Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson 1290S - Black isn't black

Epson 1290S - Black isn't black

Chris Gilbert

I'd appreciate some opinions from people who have used the above
printer.

I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

TIA

Chris

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Chris Gilbert)

>I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
>the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
>a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
>according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
>have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
>without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

What software are you using to print from? If Photoshop, are you soft proofing
to an accurate printer profile, and using a calibrated monitor? If you're
doing this then you should get a good match except for colors that are out of
gamut. If you're not doing something like this it's more hit or miss.

Bill

bmoag

Getting quality prints out photoprinters is not as easy as manufacturers
lead people to think. To see what your printer is capable of you need to
learn the basics of color management and workflow. There just isn't any
other way because that is the system that the manufacturers are designing to
work with their printers.

I have looked at other programs but realistically printer manufacturers make
their products primarily Adobe compatible which means Photoshop or Elements
are the easiest to configure. Color management is possible, but difficult in
my experience, in Photopaint and to a limited extent Paintshop. You can get
good results without color management but you have to be able to be certain
that color management is turned off in your photoprogram: if not the usual
result is a frustrating pink or red discoloration in all prints. Epson
printers in my experience are less tolerant of color mismanagement than some
other brands.

If you have PS or Elements the easiest way to learn is to look up the Epson
Print Academy, presuming Epson still offers this on their web site. Just
watching how it is done will be easier than reading a long instruction book.
The cost is not much more than one color ink cartridge.

Dankwart Koehler

Apart from the aspects of printer and print management that others have
answered, are you sure your image (if that is what you are talking about)
contains real blacks.
If you use Photoshop, use "adjust", "levels" and move the left slider to the
beginning of black, readjusting the other sliders bak to their desired
darkness - or ,alternatively, use the black eyedropper to mark the darkest
intensity..

"Chris Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I'd appreciate some opinions from people who have used the above
> printer.
>
> I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
> the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
> a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
> according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
> have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
> without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?
>
> TIA
>
> Chris

Chris Gilbert

Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. Yes, I use Elements so clearly
there's a bit of legwork on my part required on my part. I appreciate
your time.

Chris

Yehuda Paradise

epson printers are famous for their incredibly accurate register: if you run
a print (DRY!!!) once more, the image doesn't shift at all. this led me to
experiment, and now, if i need blacker blacks, i simply run the print once
more trough the printer. of course, i first erase everything i don't want to
print twice - otherwise i get very queer results...

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (Chris Gilbert)

> >I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
> >the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
> >a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
> >according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
> >have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
> >without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

> What software are you using to print from? If Photoshop, are you soft

proofing
> to an accurate printer profile, and using a calibrated monitor? If you're
> doing this then you should get a good match except for colors that are out

of
> gamut. If you're not doing something like this it's more hit or miss.
>
> Bill

MikeS

"Chris Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lP8Tc.3340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. Yes, I use Elements so clearly
> there's a bit of legwork on my part required on my part. I appreciate
> your time.
>
> Chris
>
>Chris,

Let us know how you get on.
MikeS

Jerry Greenberg

Since you are working from your monitor, check that the calibration of
your monitor is good to start with, when doing your photo editing, and
adjustment. It is very important that the contrast and brightness are
properly set up to grey scale. Then make sure that you are using the
proper paper.

I had a client with the same problem. He was adjusting his black
levels in his owrk to be higher, when using his photo editor software.
The blacks looked crashed in his monitor. I did the grey scale test,
and found the black level (brightness) on the monitor to be set far
too low. After properly setting it up, he no longer had the problem,
that he was making for himself.

The Epson printer are supposed to be very accurate for their print
quality. You should not have this type of fault, if everything is
properly set up on your system.

Jerry G.
========

(E-Mail Removed) (Chris Gilbert) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> I'd appreciate some opinions from people who have used the above
> printer.
>
> I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
> the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
> a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
> according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
> have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
> without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?
>
> TIA
>
> Chris

David Dyer-Bennet

(E-Mail Removed) (Chris Gilbert) writes:

> I'd appreciate some opinions from people who have used the above
> printer.
>
> I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
> the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
> a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
> according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
> have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
> without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

Hardware monitor profiling. Then use the right printer profile for
the paper, and use a photo grade paper (which are designed to accept
and handle a much heavier ink load).

ed

news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...

<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
> Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

Or check which View "Proof Setup" looks most like your print, and then work
in that mode. Then u get WYSIWYG. Waziwig... my friend