Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 20D - impressive stuff

EOS 20D - impressive stuff

leo

"Sabineellen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Spot meter would have been nice, but it's not something I can't live w/o.

> Has no spot meter? Whoaa what an omission. Even my inexpensive P&S digicam
> has
> a spot meter option (as well as center-weighted and average). Why did they
> omit
> that? It couldn't have been hard or expensive to implement.

It still has partial metering, 9% of the center portion. Not totally
hadicapped. Spot metering usually measures the center 3.5% though.

Brian C. Baird

In article <cg3iqi$hqr$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Really. It's got three BIG holes: spot meter, RGB histograms (for both RAW
> and processed), and some way to get grid lines on the screen.

Those wouldn't cost much to implement, but still - same street price as
the 10D upon release and lighter and smaller to boot!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Mark M

"Sabineellen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Spot meter would have been nice, but it's not something I can't live w/o.

> Has no spot meter? Whoaa what an omission. Even my inexpensive P&S digicam

has
> a spot meter option (as well as center-weighted and average). Why did they

omit
> that? It couldn't have been hard or expensive to implement.

While many P&S digicams refer to a "spot meter", it is often not a very
pin-pointed "spot" it uses. Often it is merely the center portion, but a
rather large center portion...rather than true spot.

Mark M

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Chris Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There are previews up on most of the usual sites now. I must say, Canon

> seem
> > to have excelled themselves. The new AF system with the little joystick
> > looks very cool, and the noise performance, being equal to or better

than
> > the 10D with smaller pixels is very impressive indeed. Looks like there

> are
> > lots of interface improvements and other little niceties over the 10D as
> > well.
> >
> > It certainly looks like more of an upgrade than the leaked specs

> suggested,
> > but I'll still stick with the 10D. If it had a spot meter, I'd perhaps

> feel
> > differently. Time to settle back down to waiting for a digital EOS 3.
> >

> Update - according to a review by Rob Galbraith, the buffer is only good

for
> 6 (!) images when shooting raw, compared to 24 for jpg. That's not so

good.

On the dpreview site, they have sound recordings available that play back a
full 36 shots at full res jpeg without slowing at all. That's a lot more
than 24.
They did not record for RAW...

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Sabineellen) wrote:

>>Spot meter would have been nice, but it's not something I can't live w/o.

>Has no spot meter? Whoaa what an omission. Even my inexpensive P&S digicam has
>a spot meter option (as well as center-weighted and average). Why did they omit
>that? It couldn't have been hard or expensive to implement.

It's probably more difficult than on your P&S, because your P&S has live
feed, and reading an 8*8 pixel spot on it would be trivial. The DSLRs
need a separate sensor for metering than for exposing.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Skip M

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Sabineellen) wrote:
>
> >>Spot meter would have been nice, but it's not something I can't live

w/o.

> >Has no spot meter? Whoaa what an omission. Even my inexpensive P&S

digicam has
> >a spot meter option (as well as center-weighted and average). Why did

they omit
> >that? It couldn't have been hard or expensive to implement.

> It's probably more difficult than on your P&S, because your P&S has live
> feed, and reading an 8*8 pixel spot on it would be trivial. The DSLRs
> need a separate sensor for metering than for exposing.

> John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

I wonder what percentage of coverage that spot meter in the P&S is...
The Canon D30/D60/10D/20D has a 9% "partial" spot meter. My A2 had a 3%,
IIRC, spot meter, and my 1n a 2.5%, again, IIRC, since I'm too lazy to
toddle into the other room to get the manuals. My hand held Sekonic spot
meter was 1%, which, I believe is the same as the Nikon F5.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

David J. Littleboy

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> w/o.
> > >
> > >Has no spot meter? Whoaa what an omission. Even my inexpensive P&S

> digicam has
> > >a spot meter option (as well as center-weighted and average). Why did

> they omit
> > >that? It couldn't have been hard or expensive to implement.

> > It's probably more difficult than on your P&S, because your P&S has live
> > feed, and reading an 8*8 pixel spot on it would be trivial. The DSLRs
> > need a separate sensor for metering than for exposing.
> > --
> >
> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
> > John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

> I wonder what percentage of coverage that spot meter in the P&S is...
> The Canon D30/D60/10D/20D has a 9% "partial" spot meter. My A2 had a 3%,
> IIRC, spot meter, and my 1n a 2.5%, again, IIRC, since I'm too lazy to
> toddle into the other room to get the manuals. My hand held Sekonic spot
> meter was 1%, which, I believe is the same as the Nikon F5.

All the high end consumer digicam spot meters I know about are true 1% spot
meters. The one in the F707 works great.

By the way, to add insult to injury, the 10D and 300D have SEVEN spot
meters. They only work with flash, though, and on the 300D, the lack of FEC
means that it gives the wrong exposure almost every time. On the 10D, people
who understand spot metering get correctly exposed flash shots, if they
remember to dial in the exposure compensation at every shot.

David J. Littleboy
(E-Mail Removed)
Tokyo, Japan

David J Taylor

Skip M wrote:
[]
> I wonder what percentage of coverage that spot meter in the P&S is...
> The Canon D30/D60/10D/20D has a 9% "partial" spot meter. My A2 had a
> 3%, IIRC, spot meter, and my 1n a 2.5%, again, IIRC, since I'm too
> lazy to toddle into the other room to get the manuals. My hand held
> Sekonic spot meter was 1%, which, I believe is the same as the Nikon
> F5.

The Nikon Coolpix 5700 is 3% (the manual quotes 1/32 of the total frame).

Cheers,
David

Darrell Larose

Now it's going to be interesting to see how Nikon and Pentax will counter.
It looks like a broadside torpedo into the yet to be released Konica-Minolta
7D. The 7D is now way too late. Pentax may grab a piece of the entry level
market if their sub USD $900.00 dSLR graps the interest of consumers. It
depnds on how much camera their is. But to release a Maxxum 7 based 6.3 MP
APS-C, $2,500 dSLR is too little too late.

Brian C. Baird

In article <NWGVc.612$(E-Mail Removed) s.com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> But to release a Maxxum 7 based 6.3 MP
> APS-C, $2,500 dSLR is too little too late.

Of course. But I'm sure if they release it we'll get a least one or two
people here that will waste their entire USENET experience telling us
how much better it is.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/