Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Opinions on Canon i900D?

Opinions on Canon i900D?

Matt Ion

Looking for a decent printer to hook up to my Digital Rebel... I was
particularly impressed by the i860 for price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
the i960 as a second option (costs around $40 more, and I don't see any
significant differences in the specs except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
i860). But now the local FutureShop has the i900D on for the same $199,
$100 off the usual price... looks especially ncie as it seems to have the
same general specs as the i960, but with the addition of multiple card slots
AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor pre-print tweaking. The only catch is it
appears to have nearly double the print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
35s).

Anyone used either (or better yet, both) of these printers that can comment?
Is the i900D worth taking advantage of the 1/3 price savings?

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein

Ryadia

Matt Ion wrote:
> Looking for a decent printer to hook up to my Digital Rebel... I was
> particularly impressed by the i860 for price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
> the i960 as a second option (costs around $40 more, and I don't see any
> significant differences in the specs except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
> i860). But now the local FutureShop has the i900D on for the same $199,
> $100 off the usual price... looks especially ncie as it seems to have the
> same general specs as the i960, but with the addition of multiple card slots
> AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor pre-print tweaking. The only catch is it
> appears to have nearly double the print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
> 35s).
>
> Anyone used either (or better yet, both) of these printers that can comment?
> Is the i900D worth taking advantage of the 1/3 price savings?

I used to own A 9000 Canon printer. I was at first delighted with it's
output but after the first photos began to fade and shift colour, I
realised I'd made the wrong choice. Now I use 3 different printers for
different purposes. I use a Minolta Magicolor laser printer to make
postcards and brochures, a HP Designjet 130 for wall art and panorama
prints and an Epson R300 with continuous flow system.

The little Epson runs all day long on 6"x4" prints I use as proofs and
do for other people. It cost's next to nothing for ink now. It makes
absolutely beautiful photographs and they don't fade or shift colour in
a short time like the canon stuff does.

I can highly recommend the 6 colour Hewlett Packard printers too. Mine
does up to 24" wide and although I have only just got it, I know from
what other Photographers are doing with theirs, these are the "Epson
killers" of large format printers.

If I were today to be faced with buying a new A4 printer... Based on
what I now know, I would buy either an Epson r800 or a HP, 6 colour
printer. The Canon's are simply not up to producing lasting output
unless you laminate it. Both the Epson an HP (using the right paper)
will make prints that last.

I have on my wall I picture I printed on an Epson 640 almost 4 years ago
and a another picture I printed on a Canon i320 when they were first
released 2 years ago. I can still make out the outline of the people in
the Canon print if I look real close but there is no colour left in it.
The Epson print (on Kodak everyday picture paper) still looks like I
printed it a few weeks ago.

Canon prints are not too bad under glass or laminated but leave them
exposed to the air and they shift colour within a few weeks and begin to
fade within a month or so. The Epson r200 is good value, better (in my
opinion) than the Canons and it is the same 6 colour engine as the r300.

Ryadia

YoYo

I have the Canon I9900 and it is
outstanding!!
When using Canon Photo Paper Plus prints
are perfect and fast (30sec for 4x6 or
3min for 13x19 edge to edge). I printed
a photo when I first bought the printer
and put that picture on a outside shelf
that is in full sun and months latter
no change in photo. That passed my
test!!

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
> Looking for a decent printer to hook

up to my Digital Rebel... I was
> particularly impressed by the i860 for

price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
> the i960 as a second option (costs

around $40 more, and I don't see any
> significant differences in the specs

except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
> i860). But now the local FutureShop

has the i900D on for the same $199,
> $100 off the usual price... looks

especially ncie as it seems to have the
> same general specs as the i960, but

with the addition of multiple card slots
> AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor

pre-print tweaking. The only catch is
it
> appears to have nearly double the

print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
> 35s).
>
> Anyone used either (or better yet,

both) of these printers that can
comment?
> Is the i900D worth taking advantage of

the 1/3 price savings?

> --
> "Few people are capable of expressing

with equanimity opinions which differ
> from the prejudices of their social

environment. Most people are even
> incapable of forming such opinions."
> -- Albert Einstein

Dennis D. Carter

I also bought the i9900. I agree. It prints fast, the color is
outstanding, and I haven't noticed any distortion over time.
Dennis D. Carter

"YoYo" <(E-Mail Removed) your.business.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have the Canon I9900 and it is
> outstanding!!
> When using Canon Photo Paper Plus prints
> are perfect and fast (30sec for 4x6 or
> 3min for 13x19 edge to edge). I printed
> a photo when I first bought the printer
> and put that picture on a outside shelf
> that is in full sun and months latter
> no change in photo. That passed my
> test!!
>
> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message
> > Looking for a decent printer to hook

> up to my Digital Rebel... I was
> > particularly impressed by the i860 for

> price (CDN$199) vs. performance, with
> > the i960 as a second option (costs

> around $40 more, and I don't see any
> > significant differences in the specs

> except for 6 ink tanks vs. 5 for the
> > i860). But now the local FutureShop

> has the i900D on for the same $199,
> > $100 off the usual price... looks

> especially ncie as it seems to have the
> > same general specs as the i960, but

> with the addition of multiple card slots
> > AND onboard 2.5" LCD for minor

> pre-print tweaking. The only catch is
> it
> > appears to have nearly double the

> print times of the i960 (75s for 4x6 vs.
> > 35s).
> >
> > Anyone used either (or better yet,

> both) of these printers that can
> comment?
> > Is the i900D worth taking advantage of

> the 1/3 price savings?
> >

> > --
> > "Few people are capable of expressing

> with equanimity opinions which differ
> > from the prejudices of their social

> environment. Most people are even
> > incapable of forming such opinions."
> > -- Albert Einstein

Ryadia

Dennis D. Carter wrote:

> I also bought the i9900. I agree. It prints fast, the color is
> outstanding, and I haven't noticed any distortion over time.
> Dennis D. Carter

From an earlier post by another person in this group;

"I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
thoughts?"

So it would seem 2 pluses and 2 minuses equal a maybe?

Ryadia

des

In article <QUnTc.57350$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Dennis D. Carter wrote:
>
> > I also bought the i9900. I agree. It prints fast, the color is
> > outstanding, and I haven't noticed any distortion over time.
> > Dennis D. Carter
> >

> From an earlier post by another person in this group;
>
> "I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
> i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
> few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
> to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
> I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
> pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
> thoughts?"
>
> So it would seem 2 pluses and 2 minuses equal a maybe?
>
> Ryadia

I have the i960 which makes great prints using photo paper plus and pro,
but also have significant fading if exposed to air. OK if put behind
glass though.

REED BOXIN

i used the s9000 to do alot of on the spot photos and also the local little
leauge team pictures and indivual portraits, dance studio etc .

they definetly fade , not a good thing if your selling prints to people .
i was looking to get the upgrade to the 9100 but got the
kodak 8500 dye sub printer instead
the paper and ribbon is expensive
$ 2.00 per sheet average for 81/2 x 12
well worth it nice laminated print that i feel confident about selling to
someone .

i print them out thru photoshop cs to get the best results .

gene

>From an earlier post by another person in this group;
>
>"I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
>i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
>few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
>to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
>I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
>pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
>thoughts?"
>
>So it would seem 2 pluses and 2 minuses equal a maybe?
>
>Ryadia

Skip M

"REED BOXIN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i used the s9000 to do alot of on the spot photos and also the local

little
> leauge team pictures and indivual portraits, dance studio etc .
>
> they definetly fade , not a good thing if your selling prints to people .
> i was looking to get the upgrade to the 9100 but got the
> kodak 8500 dye sub printer instead
> the paper and ribbon is expensive
> $ 2.00 per sheet average for 81/2 x 12
> well worth it nice laminated print that i feel confident about selling to
> someone .
>
> i print them out thru photoshop cs to get the best results .
>
> gene
>

> >From an earlier post by another person in this group;
> >
> >"I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
> >i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
> >few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
> >to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
> >I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
> >pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
> >thoughts?"
> >
> >So it would seem 2 pluses and 2 minuses equal a maybe?
> >
> >Ryadia

What paper are you guys printing on who get fading with Canon 9000, 9100 and
9900 printers? I have experienced no significant fading since I bought my
9000 in Feb. I print on Ilford Gallerie Classic and Smooth, both Pearl and
Glossy, papers, and on Epson Double Heavyweight Matte

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Steve West

I use the i850 also, and fading depends on paper type. I print 8x10s and
have a big bulletin board I post them on. Printing to glossy pro paper will
cause fading. I've gotten aound this by putting them into 8x10 transparent
sleeves. If you print to matte paper, there doesn't seem to be any fading
if they are left unprotected. Both papers are Canon.

Steve

"Ryadia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QUnTc.57350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis D. Carter wrote:
> "I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
> i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
> few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
> to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
> I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
> pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
> thoughts?"

Matt Ion

"Ryadia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KGmTc.57277$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Canon prints are not too bad under glass or laminated but leave them
> exposed to the air and they shift colour within a few weeks and begin to
> fade within a month or so. The Epson r200 is good value, better (in my
> opinion) than the Canons and it is the same 6 colour engine as the r300.

Hmm, three different printers are a little our of the budget right now...
personally, I've used a few different Epson color inkjets before and never
liked them: the jets had a nasty tendency to clog up if not used at least
weekly.

That A9000 is an older unit too, no? I suspect Canon has improved things
since then, as the sample prints I've seen in all the local stores would
indicate after months of sitting out on display (and showing signs of much
abuse of being bent, curled, dropped on the floor, etc.)