Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > C5050 and CC flash cards

C5050 and CC flash cards

Ken Scharf

I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.

I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
work fine, as do my old SM cards.

Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
broken?)

I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

M. Souris

Don't know what you mean by a CC flash card. The 5050 works superbly
with compact flash cards, up to 2 gb capacity, I believe. I use 512
mb cards with no problem.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:37:24 -0400, Ken Scharf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
>
>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
>
>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
>broken?)
>
>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

Dave

M. Souris wrote:

> Don't know what you mean by a CC flash card. The 5050 works superbly
> with compact flash cards, up to 2 gb capacity, I believe. I use 512
> mb cards with no problem.

Same here with both Scandisk and SimpleTech 256MB cards.

Dave

---

View my eBay auctions at:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50

Nick C

"Ken Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lrSTc.121$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
> I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
> I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
> use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
>
> I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
> wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
> work fine, as do my old SM cards.
>
> Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
> have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
> with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
> broken?)
>
> I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
> Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
> a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
> in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
> isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
> since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
> drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

Congratulations, the C5050 is a fine camera.

For the sake of expediency, I'll assume the CC card is a CF card and will
address to that.

I have the C5050 too and have been trying to use it more often rather than
using my other cameras. I use Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards
(because I already have them) and generally haven't had any problems with
the camera reading the cards.

BUT ..... at one time I did have a peculiar problem with one Compact Flash
card. The camera would not see the card. I couldn't even format the card yet
the same card would work well in my Nikon D100. I took the card to my local
camera store and tried using the card in other digicams. It worked well in
Canon and Nikon cameras, but not in Olympus cameras. The card even worked
well when used with a PCMCIA reader in my lap top, but not in an Olympus
camera. Shrug.

I've asked several people who also have Olympus Cameras if they had
encountered similar problems and no one has, so haven't any explanation as
to what was causing the problem. Other than the problem encountered with
that one card, all other cards have worked well in the C5050.

nick

Ken Scharf

Nick C wrote:
> "Ken Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lrSTc.121$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
>>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
>>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
>>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
>>
>>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
>>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
>>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
>>
>>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
>>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
>>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
>>broken?)
>>
>>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
>>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
>>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
>>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
>>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
>>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
>>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

> Congratulations, the C5050 is a fine camera.
>
> For the sake of expediency, I'll assume the CC card is a CF card and will
> address to that.
>
> I have the C5050 too and have been trying to use it more often rather than
> using my other cameras. I use Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards
> (because I already have them) and generally haven't had any problems with
> the camera reading the cards.
>
> BUT ..... at one time I did have a peculiar problem with one Compact Flash
> card. The camera would not see the card. I couldn't even format the card yet
> the same card would work well in my Nikon D100. I took the card to my local
> camera store and tried using the card in other digicams. It worked well in
> Canon and Nikon cameras, but not in Olympus cameras. The card even worked
> well when used with a PCMCIA reader in my lap top, but not in an Olympus
> camera. Shrug.
>
> I've asked several people who also have Olympus Cameras if they had
> encountered similar problems and no one has, so haven't any explanation as
> to what was causing the problem. Other than the problem encountered with
> that one card, all other cards have worked well in the C5050.
>
> nick

My experience was identical to yours, it was as if there wasn't
even any memory card installed in the camera.

I guess if I try to buy another Compact Flash card, I'll bring the
camera along and try it out first. However from what I've read the
XD cards are a little faster (though they DO cost more than CCF and
are not available as dense, though they are catching up.)
So since XD cards are available, and would suit my needs as well
nothing lost. I just know now I can't look on ebay for a buy on
CCF cards unless I would have the right to return an uncompatible
card. As far as the CCF sized micro drives, they were a good idea
last year, but non-rotating memorys have surpassed them in speed
and lower power comsumption.

Nick C

"Ken Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LpaUc.132$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick C wrote:
> > "Ken Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:lrSTc.121$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
> >>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
> >>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
> >>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
> >>
> >>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
> >>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
> >>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
> >>
> >>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
> >>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
> >>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
> >>broken?)
> >>
> >>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
> >>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
> >>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
> >>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
> >>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
> >>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
> >>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

> > Congratulations, the C5050 is a fine camera.
> >
> > For the sake of expediency, I'll assume the CC card is a CF card and

will
> > address to that.
> >
> > I have the C5050 too and have been trying to use it more often rather

than
> > using my other cameras. I use Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards
> > (because I already have them) and generally haven't had any problems

with
> > the camera reading the cards.
> >
> > BUT ..... at one time I did have a peculiar problem with one Compact

Flash
> > card. The camera would not see the card. I couldn't even format the card

yet
> > the same card would work well in my Nikon D100. I took the card to my

local
> > camera store and tried using the card in other digicams. It worked well

in
> > Canon and Nikon cameras, but not in Olympus cameras. The card even

worked
> > well when used with a PCMCIA reader in my lap top, but not in an Olympus
> > camera. Shrug.
> >
> > I've asked several people who also have Olympus Cameras if they had
> > encountered similar problems and no one has, so haven't any explanation

as
> > to what was causing the problem. Other than the problem encountered with
> > that one card, all other cards have worked well in the C5050.
> >
> > nick
> >

> My experience was identical to yours, it was as if there wasn't
> even any memory card installed in the camera.

That's right. The Olympus C5050 would not recognize the card being installed
though the card in question was usable in most other instances. I still have
the card and sometimes use it with a PCMCIA reader to store large pictures
saved as Tiff that I will later work on in another computer.

> I guess if I try to buy another Compact Flash card, I'll bring the
> camera along and try it out first. However from what I've read the
> XD cards are a little faster (though they DO cost more than CCF and
> are not available as dense, though they are catching up.)
> So since XD cards are available, and would suit my needs as well
> nothing lost. I just know now I can't look on ebay for a buy on
> CCF cards unless I would have the right to return an uncompatible
> card. As far as the CCF sized micro drives, they were a good idea
> last year, but non-rotating memorys have surpassed them in speed
> and lower power comsumption.

As a matter of opinion, I don't think it wise to buy memory cards auctioned
on e-Bay. CF cards by Lexar are good too. I have severel Lexar 40X cards (CF
and SD) that I use in my Canon 1D MkII and they are fast. PNY cards are
supposed to be good too. I have a couple of those but I think the Lexar
cards are a tad better.

nick

nick

Mike S.

In article <lrSTc.121$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ken Scharf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
>
>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
>
>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
>broken?)
>
>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
latest rev in the process.

You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.

Ken Scharf

Mike S. wrote:
> In article <lrSTc.121$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ken Scharf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
>>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
>>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
>>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
>>
>>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
>>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
>>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
>>
>>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
>>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
>>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
>>broken?)
>>
>>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
>>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
>>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
>>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
>>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
>>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
>>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

> I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
> the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
> course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
> what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
> latest rev in the process.
>
> You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.

The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.

How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)
and what is a current revision code?

I understand it IS possible to upgrade the firmware yourself
by downloading a firmware image from the Olympus web site and
copying to a folder on a flashcard and power cycling the
camera. (But this scares me about as much as re-flashing the
bios on my computer!)

Mike S.

In article <%KSUc.758$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ken Scharf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Mike S. wrote:
>> In article <lrSTc.121$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Ken Scharf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I just bought a new (well factory recondit) C5050 camera.
>>>I chose the 5050 over the 5060 because it had several features
>>>I prefered over the newer model such as faster lens, could still
>>>use smart media cards, use of AA batteries.
>>>
>>>I tried using a sandisk 512mb cc flash in the camera but it
>>>wouldn't work (no card message). Fuji and Olympus XD cards
>>>work fine, as do my old SM cards.
>>>
>>>Is this camera just being picky on CC flash brands, or does it
>>>have a problem with the larger cards. Or does it only work
>>>with the micro drives? (Or could the CC flash slot be
>>>broken?)
>>>
>>>I don't own any CC flash cards (I returned the Sandisk one to
>>>Costco and got a 256mb XD in exchange). Except for being
>>>a bit more expensive the XD cards work fine, and are available
>>>in the same density as the CC flash cards so not using them
>>>isn't a big deal. (I wouldn't use the micro drives today,
>>>since real memory is now as dense, and better. The micro
>>>drives were a good idea last year and earlier).

>> I seem to remember some CF compatibility issues with earlier versions of
>> the C5050 firmware. If you bought a reconditioned camera then this, of
>> course, brings up the logical next question of who reconditioned it and
>> what exactly was done ... including whether the firware was updated to the
>> latest rev in the process.
>>
>> You can see the firmware rev in the EXIF data of image files.
>>

>The camera came in a factory box labeled as reconditioned,
>so it appears to have been so marked by Olympus.
>
>How do I bring up the firmware rev for display (still trying to
>figure out how to use all the features of this camera!)

I answered that, in the text you quoted immediately above.

>and what is a current revision code?

V558-82 AFAIK.

>I understand it IS possible to upgrade the firmware yourself
>by downloading a firmware image from the Olympus web site and
>copying to a folder on a flashcard and power cycling the
>camera. (But this scares me about as much as re-flashing the
>bios on my computer!)

See http://wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-firmware.html

Dave

Ken Scharf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<%KSUc.758$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> I understand it IS possible to upgrade the firmware yourself
> by downloading a firmware image from the Olympus web site and
> copying to a folder on a flashcard and power cycling the
> camera. (But this scares me about as much as re-flashing the
> bios on my computer!)

It was actually pretty easy and is well-documented on the Olympus 5050
Support Group:
http://groups.msn.com/OlympusCamedia.../messages.msnw

Just make sure you have fresh batteries, make sure you have fresh
batteries, and make sure you have fresh batteries.

BTW I haven't noticed much of a performance difference since the
upgrade, but YMMV.

Dave

---
View my photo gear for sale on eBay: