Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lens adapter to put Canon lens on Nikon D70 ?

Lens adapter to put Canon lens on Nikon D70 ?

bob

As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
Thanks for any advice...

Bob

Dave Herzstein

bob wrote:

> As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
> ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
> I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
> me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

No

> If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
> the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed

> I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
> shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
> reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
> yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
> film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
> Thanks for any advice...
>
> Bob

Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?

-Dave

Chuck McDevitt

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
> ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
> I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
> me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
> If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
> the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
> I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
> shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
> reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
> yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
> film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
> Thanks for any advice...
>
> Bob

The Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens is only around $160.

If you can afford a D70, you can spring for that.

Hunt

>bob wrote:
>>
>> As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
>> ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
>> I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
>> me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

>No
>
>> If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
>> the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

>1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
>2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
>3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed
>
>> I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
>> shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
>> reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
>> yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
>> film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
>> Thanks for any advice...
>>
>> Bob

>Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?
>
>-Dave

If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
marketed for conversions both ways. They never seemed to be around very long,
however, for the reasons that you stated. Marty Fourcher [SP?] did some
conversions, first from Nikon lenses > Canon, then Canon lenses > Nikon, as
Canon took the forefront in optics. I do not know if he is still in business,
but doubt that his company would even think about doing such now, with AF
servo connections, as well as many other electronic circuits. I can't believe
that one could be manufactured for less than the cost of a corresponding body.

Hunt

RSD99

"Hunt" posted:
"...
If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
marketed for conversions both ways.
...."

Yes ... that was before autofocus, and they were manual exposure only ... no auto
exposure.

IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional Camera Repair"
in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications over the
years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series cameras, adapters
for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.

A search on
Marty Forscher Camera Repair
will get you quite a few hits.

"Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> >bob wrote:
> >>
> >> As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
> >> ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
> >> I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
> >> me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

> >No
> >
> >> If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
> >> the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

> >1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
> >2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
> >3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed
> >
> >> I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
> >> shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
> >> reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
> >> yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
> >> film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
> >> Thanks for any advice...
> >>
> >> Bob

> >Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?
> >
> >-Dave

> If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.
>
> Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
> marketed for conversions both ways. They never seemed to be around very long,
> however, for the reasons that you stated. Marty Fourcher [SP?] did some
> conversions, first from Nikon lenses > Canon, then Canon lenses > Nikon, as
> Canon took the forefront in optics. I do not know if he is still in business,
> but doubt that his company would even think about doing such now, with AF
> servo connections, as well as many other electronic circuits. I can't believe
> that one could be manufactured for less than the cost of a corresponding body.
>
> Hunt

Mark B.

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
> ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
> I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
> me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
> If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
> the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
> I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
> shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
> reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
> yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
> film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.

So is going digital supposed to make you shoot well? That's not how it
works. Anyway, ProMaster lenes are very low-end consumer lenses made by
Sigma. I wouldn't go to too much trouble to adapt it to another mount. Why
not go with the Canon 300D? Even 10D prices have started to drop, and that
was before the 20D was leaked.

Mark

Darrell Larose

"Dave Herzstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> bob wrote:
> >
> > As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
> > ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
> > I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
> > me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

> No
>
> > If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
> > the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

> 1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
> 2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
> 3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed
>
> > I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
> > shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
> > reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
> > yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
> > film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
> > Thanks for any advice...
> >
> > Bob

> Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?

Or wait until September when the 10D price is cut....

Apteryx

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
> ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
> I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
> me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?
> If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
> the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).
> I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
> shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
> reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
> yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
> film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
> Thanks for any advice...

Someone has already mentioned the Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens, and I'd
agree with that. If you were planning to buy an adaptor, you may be
able to get it for within the money you allowing for that. Obviously no
professional sports photographer would describe that as a sports lens
(too slow - max aperture at 300mm is f5.6, too slow in focusing, and too
soft at the edges on max aperture) but it should be better than the
ProMaster anyway. I have used it to get some reasonably good photos
from the sidelines of a club rugby match.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Scott Schuckert

In article <sORUc.35903$(E-Mail Removed)>, RSD99
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional
> Camera Repair"
> in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications
> over the
> years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series
> cameras, adapters
> for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.

I believe I read last year in Popular Photography that Marty had
retired.

Hunt

In article <sORUc.35903$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

>"Hunt" posted:
>"...
>If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.
>
>Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
>marketed for conversions both ways.
>..."
>
>Yes ... that was before autofocus, and they were manual exposure only ... no

aut
>exposure.
>
>IIRC the spelling was Marty Forscher ...and his company was "Professional

Camera
> Repair"
>in NYC. And yes, he (they) made many different kinds of camera modifications

ove
>r the
>years, including such things as Polaroid backs for the Nikon F-series

cameras, a
>dapters
>for using Canon lenses on Nikons, Nikon lenses on Canons ... and so forth.
>
>A search on
> Marty Forscher Camera Repair
>will get you quite a few hits.

[SNIP]

Thanks, I did not know if they were still around and am glad to hear they are.
Great shop, at least back in the 70-80's.

Hunt