Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Better Digital Photography Magazine

Better Digital Photography Magazine

Thom Tapp

I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed at
the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out of
the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!

I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no vested
interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the group.
I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review of
bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

Happy Shooting!

--
Thom Tapp
Church of the Covered Dish

Beck

"Thom Tapp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
> Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed at
> the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
> most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
> hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out of
> the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
>
> I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no vested
> interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the group.
> I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review of
> bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of magazines
concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I already have
the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer. This is
a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film photography.

Anoni Moose

"Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cft5dj$jqf$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Thom Tapp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
> > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed at
> > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
> > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
> > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out of
> > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
> >
> > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no vested
> > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the group.
> > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review of
> > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

> I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of magazines
> concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I already have
> the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer. This is
> a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film photography.

I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well
(and like it).

Mike

> [...]

> > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
> > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out of
> > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
> >
> > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no vested
> > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the group.
> > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review of
> > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

> I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of magazines
> concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I already have
> the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer. This is
> a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film photography.

I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well

"Anoni Moose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<cft5dj$jqf$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Thom Tapp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
> > > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed

at
> > > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
> > > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
> > > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out

of
> > > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
> > >
> > > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no

vested
> > > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the

group.
> > > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review

of
> > > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

> > I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of magazines
> > concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I already

have
> > the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer.

This is
> > a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film

photography.

> I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well
> (and like it).

Crikey Mike, your news server is playing up

Mark B.

"Anoni Moose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<cft5dj$jqf$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Thom Tapp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
> > > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm

amazed at
> > > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines!

Whereas
> > > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader

with
> > > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags

out of
> > > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
> > >
> > > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no

vested
> > > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the

group.
> > > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old

review of
> > > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

> > I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of

magazines
> > concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I

already have
> > the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer.

This is
> > a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film

photography.

> I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well
> (and like it).

You must've seen it at least 3 times.

Alan Meyer

"Thom Tapp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
> Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed

at
> the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
> most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
> hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out

of
> the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!

The U.S. magazines you refer to, presumably
_Popular Photography_, make their money on
camera advertising. Selling hardware is what
they're all about.

That's not a criticism. We need magazines like
that too. In fact, if you look at the postings in this
newsgroup you'll find a large number asking for
hardware recommendations.

Alan

Thom Tapp

Actually, I like the U.S. magazines too. I am just refreshed to find a
magazine that focuses on USING the camera. Just about every magazine in the
U.S. is like Pop Photo, and I haven't found one like Better Digital
Photography. I noticed a LOT of advertising even in BDP, but the emphasis
was on how to USE your camera to best advantage.

I'll still get Pop Photo and Shutterbug, but now I have a good mix!

--
Thom Tapp
Church of the Covered Dish
news:QvwUc.1004$(E-Mail Removed)...