Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 20D and new lenses - official

Canon 20D and new lenses - official

Tony Spadaro

Here is the announcement
http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...9_eos_20d.html
I think I'm about ready to make the jump to digital with a camera that is
1500 for the body and will have 3 EF-S wide angle lenses that will fit it.
With the 17-85 IS lens the camera comes to 2Grand -- which is well under the
amount I spend on film and processing in two years. There is also a lens
starting at 10mm - but it is pricy and only goes to 22mm. Here is the
release on the lenses:
http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...fs_lenses.html
There is also a new flash:
http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...819_580ex.html
for those who are into them.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that "Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated
that:

> Here is the announcement
>http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...9_eos_20d.html
> I think I'm about ready to make the jump to digital with a camera that is
>1500 for the body and will have 3 EF-S wide angle lenses that will fit it.
>With the 17-85 IS lens the camera comes to 2Grand -- which is well under the
>amount I spend on film and processing in two years.

I think you're making a wise decision, Tony. The 10D is a good enough
camera that it has pretty much retired my film bodies, & the 20D looks
to be quite a big improvement on the 10D. So far, the most useful (ie;
unbiased, "warts & all") review I've seen of the 20D is the one on Rob
Galbraith's site:
<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6458-7153>
The only thing I can find to bitch about on the 20D is the tiny buffer
for RAW shots.

Annika1980

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>The only thing I can find to bitch about on the 20D is the tiny buffer
>for RAW shots.

Agreed. Six shots just doesn't cut it at 5fps.
You can't even shoot an entire golf swing using RAW mode since the golf swing
takes about 2 seconds. I guess I could get 2 20Ds, though.

On the plus side, the 20D offers enhanced White Balance adjustments. You can
really dial the correct WB setting in when shooting in JPG mode, which might
make this option more attractive. One of the main benefits to shooting in RAW
mode is the ability to fine tune the WB at conversion time.

Steve

I have been trying to decide on a lens for the Canon 10 d and from what I am
reading, since I am new at this, Most of the lenses on the market are soft,
Canons , Sigmas, Tamrons, on and on except the L glass from Canod. If so
what good is a 8 mp Camera if the lenses will not take advange of it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kibo informs me that "Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated
> that:
>
> > Here is the announcement
> >http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...9_eos_20d.html
> > I think I'm about ready to make the jump to digital with a camera that

is
> >1500 for the body and will have 3 EF-S wide angle lenses that will fit

it.
> >With the 17-85 IS lens the camera comes to 2Grand -- which is well under

the
> >amount I spend on film and processing in two years.

> I think you're making a wise decision, Tony. The 10D is a good enough
> camera that it has pretty much retired my film bodies, & the 20D looks
> to be quite a big improvement on the 10D. So far, the most useful (ie;
> unbiased, "warts & all") review I've seen of the 20D is the one on Rob
> Galbraith's site:
> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6458-7153>
> The only thing I can find to bitch about on the 20D is the tiny buffer
> for RAW shots.

Chris Brown

In article <PHmVc.286204$a24.85226@attbi_s03>, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have been trying to decide on a lens for the Canon 10 d and from what I am
>reading, since I am new at this, Most of the lenses on the market are soft,
>Canons , Sigmas, Tamrons, on and on except the L glass from Canod.

Only if you insist on using zooms, and then shooting them wide open.

Tony Spadaro

Who told you the lenses are soft? If you are looking at 20o dollar
all-in-ones -- yes they will be soft, but you can buy a damn sharp Canon
50mm f1.8 for 80 bucks. Stick with good lenses and forget the generalities.

--
newsHmVc.286204$a24.85226@attbi_s03...
> I have been trying to decide on a lens for the Canon 10 d and from what I

am
> reading, since I am new at this, Most of the lenses on the market are

soft,
> Canons , Sigmas, Tamrons, on and on except the L glass from Canod. If so
> what good is a 8 mp Camera if the lenses will not take advange of it.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Kibo informs me that "Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated
> > that:
> >
> > > Here is the announcement

>http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...9_eos_20d.html
> > > I think I'm about ready to make the jump to digital with a camera

that
> is
> > >1500 for the body and will have 3 EF-S wide angle lenses that will fit

> it.
> > >With the 17-85 IS lens the camera comes to 2Grand -- which is well

under
> the
> > >amount I spend on film and processing in two years.

> > I think you're making a wise decision, Tony. The 10D is a good enough
> > camera that it has pretty much retired my film bodies, & the 20D looks
> > to be quite a big improvement on the 10D. So far, the most useful (ie;
> > unbiased, "warts & all") review I've seen of the 20D is the one on Rob
> > Galbraith's site:
> > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6458-7153>
> > The only thing I can find to bitch about on the 20D is the tiny buffer
> > for RAW shots.
> >
> > --
> > . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
> > \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
> > ---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------

Brian C. Baird

In article <nmhVc.179431$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Here is the announcement
> http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...9_eos_20d.html
> I think I'm about ready to make the jump to digital with a camera that is
> 1500 for the body and will have 3 EF-S wide angle lenses that will fit it.
> With the 17-85 IS lens the camera comes to 2Grand -- which is well under the
> amount I spend on film and processing in two years. There is also a lens
> starting at 10mm - but it is pricy and only goes to 22mm. Here is the
> release on the lenses:
> http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...fs_lenses.html
> There is also a new flash:
> http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...819_580ex.html
> for those who are into them.

Damn spiffy! It's lighter, the noise is purported to be lower and a
higher burst rate is awesome and a half. I'm glad they upgraded the AF,
too.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Brian C. Baird

In article <PHmVc.286204$a24.85226@attbi_s03>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have been trying to decide on a lens for the Canon 10 d and from what I am
> reading, since I am new at this, Most of the lenses on the market are soft,
> Canons , Sigmas, Tamrons, on and on except the L glass from Canod. If so
> what good is a 8 mp Camera if the lenses will not take advange of it.

People are overly concerned with "softness." Yes the L series glass
Canon makes is typically extremely sharp, but there are some very sharp
consumer lenses from Canon, too.

If you're looking for sharp and cheap, you can't get any better than the
50mm f/1.8. The autofocus is a little slow, but it's $80. For a little
more money, the 20mm f/2.8 USM and 28mm f/1.8 USM are very sharp primes.

In the zooms, you can get L glass for under a grand with the 17-40mm
f/4L at about $750 and the 70-200mm f/4L for about $650. They aren't
the fastest lenses, but f/4 is fast enough for most amateurs.

In the consumer zooms, the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a decent lens.
It isn't super sharp ALL of the time, but the image stabilization helps
in low light. For about $450, it's a bargain.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Brown <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote:

>In article <PHmVc.286204$a24.85226@attbi_s03>, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I have been trying to decide on a lens for the Canon 10 d and from what I am
>>reading, since I am new at this, Most of the lenses on the market are soft,
>>Canons , Sigmas, Tamrons, on and on except the L glass from Canod.

>Only if you insist on using zooms, and then shooting them wide open.

Well, I have the 24mm f1.4L and 50mm f1.4, and they are both very soft
wide open. Letting in lots of light does not mean letting in lots of
quality light! They tighten up pretty good though, with just a stop or
two. I really wouldn't use them at 1.4 unless I wanted a very soft
image on purpose; their main value is in the viewfinder.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[]
> Well, I have the 24mm f1.4L and 50mm f1.4, and they are both very soft
> wide open. Letting in lots of light does not mean letting in lots of
> quality light! They tighten up pretty good though, with just a stop
> or two. I really wouldn't use them at 1.4 unless I wanted a very soft
> image on purpose; their main value is in the viewfinder.

So why not buy cheaper F/2 lenses that work properly over their whole
operating range? Are you saying the the brighter viewefind image
justifies the expense?

Cheers,
David