Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 20D and new lenses - official

Canon 20D and new lenses - official

JPS@no.komm

In message <5lvVc.4021$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>[]
>> Well, I have the 24mm f1.4L and 50mm f1.4, and they are both very soft
>> wide open. Letting in lots of light does not mean letting in lots of
>> quality light! They tighten up pretty good though, with just a stop
>> or two. I really wouldn't use them at 1.4 unless I wanted a very soft
>> image on purpose; their main value is in the viewfinder.

>So why not buy cheaper F/2 lenses that work properly over their whole
>operating range? Are you saying the the brighter viewefind image
>justifies the expense?

The cheaper, slower lenses may not be as sharp as the faster ones, at
the same f-stop in the f4 to f11 range. And they will not focus as well
in poor lighting, either manual, or AF.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

David J Taylor

[]
> The cheaper, slower lenses may not be as sharp as the faster ones, at
> the same f-stop in the f4 to f11 range. And they will not focus as
> well in poor lighting, either manual, or AF.

Fair enough - thanks.

David

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>I have been trying to decide on a lens for the Canon 10 d and from what I am
>reading, since I am new at this, Most of the lenses on the market are soft,
>Canons , Sigmas, Tamrons, on and on except the L glass from Canod. If so
>what good is a 8 mp Camera if the lenses will not take advange of it.

It sounds like you've been reading too many of the Preddiot's posts.
Any of the Canon lenses that are good on a film body will be good on the
digital bodies as well. Speaking from personal experience with the 10D,
my asdvice for the 10D user on a budget who wants razor sharp photos is
to get some of the Canon primes, rather than relying exclusively on
zooms.