Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Change D70's Firmware to D100 Firmware???

Change D70's Firmware to D100 Firmware???

Mark Mestman

Has anyone here heard a rumor that one can successfully change the
D70's firmware over to the D100's firmware version, for the sake of
improved features/performance in the D70?

I just bought my D70 and I mostly love it...my first digital slr. My
only reservation about the D70 is that when shooting with the built-in
speedlight, I must change the white balance value all the way to -3,
in order to get rid of the markedly blue cast the speedlight gives the
images.

I used the Coolpix 995 for three years before making the change to the
D70, and found the 995 required the white balance to be tuned to -1,
to get rid of the 995's blue cast in images shot with its built-in
flash.

Anyways, any ideas one the speedlight's blue color temperature, and/or
on the rumor of such an arbitrary and radical firmware change??

Thanks,

Mark

Tom Scales

I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
sensor.

"Darrell Larose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9sQTc.121$(E-Mail Removed) ogers.com...
> This is an urban legend, Canon took the guts of the 10D and put them in a
> body made by Mattel with a Fisher-Price lens. Canon then crippled the
> indentical internals through the firmware. Nikon designed the D70 from the
> bottom up. The sensor and internal electronics are all new. Therefore
> different camera with different firmware. BTW- Many don't consider the D7-
> lesser camera. The Drebel is a lesser camera than the 10D.

Tomas Daniska

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
> sensor.

yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in d100.
so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.

--

deejay

Darrell Larose

"Tomas Daniska" <tomas@[REMOVETHIS].tronet.com> wrote in message
news:cfqbr4$1s32$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
> > sensor.

> yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in d100.
> so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.

There is a suggestion that it was a Nikon fabricated sensor. Nikon is making
their own sensor for the D2H.

Tomas Daniska

>> yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in
>> d100.
>> so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.
>>

> There is a suggestion that it was a Nikon fabricated sensor. Nikon is
> making
> their own sensor for the D2H.

D2H: Nikon-developed LBCAST sensor. So yes, their own, or more likely
"quasi-own" (manufactured according to Nikon design & specs) as I don't
think Nikon owns a silicon-processing fab...

D100: standard Sony 6MP CCD
D70: same as above, but "2nd generation"

--

deejay