Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Are NYC Discounters Still Bad News?

Are NYC Discounters Still Bad News?

kashe@sonic.net

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:20:08 GMT, "Clyde Torres"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and

>by
>> ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
>> Larry

>I don't know about this B&H place. I went there about five years ago
>intending to buy a camera, and I casually asked the salesman where Houston
>Street was. He said "It's not pronounced 'Houston' like the city, it's
>pronounced 'Houston'. " I said "Well, that's not how they pronounce it in
>Houston, Texas." He said "We don't care how they pronounce it in Houston,
>TX! The correct pronunciation is 'Houston'." I said "Well, they certainly
>care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston, TX, because it was named after
>Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there are two Houston families running
>around in the United States, and they pronounce it differently?" This guy
>started screaming that Texans didn't know how in the hell to pronounce
>anything, and he lost a camera sell. Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I
>cannot handle a salesman screaming at me just because they don't know how to
>pronounce Houston Street correctly.
>
>Clyde Torres

Dunno about Houston, but I know two brorthers who can't agree
on the pronunciation of the family name. It's spelled Fahy. One sounds
it like Fay and the othersounds it like Fayhee. <shrug>

In a similar vein (not to start a war) Celtic is correctly
sounded with a hard initial C, but the guys in the bars in Boston
think that's an effete pronunciation peculiar to the Harvard guys up
the street and insist on a soft initial C for their favored team.
<second shrug>

kashe@sonic.net

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:40:50 GMT, Udie Lafing
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sounds like you ****ed him off,.and he was shouting for a good reason.

As the salesman initiated the ****ing contest, I believe he'd
have been better off saying something like "It's three blocks that
way. If it'll save you any trouble, it's locally pronounced <however>.
Now, how may I help you invest a day's pay in some of our fine camera
equipment?"

kashe@sonic.net

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:43:09 -0400, "Mikey S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any NYer would have done the same thing, it's a pet peeve.
>Deal with it

May as well -- they're the same New Yorkers who come out here
and insist on their God-given right to call it Frisco. Repeatedly.

Ric Kaysen

Actually, I'd prefer not to purchase from Best Buy. I was only making a
price comparison.

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply
"Paul J Gans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cg6ii7$3nn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ric Kaysen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and

the
> >NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

> If you live in New Jersey and order by mail there should
> be no taxes.
>
> B&H is a credible store that resolves most customer's
> problems to the customer's satisfaction. Their salespeople
> also have a good level of expertise in things photographic.
>
> I'm not sure that Best Buy can match that. Nevertheless,
> if you are comfortable in buying from Best Buy, do so.
>
> ----- Paul J. Gans

Ric Kaysen

I have a comfort level for making purchases online. When the price gets
around a grand, it exceeds that level.

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cg6jeh$3oa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ric Kaysen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and

the
> > NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

> If quality customer service matters to you, buy from B&H, but do it online
> and you should not have to pay sales tax.

Ric Kaysen

I guess my biggest concern is going in for an advertised price and being
told it's only for a gray market camera with no US warranty.

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply
"Ric Kaysen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LfHVc.2247$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I have a comfort level for making purchases online. When the price gets
> around a grand, it exceeds that level.
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM to reply
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:cg6jeh$3oa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ric Kaysen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ

and
> the
> > > NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

> > If quality customer service matters to you, buy from B&H, but do it

online
> > and you should not have to pay sales tax.

Mikey S.

Gray market items being sold as US warrantee are a valid concern with a lot
of the lowball stores, which is why I shop at the ones that don't play that
game, B&H and Adorama. Both sell both gray and US warrantee goods, but the
difference is that they tell the customer right in the ad or on their
website which is which ( and actually explain the difference) so that the
customer can make an informed choice, usually they stock both. Normally
with less expensive items ( a flash unit, a cheaper standard lens, filters,
etc) I buy the gray market to save a few bucks, but for the real money items
( camera bodies, Canon 'L' lenses, etc) I buy the US warranty item just for
my own peace of mind.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Ric Kaysen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QlHVc.2280$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>I guess my biggest concern is going in for an advertised price and being
> told it's only for a gray market camera with no US warranty.

Clyde Torres

"George E. Cawthon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Other than being a troll, it doesn't have anything to do with B&H,
> which is a good company to deal with. It is about an out of towner
> being an ass. You obvious have little experience or you would know
> that Houston has a least 3 common pronuciations. Without considering
> the local accent the pronunciations are Hues ton, House ton, and Hus
> ton. Or maybe you think that the way you learned to pronunce a word is
> the only correct one. You're lucky you weren't in a cast iron skillet
> store.

George, I am not a troll. I am a toll - on New Yorkers, that is!

Clyde

Nostrobino

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[ . . . ]

> Dunno about Houston, but I know two brorthers who can't agree
> on the pronunciation of the family name. It's spelled Fahy. One sounds
> it like Fay and the othersounds it like Fayhee. <shrug>

I worked with a guy surnamed Langlois, who pronounced it Lang-loys. His
sister, same last name, worked in the same place and (very Frenchily, though
she was not French) pronounced it Lang-lwah. <briefly lifted eyebrow>

N.

Nostrobino

"Ric Kaysen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TLkVc.36225$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and

the
> NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

No.

NYC camera dealers used to have the best prices in the country, and that was
the best if not only reason to buy from them. With digital cameras
especially, that is just no longer true. You can now get better prices AND
pay no sales tax by buying on the Internet. The big NY sellers like Adorama
and B&H can still be useful for the wider range of accessories they are
likely to carry, but there's no reason to buy a popular model of camera from
them unless you just want to spend the extra money.

If you're concerned about the possibility of making a return, then your
local Best Buy or whatever probably makes more sense.

N.