Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how to get this kind of colors

how to get this kind of colors

Mxsmanic

aladin07 writes:

> I tried to use Velvia action but it still not this what I expect
> so I do know what it could be.

You get Velvia colors by shooting Velvia.

Mxsmanic

aladin07 writes:

> there something more about this but I do not know what and I am sure
> that it does not matter that those are diffrent cameras.

In digital, it matters a lot, since the image capture device is built
permanently into the camera. Image characteristics can differ
dramatically from one camera to the next, even in identical shooting
conditions with identical light and lenses.

With film, only the lens really matters, assuming that the same film is
used (obviously, if you change films, you have the same variability
you'd see with different digital bodies).

David Littlewood

In article <cfieur$q31$(E-Mail Removed)>, aladin07
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>hi David
>
>I know that they are not correct and natural
>this photography was made using D100
>http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/d...04/img0100.jpg
>when I do exactly the same picture ( usind 10D ) as author of this photo
>the colors were diffrent. my was a little bit warmer but I think that is not
>all.
>http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/j...04/img0007.jpg
>for example look at the grass color on the left side ( I not saying
>about the sharpness )
>there something more about this but I do not know what and I am sure
>that it does not matter that those are diffrent cameras.
>when I saw other photos made by D100 theirs colors were pretty close to my.
>so I think it dippends on the digital darkroom but I do not know what to
>do
>to get this kind of effect.
>look at this gallery and I think that You will say that the colors are
>starnge
>http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/g...?id=1092207971
>
>for example for me when I am looking at this photo
>http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/d...04/img0003.jpg
>I can say that it is cold but the saturation is quite high - if it is
>possible in the same time
>I think that if I would do it it would be much grayer in the same conditions
>and the same
>exposition
>
>may be You can explain it to me

OK, I gave it my best shot (OK, my best shot in 2 minutes) and the
first-mentioned mazur shot (yours?) now looks more closely like the
second (kalamus) shot you are trying to reproduce. I used Image ->
Adjustments -> Colour Balance; select shadows, move slider 40 -> green;
select highlights -> 30 magenta (to get the car back to near-neutrality.

It now looks a lot closer to kalamus. You can tweak the levels a bit to
darken the shadows if you like to get closer, but it was the colours I
think you were concerned about.

If that's your real e-mail address I'll send you a copy of the result,
if you wish.

David
--
David Littlewood

rubens

> If that's your real e-mail address I'll send you a copy of the result,
> if you wish.

yes there is my email and I wish to get it
thank You very much

David Littlewood

In article <cfj8nl$m73$(E-Mail Removed)>, rubens <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes

>> If that's your real e-mail address I'll send you a copy of the result,
>> if you wish.
>>

>yes there is my email and I wish to get it
>thank You very much

OK, sent by e-mail.

You may also like to try Image -> Adjust -> Hue/Saturation -> increase
saturation to taste.

David
--
David Littlewood

Roland Karlsson

"aladin07" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cfieur$q31$(E-Mail Removed):

The major difference between your friends pictures and your
own is the actual subject. On your pictures there is plain
wood and rather "uninteresting" people. Your friend's photos
are better mainly because he has a better eye (maybe he is
more experienced?) for the photo.

http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/g...?id=1092207971

If you look at img009 it is a bright yellow car and a
nice charcoal grey road.

If you look at img005 you see the same kind of trick. It is
a bright red car and an almost totally grey background.

img003 that you liked is built from four colors - yellow,
blue, grey (again) and green. Look at the grass - it is
yellow - just like the car and the flowers in the foreground.

img0016 is also grey, yellow, blue and green.

I like img0012. The car is a real contrast to the fantastic
scenery. Totally unexpected.

So - maybe he does something to increase the saturation. But -
the main difference starts when taking the photo IMHO.

/Roland

Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

"aladin07" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfi9ju$r91$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
>
> at the bigining forgive me my english
>
> I would like to ask how can I get this kind of colors ( like on this photo
> below )
> http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/d...04/img0052.jpg
> I know that this colors are a little not natural but I like it
> I tried to do it in many ways using some photoshop actions, setting
> different saturation
> contrast, brightness and also using different RAW converters but I still

do
> have this
> type of colors.
> please help me how can I get it?
> it took me a lot of time but I do not have any results.
> thanks all of You

You have missed the most important piece of information - what lens do you
use, and what lens does the other guy use. Lenses are what it comes down to
when we start talking about colors. The accurate color reproduction, good
contrast, depth of field and sharpness are all mostly dependant on the lens.
If your friend is using some high quality glass, and you're shooting with
your el cheapo Tamron or Sigma or whatever, it comes as no surprise he's got
punchier images and you end up with washed and dull photos.

Also, with digital cameras you can tweak a whole bunch of options in camera.
You can make higher contrast, you can bump up the saturation, you can adjust
the color tone, you can shoot in Adobe RGB (this is very good for capturing
exactle these bright colors we see here), you can make manual white balance,
etc. And then of course there's photoshop - using it properly and knowing
it's capabilities is as important as knowing your way in the film lab.

So, if you're stuck with crappy lens, then you'll have to learn the get what
you want by adjusting sliders and clicking icons. But, if you want to do it
the right way, just buy better glass.

--
------------------------------
online photo portfolio

" If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the
event, what film would you use?"
- Anonymous

Natalia Blomeier

Hi,

We develop software for color correction using colors from other
photos. Sounds like it solves exactly the same problem you have.
However, I played with your image and found it rather difficult to
correct.

If you want to see the software - it is here:
http://www.colorpilot.com/pilot.html

I got a relative good (but still not perfect result) when I took color
of the trees on the background from this photo:
http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/d...04/img0100.jpg

and then told the program that the color of the trees on this photo:
http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/j...04/img0007.jpg
should be the same as on the first one.

Natalia

Dave

"aladin07" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cfi9ju$r91$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> hi
>
> at the bigining forgive me my english
>
> I would like to ask how can I get this kind of colors ( like on this photo
> below )
> http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/d...04/img0052.jpg
> I know that this colors are a little not natural but I like it
> I tried to do it in many ways using some photoshop actions, setting
> different saturation
> contrast, brightness and also using different RAW converters but I still do
> have this
> type of colors.
> please help me how can I get it?
> it took me a lot of time but I do not have any results.
> thanks all of You

Your English is fine.

The photo in question just looks like they bumped up the saturation
(Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation). They also had a nice, flat
lighting and a boldly colored subject to begin with. Both of those
help a lot.

Dave

---
View my photo gear on eBay: