Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Are NYC Discounters Still Bad News?

Are NYC Discounters Still Bad News?

BandHPhoto

<Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and by
ordering online.>

Thank you.

<Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.>

I would. It's illegal and we won't do it.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

BandHPhoto

<The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?>

Sometimes the advertised prices are MAP prices dictated by the manufacturer.
Ask. Sometimes the "real" selling price is lower.

And, comparing B&H to my two local Best Buys in Westchester, NY, I'd say
selection is one reason to vist Manhattan.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
(E-Mail Removed)

BandHPhoto

<i agree that you can find things slightly cheaper than b&h, but not with the
same level of service or return policies. b&h offers consistently amazing
values for such a honest and reputable dealer. pay less get less, pay more
get less... i think they are the best value going.>

Thank you.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
(E-Mail Removed)

BandHPhoto

<First, check www.bizrate.com.>

I use bizrate, but would recommend www.resellerratings.com first.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
(E-Mail Removed)

BandHPhoto

< just because they don't know how to pronounce Houston Street correctly.>

From <http://tinyurl.com/6ctbu>:

The street name Houston confuses many people from outside of New York because
the letters "ou" are pronounced as in the word house, whereas the same letters
in the name of the city of Houston, Texas are pronounced like the "u" in huge.

This is due to the fact that Houston Street was named for a Georgia politician,
William Houstoun (1755 - 1813), long before the fame of Sam Houston who is
honored by the name of the Texas city.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video