Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Black & White from Digital Color

Black & White from Digital Color

Jimmy Smith

I have read of various ways using Photoshop to turn a color image into Black
and White. Is it possible to get truly exceptional Black and White from
color using some software? If so, what is the best?

Jimmy

Charles Schuler

"Jimmy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gSuTc.26$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have read of various ways using Photoshop to turn a color image into

Black
> and White. Is it possible to get truly exceptional Black and White from
> color using some software? If so, what is the best?
>
> Jimmy

I don't know about the "best" but this is one that I like:
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips/pdf/colortoB&W.pdf

Bill Hilton

>From: "Jimmy Smith" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I have read of various ways using Photoshop to turn a color image into Black
>and White. Is it possible to get truly exceptional Black and White from
>color using some software? If so, what is the best?

Try the Channel Mixer in monochrome mode for the most control of the
conversion.

Gene Palmiter

That is a good one...I added it to My Tutorials....what? You don't have a My
Tutorials? Maybe you should.

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jimmy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gSuTc.26$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have read of various ways using Photoshop to turn a color image into

> Black
> > and White. Is it possible to get truly exceptional Black and White from
> > color using some software? If so, what is the best?
> >
> > Jimmy

> I don't know about the "best" but this is one that I like:
> http://www.russellbrown.com/tips/pdf/colortoB&W.pdf

Paul D. DeRocco

> "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> Try the Channel Mixer in monochrome mode for the most control of the
> conversion.

For dramatic dark skies, start with 150% red and -50% blue. That's the nice
thing about the channel mixer: you can use negative gains, or gains greater
than 100%.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto(E-Mail Removed)

Keith Cooper

> For dramatic dark skies, start with 150% red and -50% blue. That's the nice
> thing about the channel mixer: you can use negative gains, or gains greater
> than 100%.

I'd also suggest the dual H/S layer technique which I often find gives
similar results.

I did a number of conversions recently for some prints and found that
converting to Lab and deleting the a/b channels worked really well.

I've a collection of most of the different conversion techniques (and
examples) I've been able to find at:
<http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/bwfromcol.html>

If anyone has a method that's not there I'd be happy to add it

bye for now

Keith Cooper