Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Windows XP utility for setting file date / time to when-taken in EXIF data?

Windows XP utility for setting file date / time to when-taken in EXIF data?

Dilip Barman

Are there any free and simple utilities that can:

* Read EXIF data of one or multiple files for the date and time a .jpg
image was taken

* Set the Windows file date / time to this time-picture-taken

* Work in individual or batch mode, with a graphical user interface or
from a command line

* Not modify the EXIF data or the file in any way other than setting
the date and time

* Be a simple utility for this and not a "kitchen sink" with many
other features such as extracting EXIF fields, unless those features
can easily be ignored

* Runs under Windows XP

Thanks!

--Dilip

David J Taylor

Dilip Barman wrote:
> Are there any free and simple utilities that can:

Dilip,

Take a look at PIE - Picture Information Extractor

http://www.picmeta.com

Not free, and no command-line, but it does much of what you need and more,
such as lossless JPEG image rotation.

Cheers,
David

wald

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dilip Barman) wrote:

> Are there any free and simple utilities that can:
>
> * Read EXIF data of one or multiple files for the date and time
> a .jpg image was taken
>
> * Set the Windows file date / time to this time-picture-taken
>
> * Work in individual or batch mode, with a graphical user
> interface or from a command line
>
> * Not modify the EXIF data or the file in any way other than
> setting the date and time
>
> * Be a simple utility for this and not a "kitchen sink" with
> many other features such as extracting EXIF fields, unless those
> features can easily be ignored
>
> * Runs under Windows XP

Sounds like a perfect job for a Python script... I don't have the
time to write it for you, though

There's a good EXIF module with some example code available over
here:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/digital_camera.html

Regards,
Wald

Matt Ion

Try "Exif-Viewer 2". Get it at www.amarra.de

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein

"Dilip Barman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Are there any free and simple utilities that can:
>
> * Read EXIF data of one or multiple files for the date and time a .jpg
> image was taken
>
> * Set the Windows file date / time to this time-picture-taken
>
> * Work in individual or batch mode, with a graphical user interface or
> from a command line
>
> * Not modify the EXIF data or the file in any way other than setting
> the date and time
>
> * Be a simple utility for this and not a "kitchen sink" with many
> other features such as extracting EXIF fields, unless those features
> can easily be ignored
>
> * Runs under Windows XP
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Dilip

Hans-Georg Michna

On 12 Aug 2004 23:55:10 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Dilip Barman)
wrote:

>Are there any free and simple utilities that can:
>
>* Read EXIF data of one or multiple files for the date and time a .jpg
>image was taken
>
>* Set the Windows file date / time to this time-picture-taken
>
>* Work in individual or batch mode, with a graphical user interface or
>from a command line
>
>* Not modify the EXIF data or the file in any way other than setting
>the date and time
>
>* Be a simple utility for this and not a "kitchen sink" with many
>other features such as extracting EXIF fields, unless those features
>can easily be ignored
>
>* Runs under Windows XP

Dilip,

I recently tried a few and finally picked Jhead from
http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/.

It doesn't have a graphical interface, but I don't think I'll
ever miss that. jhead -h outputs the help, so no problem there.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.