Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wirless internet on laptop , Accesspoints

Wirless internet on laptop , Accesspoints

Daniel

Hi,

I did some research on wireless networking but I still have two
questions about AccessPoints

Im fairly familiar with networking but never did anything with
wireless, I need to make the network wireless at two of my friends.

Situation 1:

There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3
computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or
wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my
existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop
anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

Situation 2:

At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here
etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like
Wireless modem or so?

Any suggestions?

TIA

Panda

Hi daniel,

Situation 1:

It's better to buy an Access Point with built-in Router than buying an
AP alone ( no big difference in prices).

Remove the existing router and install the new AP with router instead,
I prefer to go with MIMO Wireless to have wider coverage, more
bandwidth and minimum dead spots , and always try to put your
AP+Router in a central and open area in the house.

www.networkingland.com/mimomain.htm

Situation 2:

As in first case I prefer to use one unit for all, you can find a three
in one unit ( Modem, Router and AP), but check with your broadband
service provider if they deliver their line with any modems or just the
line alone.

www.networkingland.com/wifimain.htm

Naim

Malke

Daniel wrote:

Comments inline:

> Situation 1:
>
> There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3
> computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or
> wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my
> existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop
> anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

The main differences between a router and an access point is 1) the
router will have some amount of ethernet ports for wired computers
along with the wireless function and the access point doesn't; 2) the
router acts as a DHCP server and passes out private IP addresses to all
the computers on the lan and the access point doesn't.

In Situation 1, you want to just add the WAP. It will get plugged into
one of the router's ethernet ports. A wireless router can act as a WAP
if you turn off the DHCP function - the router mftr.'s website will
have instructions. Obviously, it is less work to just use a WAP but
sometimes wireless routers are cheaper than WAPs.

> Situation 2:
>
> At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here
> etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like
> Wireless modem or so?

In Situation 2, just buy a wireless router. Obviously, they will need a
cable or dsl Internet connection first. The cable company will come and
install the service and provide the cable modem. The dsl company will
send them a kit with a dsl modem and cd (at least they do it that way
here in California, USA). You need the cable or dsl set up before you
add the router.

Here are some links to help you:

Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2 -

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Daniel

Thanks for the answers and links both, it doesn't make much difference
then so if I can get a wireless router for about the same money I will
just get that.

I heard it could be a problem though because the first Router is on the
second floor and he wants to be able to use the laptop on the first.

Malke

Daniel wrote:

> Thanks for the answers and links both, it doesn't make much difference
> then so if I can get a wireless router for about the same money I will
> just get that.
>
> I heard it could be a problem though because the first Router is on
> the second floor and he wants to be able to use the laptop on the
> first.

Whether your client can get connectivity upstairs really depends on the
construction of the house and interference from other wireless devices
(cordless phones, microwaves, etc.). I'll give you a link for this
subject, but just to give you an idea:

1. I use a Linksys WAP connected to an 8-port Linksys router (not
wireless). My house is 2500 sq. ft. laid out all on one floor - what is
called a "California Ranch" built in 1972. The router/WAP is at one end
of the house and I have no problem getting perfect wireless
connectivity on my laptop at the other end of the house.

2. I have a client who has a older 3-story home (certainly larger than
mine) built probably in the 1920's. She was not able to get
connectivity on the third floor using a regular Linksys wireless
router, which is on the first floor. I suggested she replace the router
with a Pre-N (also known as MIMO) wireless router and she tells me that
has worked perfectly.

3. I have a client who has an 11,000 sq. ft. house with lots of
interference and heavy-duty construction. Regular routers only give her
connectivity over a few rooms. I haven't tried a Pre-N since she wanted
to live with what she had, but probably she would need a more elaborate
setup to cover the entire house anyway.

For a tech, the best solution is to have several different routers and
WAPs on the shelf so you can bring them on-site. If one device doesn't
work, you can quickly change it out for a different one.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Pegleg

On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:09:40 -0700, Malke <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>1. I use a Linksys WAP connected to an 8-port Linksys router (not
>wireless). My house is 2500 sq. ft. laid out all on one floor - what is
>called a "California Ranch" built in 1972. The router/WAP is at one end
>of the house and I have no problem getting perfect wireless
>connectivity on my laptop at the other end of the house.

This sounds about like my house...(Ranch, 2000s.f. & 1974) I use a
LinkSys BEFW11S4 (802.11b) connected to Comcast BroadBand. My office is
at one end of the house. As soon as I go one hall way away into our
family room (20 feet) signal strength goes down to 60%. Going out on
our rear deck (thru one exterior wall, 20feet) or front patio (thru two
interior & one exterior walls, 40 feet) my signal drops to 30% and
almost nil respectfully.

My router sits on a high shelf near the ceiling.

Have a NetGear WGR614802.11g sitting here in a box which I am going to
setup shortly. My primary hope is better signal strength to the patio &
deck.

I am really confused by contradicting info as to
placement...high/against a wall/against a window/etc.

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops,
Question The Policy!

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill