Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help and advise please!

Help and advise please!

James Devney

Hi all.

My second (but very similar ) post to these groups & I'm (still)
cross posting! Apologies for that, but I'm still not sure which group is
best for my query.

Hopefully this one will get past your filters!

Please feel free to set follow-ups to the appropriate group.

After many (10+) years of happy snapping on an ancient Canon AV-1
(35-70mm), I've finally taken the plunge and gone Digital.

After a fair amount of research I chose the Sigma SD9 with 17-35mm
f/2.8-4 EX DG Aspherical HSM lens. This gives me a nice angle of view,
together with the option of taking a 'normal' image.

Now, I've had this a few months and would like to extend my range by
purchasing a zoom lens for the camera. I've effectively narrowed this
down to either of the following:

Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 ASPHERICAL COMPACT MACRO
Sigma 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 ASPHERICAL MACRO HYPERZOOM

This primarily due to the exclusive cost of high-end EX lenses.

Now for the queries:

1. With the sensor being 1.67 times smaller than a 35mm film, are the
distortions (barrel & pin-cushion) associated with the lenses above
minimised because the image circle is correspondingly larger?

2. With the added colour depth (possibly wrong terminology there), and
sensor resolution being that much greater with the Foveon sensor, could
this mitigate the reports of image softening that I've heard attributed
to these lenses? Especially with respect to the post-image-processing?

3. Finally, do any of you have experience with these lenses & am I going
to be disappointed when comparing the images to those taken with my EX lens?

FYI - I generally take images at MAX resolution, and print images no
greater than A4 in size.

Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.

Cheers,
--
JD.
Mozilla User )

Gary Eickmeier

James Devney wrote:

> Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.

Right - "advice" - so why did you put "advise" in the title?

Gary Eickmeier

Nick J

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> James Devney wrote:
>
>> Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.

> Right - "advice" - so why did you put "advise" in the title?
>
> Gary Eickmeier

You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.

No need to thank me for this advice.

James Devney

On 18/08/2004 03:45, Nick J wrote:
> Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>

>> James Devney wrote:
>>
>>> Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.

>> Right - "advice" - so why did you put "advise" in the title?
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier
>>

> You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
>
> No need to thank me for this advice.

Well, he's right - I actually meant 'advice'.
Late night,
Long day,
What can I say?

Poetry?!

My queries were answered on my original post in any case.

Cheers,
--
JD.
Mozilla User )

Gary Eickmeier

Nick J wrote:

> You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
>
> No need to thank me for this advice.

OK, I'll bite - is "advise" for a noun a Britishism?

Gary Eickmeier

John Bean

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:57:04 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> Nick J wrote:
>
>> You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
>>
>> No need to thank me for this advice.

> OK, I'll bite - is "advise" for a noun a Britishism?

No it's not. I think Nick is saying "advise" is correct if "help" is being
used as a verb. There was no context to clarify it as in "[I need] help and
advice please" rather than "Help and advise [me] please". The OP said it was
a typo so now we know

--
John Bean

My Grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right
out of the bottle (Henny Youngman)

Nick J

John Bean wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:57:04 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>>Nick J wrote:
>>>You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
>>>
>>>No need to thank me for this advice.

>>OK, I'll bite - is "advise" for a noun a Britishism?

> No it's not. I think Nick is saying "advise" is correct if "help" is being
> used as a verb. There was no context to clarify it as in "[I need] help and
> advice please" rather than "Help and advise [me] please". The OP said it was
> a typo so now we know

exactly.

'Advice' is a noun, 'Advise' is a verb, 'Help' can be either.

A symptom of my crappy day that I should probably have wrapped within

<pedant>

</pedant>

but I did put in a smiley

Nick