Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > weird: content gets hidden when moving over a link in internet explorer

weird: content gets hidden when moving over a link in internet explorer

omeldoid@gmail.com

it's really frustrating. the following code works in firefox, but in ie
(version 6.something) moving over a link hides some of the content on
the page. one of the solutions is to remove a style declaration for the
link! can somebody help me, please, i fail to see the error, if it's on
my side. or is it yet another of those nasty bugs?
thanks,
andrej

the code:

<head>
a:hover { border-bottom: solid red 1px }
#placeholder { width: 715px; }
#textl, #textm, #textr { width: 200px; }
#textl { float: left; }
#textr { float: right; }
#box { border: solid red 2px }
</head>
some text from below gets hidden.</p>
1) if this div is deleted, it starts working<br>
2) if the style declaration for a:hover is deleted,
it starts working<br>
3) if the text at right is the longest, it also
works
LEFT<p>
asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
[...]
MIDDLE<p>
asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
asdf asdf asdf as fdas fda sdf asdf as dfa sdf asd
fa sdf as dfa sdf as df asdf a sdf asd fa sdf
RIGHT<p>
foo foo foo foo fo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo
foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo foo

omeldoid@gmail.com

btw, #textm should also have float: right. but it's not decisive.

Travis Newbury

> it's really frustrating. the following code works in firefox, but in ie...

Here, let me cut and paste you code inton a text document and upload it
to my web server so I can see what you are talking about.

Wait a second, since YOU are searching for an answer, how about YOU put
the code on a server and just include the URL to the code?

omeldoid@gmail.com

i've just found it: it the infamous ie `guillotine bug'.
as for the uploading, it seems really superfluous. is there no notion
of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
commonplace; you just check it locally.

ironcorona

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> is there no notion
> of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
> commonplace; you just check it locally.

Of course there is. You just point the browser at a html file on your
your local disk.

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

JDS

On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:05:09 -0700, omeldoid wrote:

> i've just found it: it the infamous ie `guillotine bug'.
> as for the uploading, it seems really superfluous. is there no notion
> of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
> commonplace; you just check it locally.

You are missing the point: Why should we bother copy and pasting the code
to a local file and then looking at the file in a browser locally when YOU
could save us the steps by posting the file and telling us the URL.

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Andy Dingley

ironcorona wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > is there no notion
> > of `localhost' and a local http server in windows?

> Of course there is. You just point the browser at a html file on your
> your local disk.

That's not the same thing. Also Windows doesn't have alocal web server
by default, you have to install one (typically PWS, or maybe Apache)

For subtle bugs, looking at files in a filesystem is certainly NOT the
same thing as a web server. You don't get HTTP headers, so you often
see browsers behaving differently. It's OK for quick draft design work,
but don't go bug-hunting this way.

(E-Mail Removed) is getting ignored because he expects those who
might otherwise help him, to do simple work that he's not prepared to
do himself (placing it on a web server). It shouldn't be any surprise
that the useful people are also busy people.

(I have 3 minutes 11 seconds to ponder this post before my Ant script
finishes and I have to get back to work).

ironcorona

Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ironcorona wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> is there no notion
>>> of `localhost' and a local http server in windows?

>> Of course there is. You just point the browser at a html file on your
>> your local disk.

> That's not the same thing. Also Windows doesn't have alocal web server
> by default, you have to install one (typically PWS, or maybe Apache)
> For subtle bugs, looking at files in a filesystem is certainly NOT the
> same thing as a web server. You don't get HTTP headers, so you often
> see browsers behaving differently. It's OK for quick draft design work,
> but don't go bug-hunting this way.

Ah yes, of course. There's no dispute there. But for many things that
can go wrong IMHO you don't need to have the page on a server.

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

Alan J. Flavell

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That's not the same thing. Also Windows doesn't have alocal web
> server by default, you have to install one (typically PWS, or maybe
> Apache)

For those who develop on Windows, but host the results on an Apache
server (which *is* the most usual production web server, after all),
then I'd certainly recommend them installing Win32 Apache2 and using
it to mimic their part of the production web site as closely as
possible[1]

> For subtle bugs, looking at files in a filesystem is certainly NOT
> the same thing as a web server. You don't get HTTP headers, so you
> often see browsers behaving differently. It's OK for quick draft
> design work, but don't go bug-hunting this way.

Fully agree with that.

> (E-Mail Removed) is getting ignored because he expects those who
> might otherwise help him, to do simple work that he's not prepared
> to do himself (placing it on a web server).

Definitely safest to host the test pages on a publicly accessible web
server *and* verify that the problem is still present, before
launching a question here, indeed. Nicest of course if the questioner
can boil the problem down into an uncluttered test case.

I lost count of the number of incidents of copy/paste errors in usenet
postings - which have either introduced some new problem that wasn't
the one they were looking for, or (as in that recent incident on the
uk web group) completely omitted the cause of the problem that they
*were* looking for. Complete waste of everybody's time - not only
their own.

cheers

[1] Yes, Virginia, it *is* possible to create a file called .htaccess
in Windows, even if some Windows applications try to convince you
otherwise! But it's necessary to take care over possible upper/lower
case incompatibilities between windows and production OSes.

--

Debugging package - may contain traces

Jim Moe

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> i've just found it: it the infamous ie `guillotine bug'.
> as for the uploading, it seems really superfluous. is there no notion
> of `localhost' and a local http server in windows? in *nix it's
> commonplace; you just check it locally.

The reason for an URL to a test case is that pasted code usually has
errors or omissions in it that hide the advertised problem. The result is
a series of "What the f--k?" messages that waste everyone's time.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)