Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Problem with battery charger

Problem with battery charger

Richard Cline

I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger is
a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.

I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
centered well.

Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
solve the problem.

Dick

Joseph Meehan

Richard Cline wrote:
> I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger is
> a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
> make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
> paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
> minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
>
> I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
> There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
> appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
> centered well.
>
> Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
> problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
> solve the problem.
>
> Dick

Are the batteries the same brand as the charger? Sometimes chargers and
batteries just don't work together well.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ken Weitzel

Richard Cline wrote:

> I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger is
> a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
> make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
> paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
> minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
>
> I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
> There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
> appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
> centered well.
>
> Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
> problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
> solve the problem.
>
> Dick

Hi Dick...

Don't know either your camera or your charger, but
a good (and free) bet would be to take a fresh
pencil eraser and gently polish both the pins and
the mating surfaces on the batteries...

Ken

Joseph Meehan

Ken Weitzel wrote:
> Richard Cline wrote:
>
>> I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger is
>> a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
>> make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
>> paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
>> minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
>>
>> I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
>> There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
>> appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
>> centered well.
>>
>> Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
>> problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
>> solve the problem.
>>
>> Dick

> Hi Dick...
>
> Don't know either your camera or your charger, but
> a good (and free) bet would be to take a fresh
> pencil eraser and gently polish both the pins and
> the mating surfaces on the batteries...
>
> Ken

Good point. That also fits the description and is a common problem.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Alan Meyer

"Richard Cline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the

charger is
> a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem

> make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By

wedging
> paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it

means 10
> minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
>
> I have two batteries and the problem is present with both

batteries.
> There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins

certainly
> appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to

be
> centered well.
>
> Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
> problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that

it will
> solve the problem.
>
> Dick

I don't know the design of this charger and battery
but is it possible to put a rubber band around it to
hold the battery against the charger wall? That would
take 5 seconds instead of 10 minutes with paper shims.

Alan

Richard Cline

In article <jFcTc.168336$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Joseph Meehan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Everything is Canon. The battery and the charger and the camera. It is
all less than one year old. I have tried to roughen the contact points
on the battery. It is impossible to reach the contact points on the
charger.

Dick

Richard Cline wrote:
> In article <jFcTc.168336$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Joseph Meehan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Everything is Canon. The battery and the charger and the camera. It is
> all less than one year old. I have tried to roughen the contact points
> on the battery. It is impossible to reach the contact points on the
> charger.

That is the most likely problem. A pencil eraser usually will work
well.

> Dick
>
>> Richard Cline wrote:
>>> I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger
>>> is
>>> a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
>>> make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
>>> paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
>>> minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
>>>
>>> I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
>>> There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
>>> appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
>>> centered well.
>>>
>>> Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
>>> problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it
>>> will
>>> solve the problem.
>>>
>>> Dick

>> Are the batteries the same brand as the charger? Sometimes chargers
>> and
>> batteries just don't work together well.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Jerry Greenberg

If the contacts are not oxidized, it is possible that there is a cold
solder connection in the charger. The pressure of the paper is forcing
the contact to work.

You should take it in to have it properly checked, unless you are
skilled at servicing these, and have the training, and tools to
service them.

Jerry G.
========