Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Comments, please, on first sunset photo

Comments, please, on first sunset photo

Ken

http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/ken/photos/sunset.jpg

Picture is about 576k. Let me know if I need to resize it for you to
see. My IE makes it fit in the browser frame, although some browsers may
not (I am not sure, nor sure what size I should make a photo on the web
for this kind of critique).

This was taken last night with Digital Rebel, 28-200 lens, f/5.6, ISO
100, shutter speed 1/2000, which was at -2 (or maybe -1) exposure value.

The sun, to me, seems to be too white, when it was actually more orange.
I don't know if stopping down caused that (although I wouldn't have
thought so).

Please let me know about framing, composition, distractions in the
picture, etc.

I took about 60 picutres, but, to me, this one seemed the best out of
the lot.

I've tried in the past to take sunset pictures, but they all turned out
crappy. This is the first I am happy with.

Jeremy Nixon

Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This was taken last night with Digital Rebel, 28-200 lens, f/5.6, ISO
> 100, shutter speed 1/2000, which was at -2 (or maybe -1) exposure value.

I'd have stopped down further to get the foreground silhouette in focus.
But I guess that's an artistic decision, not a technical one.

> The sun, to me, seems to be too white, when it was actually more orange.
> I don't know if stopping down caused that (although I wouldn't have
> thought so).

That will be from blowing out the highlights. Almost impossible not to do
that when you're actually photographing the sun -- I wouldn't worry about
it. Sunset pictures don't really look the same as when you see them in
person anyway.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ken

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> I'd have stopped down further to get the foreground silhouette in focus.
> But I guess that's an artistic decision, not a technical one.

Actually, it wasn't an artistic decision on my part, it was more a
function of my amateur status. I'll remember that next time.

>>The sun, to me, seems to be too white, when it was actually more orange.
>>I don't know if stopping down caused that (although I wouldn't have
>>thought so).

> That will be from blowing out the highlights. Almost impossible not to do
> that when you're actually photographing the sun -- I wouldn't worry about
> it. Sunset pictures don't really look the same as when you see them in
> person anyway.

Thanks.

Alan Meyer

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RhwUc.25050$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/ken/photos/sunset.jpg

> The sun, to me, seems to be too white, when it was actually more

orange.
> I don't know if stopping down caused that (although I wouldn't

have
> thought so).

Shooting into the sun is always a tough problem for
a camera. Obviously the light level coming from the
sun will be off the scale with respect to everything
else in the image and the camera wasn't able to
compensate the way your eye and brain could.

> Please let me know about framing, composition, distractions in the
> picture, etc.
>
> I took about 60 picutres, but, to me, this one seemed the best out

of
> the lot.
>
> I've tried in the past to take sunset pictures, but they all

turned out
> crappy. This is the first I am happy with.

I'm no expert on photographic artistry and won't presume
to offer suggestions for improvement. But personally, I
think it's a beautiful shot. If I had made it I wouldn't hesitate
to show it off. I like the quiet, somber mood, the simple
composition, the restricted but interesting color, and the
way the details of the clouds are picked out by the light.

Nicely done.

Alan

Marvin Margoshes

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RhwUc.25050$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/ken/photos/sunset.jpg
>
> Picture is about 576k. Let me know if I need to resize it for you to
> see. My IE makes it fit in the browser frame, although some browsers may
> not (I am not sure, nor sure what size I should make a photo on the web
> for this kind of critique).
>
> This was taken last night with Digital Rebel, 28-200 lens, f/5.6, ISO
> 100, shutter speed 1/2000, which was at -2 (or maybe -1) exposure value.
>
> The sun, to me, seems to be too white, when it was actually more orange.
> I don't know if stopping down caused that (although I wouldn't have
> thought so).
>
> Please let me know about framing, composition, distractions in the
> picture, etc.
>
> I took about 60 picutres, but, to me, this one seemed the best out of
> the lot.
>
> I've tried in the past to take sunset pictures, but they all turned out
> crappy. This is the first I am happy with.

Having the sun in the picture set up an impossible dynamic range problem.
The best sunset pictures are made soon after the sun falls below the
horizon, and you can set the exposure to get the best representation of the
colors of the clouds. With a digicam, you can takke a shot, see how it
looks on the lcd, then adjust the exposure.

You can get an interesting sunset picture on a hazy day. There is one on my
Web site, at http://www.users.cloud9.net/~physchem/. It was taken across
the Hudson River, looking West to the NY/NJ border. We have taken several
like this. The best is one my wife got, with a small boat passing through
the red streak on the water.

Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:12:49 GMT, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/ken/photos/sunset.jpg

Ken,

nice photo. I think it is a bit too dark. The sun will be white
anyway. For effect you could color the sun red in Photoshop, or
you could take a second, very much darker photo and copy the sun
from that into the first. Then, of course, it's some kind of
work of art, but no longer a straight photo.

Generally beware of sunset photos. I have a box here, labelled
"sunsets from all over the world", and it has been collecting
lots of photos, most of them boring, after you've seen enough of
them.

I admit though that I occasionally still take one myself, like
this, from this year, a gnu (wildebeest) after sunset and
against the colorful evening sky:
http://www.michna.com/kenya2004/images/p1040730.jpg

Here's another one, from a year earlier, my tent in front of Mt.
Kilimanjaro in the last evening sun rays:
http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/images/p1020561.jpg

For the latter you have to make sure that your monitor's
contrast and brightness is well adjusted. If the contrast is
overdone or the brightness set too low, you will not see details
in the darker parts of the picture. Or, to put it differently,
if you can't recognize the tent, then your monitor's contrast is
set far too high or the brightness far too low.

A good test for the monitor is to open a command line window, or
any black window, and zoom it to full screen (press Alt +
return). Then fiddle with the settings, particularly turn the
brightness up until you begin to see the fine lines that are
brighter than deep black. Then turn it back just a little.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Ken

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> I admit though that I occasionally still take one myself, like
> this, from this year, a gnu (wildebeest) after sunset and
> against the colorful evening sky:
> http://www.michna.com/kenya2004/images/p1040730.jpg

I like that. I guess sunset doesn't have to have the sun in it, just the
effects of the sunset, although I liked the color of my sunset, even if
it didn't come out like I saw it (I did -2ev to test what I was taught
in my photography class about changing color by changing ev... it worked
like I was told).

Ken

Alan Meyer wrote:
> Shooting into the sun is always a tough problem for
> a camera.

Saying it that way made me wonder - do I risk harming the sensor in my
Digital camera by shooting into the sun?

Thanks for your comments.

Alan Meyer

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qEPUc.1980$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Alan Meyer wrote:
> > Shooting into the sun is always a tough problem for
> > a camera.

> Saying it that way made me wonder - do I risk harming the sensor

in my
> Digital camera by shooting into the sun?

I'm not an expert on that either, but I would be really
surprised if it did any harm. I know I've done it lots
of times and I haven't noticed any degradation of
the quality of images coming out of my camera.

Alan

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Ken wrote:

> http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/ken/photos/sunset.jpg
>
> Picture is about 576k. Let me know if I need to resize it for you to
> see. My IE makes it fit in the browser frame, although some browsers may
> not (I am not sure, nor sure what size I should make a photo on the web
> for this kind of critique).

Personally I think it's better to provide an image that is no wider than 1024
pixels and no higher than 768 pixels, for those of us on dialup. There will
still be people who want to see the original to have a really close look at the
detail - like people who are always looking for flaws to criticise.

I read your message a bit quick and though the file was 57k, so hit download,
and it arrived in a flash over my work broadbank connection. Unfortunately we
are each only allowed to download ten megabytes a month, so your >1/2MB image
just sucked up a fair chunk. It was worth it though. It's a very nice looking
picture and one I would definitely be showing off if I'd taken it.

If you're interested, my favourite sunset photos (taken with a Kodak DX6490) can
be viewed here:
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~benst/...phy/index.html

Unfortunately there are a lot of roof lines, power lines, and street lights in
the photos because they were taken from outside my house but they still look
pretty/impressive to me.

> This was taken last night with Digital Rebel, 28-200 lens, f/5.6, ISO
> 100, shutter speed 1/2000, which was at -2 (or maybe -1) exposure value.

Did you adjust the exposure value because you didn't have a faster shutter speed
available or for some other reason? I take it your choice of aperture was for
depth of field.

> I've tried in the past to take sunset pictures, but they all turned out
> crappy. This is the first I am happy with.

I take very few photos that I am happy with.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.