Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can I go digital with this old system?

Can I go digital with this old system?

Abuelo

I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
(Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
Do not have workable usb ports.

Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
to do over.

Any suggestions?

Please reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Thanks.

Abuelo

stan@temple.edu

Abuelo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.

> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.

> Any suggestions?

You could hook up a card reader via your computer's parallel port.
The down side is, it will be slow; very slow. Depends on what you
want to do with the images after you download them to your computer.

ferret

You could use an adapter that takes digital camera cards that slots into the
PCMCI port. You can certainly do this with compactflash cards. Your best bet
though would be to get a new PC

Alan

"Abuelo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI

cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes

now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

dylan

Use the PCMCIA slot with a suitable adaptor, eg compactflash one costs
around 10 ($10) . Will be a bit slow compared to 'modern' systems but
should work fine for your uses. I used a Toshiba 440 CDX for several years
and it still works fine.

The USB port on the the 440 series didn't work due to chip problems, your
465 maybe the same, so you could try to upgrade to Win 98 and try a USB
pcmcia card but this is added expense and you maybe pushing the Tosh's
memory.

"Abuelo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI

cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes

now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

Ron Hunter

Abuelo wrote:
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

You can buy adapters for the PCMCIA port for CF cards, at least.
Quickest, and cheapest approach since Win95 doesn't really like USB.

Skip M

"Abuelo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI

cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes

now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

Probably not well. Anything can be made to work, but the lack of USB ports
would cripple me, at least. Plus the processor speed would let you do other
things, like mow the lawn, while processing images...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Jerry Greenberg

With Win 95 you will not be able to use USB ports. If your machine is
very old, you can put in Win 98 in most cases. If it accepts Win 98
properly, then you can get a PCMCIA USB card. You will then find out
of the BIOS in the machine will support it. Once this is all
accomplished, you can then use the camera to the machine.

Also, see if you can find a PCMCIA card that will directly read a
flashcard. You can then read the flashcard from the camera directly. I
have no idea if Win 95 will see the driver for it. You would have to
try it.

In anycase, your machine will be terribly slow to read a flashcard, or
use any of the newer PCMCIA cards if it is too old.

Another solution is to see if you can get an older digital camera that
will work with the serial and parallel ports. There were some cameras
made up to about 2.5 mp a number of years ago that can work with the
serial and parallel ports. This would work for you, if you are stuck
to use a digital camera. You would have to find one that is used.

There are also some adabtors that can convert serial to USB, and USB
to serial. I have not tried one, but I heard that for many
applications they do work. Some USB devices may not like the adabtor,
because the conversion is too slow, and causes timeout faults. There
is also the fact the the USB device may require some acknowledgements,
and may not be able to see them.

You would have to experiment with all of this.

Personaly, I would strongly consider to get a more modern computer.
You can find some older PIII machines at very good prices that would
work for what you want, and the speed would not be too bad for most
photo tasks.

There are places that will print photos from the camera's flashcard.
Some of these places will make a photo CD in any standard format you
want. Their services are not very expensive.

After doing your camera jobs, you can bring them the flashcard, and
ask them to burn you a CD disk of the contents. They may charge a few
dollars, plus a dollar or two for the CD disk. For a one or two times
use, this would be the most viable solution.

Jerry G.
========

"Abuelo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

Matt Ion

That'll do the trick, but you'll probably need to either a) get a camera
that uses CF memory, then get a PCMCIA adapter for the CF card, or b) get a
PCMCIA USB adapter to plug the camera or a crad reader into, and upgrade to
at least Windows 98SE (earlier versions do not support USB). You may also
want to look at upgrading the memory (depending on how much there is now) as
Win98SE will run better with it, and large images will require it for
efficient processing.

One other thing to be aware of, that I've run into with Toshiba Satellite
laptops: there's a setting in the BIOS for the compatibility type of the
PCMCIA slots, with the options being PCIC-Compatible, and PCMCIA Type II (or
something like that)... most PCMCIA cards *will not work properly* if the
slots are set for PCIC, and may give the impression that the slots are
faulty. I fought with different WiFi, NIC and modem cards for quite a while
before I discovered this on my sister's Satellite: the cards would be
recognized by Windows, but couldn't be enabled by their software. If you're
having problems with PC Cards on your laptop, check this out.

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein

"Abuelo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI

cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes

now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

John EO

Evidently you aren't really into the latest and greatest of what's out
there. Nothing wrong with that (keeping up these days does cost $$$$) if
what you have still serves your purpose.

Many solutions have been offered and no one has mentioned a Sony Mavica,
either a CD Mavica that records directly to CD or a floppy Mavica that
records directly to floppy.

There are also models that record to Memory Stick and also have a floppy
drive such as the Mavica FD-97 (I have one of these). This is only a 2.1mp
camera but still records excellent quality photos which you can record to MS
and copy to floppy if need be (for tranfering to your lap top). You can also
record directly to the floppy though the compression is much greater to
allow 4 1600x1200 photos on a floppy. (950kb vs 350kb approx)

There are some newer models of these Sony Mavicas out or you could probably
pick up a used one (eBay?) fairly inexpensive.

For the most part the Mavicas are not the newest tecnology but provide an
alternative for older computer systems and they are very well made digital
cameras. I bought my FD-91 (.9mp) in early '99, took thousands of shots with
it, gave it to my son who took I don't know how many shots and now I have it
back and it still works flawlessly.

"Abuelo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI

cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes

now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

dj_nme

Abuelo wrote:
> I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
> Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
> (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
> Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
> Do not have workable usb ports.
>
> Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
> Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
> e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
> would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
> Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
> I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
> to do over.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Abuelo

The only way to copy from a recently (last 2~3 years) made digital
camera is to use a PCMCIA (PC card) to Compact Flash (CF) adapter.
I have an older (circa 1995) Olympus D-600L DSLR that has a serial port
connection, but uses a proprietary plug on the camera and it is only 1.5 MP.

I am pretty sure that the CF to PC card adapter is about the only viable
solution. The computer will see the CF card as just another harddisk.