
>policy permits you to contest the charges should something "go south." I
>have seen some banks' policies that make it more difficult to contest
>charges when the merchant is more than 50 miles away. That was years ago,
>maybe the banks are doing something different now.
>
>"Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news7AVc.199968$eM2.3929@attbi_s51...
>> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
>> that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
>> know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
>> warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
>> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
>> should be concerned about?
>> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Shannon

Ken Scharf

Verne Cotton wrote:
> Caveat Emptor!!
> I almost bought an Oly 8080 from a grey area dealer only to find out that it
> was an "import model". This means that you get a Japanese camera with a
> Japanese manual, no battery, straps of any of the other goodies that comes
> in the box with at the retail outlet.
> So don't let greed rule your decision or you will get screwed.
> After my near screwing, I finally found Beach Camera: an official online Oly
> dealer (other brands too) and a dealer recommended by Steve's Digiicams.com.
> The weren't the cheapest place but still a lot lower than retail.
> I called them to discuss my order just to make sure that I was getting what
> I paid for and they were polite, helpful, and professional. Bottom line: I
> got my Oly 8080 WZ with case, spare battery and a full box for around 800
> bucks including free shipping. I don't think you are going to beat that.
> Good luck with your shopping.
> Verne
>

> "Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news7AVc.199968$eM2.3929@attbi_s51...
>
>> I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
>>that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
>>know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
>>warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
>> Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
>>should be concerned about?
>> If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Shannon

That's a fair price on the C8080, still a bit below the MSRP and not
really above the 'street price'.
Factory referb C8080's are already on ebay, and for not much less
than that!

Good luck with your new camera. I was looking at the current crop
of 8mp cameras and none of them seemed perfect, though the Oly was
the closest to it. If it only had a manual zoom ring, optical
finder and used AA batteries! But then maybe what I really wanted
was a true SLR at a rangefinder price.