Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Testing connection speed between two machines over Cisco 2970 switches

Testing connection speed between two machines over Cisco 2970 switches

Roy M

My environment has a pair of Cisco 2970 switches (for redundancy), two
Sun database servers and I have coming a NetApp which will soon be
hosting my databases and connected to the Sun machines via iScsi. I am
trying to check the throughput over the switches to make sure that I
will have the best performance possible once I have the NetApp in place
since traffic will be pretty heavy between the Suns and the NetApp
filer.

I have been using ttcp on the Sun servers and running speed checks back
and forth between them. I've gotten between 65536.00 KBytes/sec and
87381.33 KBytes/sec during day time hours (when the devices are used
the most by our clients). I'm going to run the tests again during
quiet hours to see what I get then. The Switches are hardcoded to
1000/full, and the Sun machines are using only one card with failover
each.

What i'm trying to find out is if this is 'normal' speed? I want to
make sure that I don't have any setting issues that are slowing me down
once I implement the NetApp. Shouldn't I expect to see closer to the
~100,000 KB/s Gigabit speed?

Also there are two trunk ports between the switches in an etherchannel
so there should be enough bandwidth between the switches.