Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Mobiles with SIP / VoIP?

Mobiles with SIP / VoIP?

!

Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP protocol?

Thanks

R.Daneel Olivaw

"!" <..> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP
> protocol?
>
> Thanks

Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and they
tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not commit to a
timescale.

!

"R.Daneel Olivaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4468efc4$0$10766$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "!" <..> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP
>> protocol?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
> help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
> they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
> commit to a timescale.

Yep. VoIP.

Martin²

R.Daneel Olivaw:
>Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
>help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
>they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
>commit to a timescale.

Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
access), incompatible with anything else.

True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.
Regards,
Martin

Brian A

On Tue, 16 May 2006 01:32:16 +0100, "Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>R.Daneel Olivaw:
>>Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
>>help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
>>they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
>>commit to a timescale.

>Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
>access), incompatible with anything else.
>
>True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
>or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.
>Regards,
>Martin

Yes, I can't see Skype being a goer for mobile use via the Net over a
mobile metwork. You only need to look at the cost/MB of data to see
that it would not be cost effective. However, over WiFi that might be
a different situation. However, I agree, Skype is toytown. It works
very well for what it is but who is interested in waiting for the
computer to boot up every time you want ot make a call. Further, you
are tied to one provider and you can't contact SIP phones except via
PSTN.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Paul Cupis

Martin² wrote:
> R.Daneel Olivaw:
>> Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
>> help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
>> they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
>> commit to a timescale.

> Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
> access), incompatible with anything else.
>
> True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
> or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.

Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

Thomas Kenyon

Paul Cupis wrote:
> Martin² wrote:
>> R.Daneel Olivaw:
>>> Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
>>> help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and
>>> they tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not
>>> commit to a timescale.

>> Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
>> access), incompatible with anything else.
>>
>> True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
>> or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.

> Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
> H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

H.323 is much older so I guess that'll be old VOIP and IAX is much
simpler (only one port to worry about etc.) so I guess that'll be new
VOIP :-p

I thought that any process that runs voice data over an IP network woult
qualify (like all the ones that software like Speak Freely and CuSeeMe
etc used which I know includes H.323.)

Adrian

Paul Cupis ((E-Mail Removed)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

> Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
> H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

Personally, I'd say that - yes, Skype is VoIP - but it's a firmly
proprietary implementation of VoIP - a walled garden. "True" VoIP is based
around open and interoperable protocols.

A good analogy is the early days of the internet, when it was busy killing
off BBSes.

Paul Cupis

Adrian wrote:
> Paul Cupis ((E-Mail Removed)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
> were saying :
>
>> Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
>> H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

> Personally, I'd say that - yes, Skype is VoIP - but it's a firmly
> proprietary implementation of VoIP - a walled garden.

Yes, I agree.

> "True" VoIP is [snip]

a made up phrase with no useful definition and which we should stop using.

TKD

> Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP
> protocol?
>
> Thanks

Nokia E60 available now.