Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 10D still faster

10D still faster

fs

I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

skroob

Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would you
compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?

"fs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
> 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
> selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
> to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

Sf

Good point, now I see that Canon might be coming out with the 20D 8.? MP at
a 1.6 size, and that tells me that the pixels are smaller to fit them in the
same size senior so the Noise will be going up. I hope not.

"skroob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bzBTc.7258$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would you
> compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?
>

> "fs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
> > 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
> > selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I

need
> > to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

Sf

same size SENSOR I mean.

"Sf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Good point, now I see that Canon might be coming out with the 20D 8.? MP

at
> a 1.6 size, and that tells me that the pixels are smaller to fit them in

the
> same size senior so the Noise will be going up. I hope not.
>

> "skroob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bzBTc.7258$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would you
> > compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?
> >

> > "fs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
> > > 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
> > > selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I

> need
> > > to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

Darrell Larose

"fs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
> 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
> selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
> to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

Compare it to the Drebel(300D) as that is Canon's entry level. What lenses
were on each dSLR body?

C J D

skroob wrote:

> Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would you
> compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?
>
> "fs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
> > 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
> > selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
> > to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

Coz the prices are similar?

Colin D.

MarkH

"skroob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bzBTc.7258$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would
> you compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?

If I were considering whether to buy a Canon 10D or a Nikon D70, I would
compare the two! There are many good reasons to favour the 10D out of the
Canon range (better features than the 300D, better price than the 1Ds) and
there are many good reasons to favour the D70 from Nikonís range (better
price/speed than the D100). If I were buying a new D-SLR today then my
pick from Nikon would be the D70 and from Canon it would be the 10D.

The obvious question that I would ask you is: If you were trying to decide
between two cameras how could you not consider comparing them?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Georgette Preddy

"fs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cfBTc.253352$a24.214309@attbi_s03>...
> I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
> 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
> selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
> to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

If it only worked.

Mitch Alsup

"Sf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<wGBTc.312620$XM6.67688@attbi_s53>...
> Good point, now I see that Canon might be coming out with the 20D 8.? MP at
> a 1.6 size, and that tells me that the pixels are smaller to fit them in the
> same size senior so the Noise will be going up. I hope not.

Not necessarily, in the last two years (Moores Law) the transistors
will have become only 1/2 as large as when the 6.3 MP CMOS chip was
first built. These transistors obstruct around 20% of the photon
collecting area on the original sensor will now be around 10% if the
sensor stays at 6.3 MP. Secondly, new processes are available to
enable making the storage cell able to collect more electrons than
before, even utilizing the area under the cell control transistors
to retain charge.

At the same time, Canon (or any other competent engineering team)
will have rung even more performance out of the amplification
and A?D processing of the camera. The combination of smaller
transistors and better amplifiers enables the shrink of the pixels
that make up the sensor.

So while the original 6.3 MP sensor had a storage capacity around
85,000e-, a new smaller cell in a newer silicon process may have
a cell capacity around 100,000e- even though this cell is 10%
linearly smaller than the cell it replaces.

{{For the record, I have worked in the semiconductor industry for
25 years, but have no information about Canon or any other camera
manufacturer, so treat this as an educated guess.}}

Sf

Good point.
I am hoping to get the 10D, and wishing the newer version, if it comes out,
will not blow away the 10D.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...