Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > DOM

Bob

Afifov wrote:
> Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
>
> I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
> point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
>
> Thanks

DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

David Segall

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Afifov wrote:
>> Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
>>
>> I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
>> point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
>>
>> Thanks

>DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
what the Document Object Model actually is.
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

Bob

David Segall wrote:

> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Afifov wrote:
>>> Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
>>>
>>> I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
>>> point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

> It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
> what the Document Object Model actually is.
> <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

Depends how much he knows. For over 90% of the population, that is the
answer I would give. And for the vast majority of those ppl, they won't
even really understand what Javascript of CSS is too much, so even that
explanation is over their heads.

Bob

David Segall wrote:
> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Afifov wrote:
>>> Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
>>>
>>> I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
>>> point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

> It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
> what the Document Object Model actually is.
> <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
far off. See:

http://www.w3.org/DOM/

"Dynamic HTML" is a term used by some vendors to describe *the
combination of HTML, style sheets and scripts that allows documents to
be animated*. The W3C has received several submissions from members
companies on the way in which the object model of HTML documents should
be exposed to scripts. These submissions do not propose any new HTML
tags or style sheet technology. The W3C DOM Activity is working hard to
make sure interoperable and scripting-language neutral solutions are
agreed upon.

I guess I should say, HTML, CSS and Javascript. Or the way that HTML,
CSS and Javascript interact in order to make webpages dynamic. Looks
like we can also throw in SVG and MathML, though those are not very well
supported by browsers yet.

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Bob finally
proclaimed:

> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML)

That's a bit misleading. DOM is neither CSS, nor Javascript. It is an
internal representation of the document, upon which Javascript and CSS
can act.

--
Dylan Parry

Bob

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Bob finally
> proclaimed:
>
>> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML)

> That's a bit misleading. DOM is neither CSS, nor Javascript. It is an
> internal representation of the document, upon which Javascript and CSS
> can act.

That's a better def.

David Segall

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>David Segall wrote:
>> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

>> It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
>> what the Document Object Model actually is.
>> <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

>For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
>far off. See:
>
>http://www.w3.org/DOM/

I can see how you were misled by the W3C summary because it confuses
the definition with the usage of the DOM. The only useful part of the
"What is the Document Object Model?" paragraph is "The Document Object
Model is a platform- and language-neutral interface". The idea behind
the DOM is that it is a definition of a data structure; how you access
that data is irrelevant.

It is true that most readers of this group would populate a Document
Object Model using CSS and [X]HTML and may access it or alter it using
Javascript. However, if you were writing a browser you would access
the DOM using C++ or Java.

Forgive me for being pedantic about this. I feel it is important to
distinguish between the way the data on a web page is represented -
the DOM - and the way it is accessed (CSS, HTML, Javascript, Java
etc).

Bob

David Segall wrote:
> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> David Segall wrote:

>>> It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
>>> what the Document Object Model actually is.
>>> <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

>> For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
>> far off. See:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/DOM/

> I can see how you were misled by the W3C summary because it confuses
> the definition with the usage of the DOM. The only useful part of the
> "What is the Document Object Model?" paragraph is "The Document Object
> Model is a platform- and language-neutral interface". The idea behind
> the DOM is that it is a definition of a data structure; how you access
> that data is irrelevant.
>
> It is true that most readers of this group would populate a Document
> Object Model using CSS and [X]HTML and may access it or alter it using
> Javascript. However, if you were writing a browser you would access
> the DOM using C++ or Java.
>
> Forgive me for being pedantic about this. I feel it is important to
> distinguish between the way the data on a web page is represented -
> the DOM - and the way it is accessed (CSS, HTML, Javascript, Java
> etc).

You're making sense. I just printed out that IBM page and I am reading
it now.

Jim Moe

Andy Dingley wrote:

>> How can you know XML and nothing about DOM?

> I know XML and still know next to nothing about the HTML DOM.

Wow. You guys are a lot better at reading minds than I am.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)