Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Will my old 380ex speedlite work well with the 300D or 10D

Will my old 380ex speedlite work well with the 300D or 10D

Ged

As the questions says...Still pondering on which of the above models to buy.
I use a 380ex speedlite on my Eos50e.

Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS

Thanks

Ged

Bill Hilton

Yes, with either one ...

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ged)

>As the questions says...Still pondering on which of the above models to buy.
>I use a 380ex speedlite on my Eos50e.
>
>Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS

DigiFilm

I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy a
550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes fired
at full power on the dslr's

--
www.Digifilm.info
"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, with either one ...
>
> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (Ged)

> >As the questions says...Still pondering on which of the above models to

buy.
> >I use a 380ex speedlite on my Eos50e.
> >
> >Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS

Skip M

"DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy

> 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

fired
> at full power on the dslr's
>
> --
> www.Digifilm.info
> "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes, with either one ...
> >
> > >From: (E-Mail Removed) (Ged)

> > >As the questions says...Still pondering on which of the above models to

> buy.
> > >I use a 380ex speedlite on my Eos50e.
> > >
> > >Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS

Why won't it? My 420EX works on our 10D...after all, the 380EX 420EX and
550EX are all made by Canon, which your Sunpak and Vivitar were not.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

dslr

In article <jsVSc.249732$IQ4.227541@attbi_s02>, "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote:
>I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy a
>550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes fired
>at full power on the dslr's

Yes it will, it's a full E-TTL flash.

--
KRs
dslr

Bill Hilton

> "DigiFilm" wrote:

>I don't think it (380EX) will utilize the full ettl function though.

The EX series (380, 420, 550) all have full E-TTL support (though the 420 and
550 have other extra features like wireless slaves or bracketing, etc).

Maybe you are confusing the 380 with the earlier EZ series flashes, which don't
fully support E-TTL?

Jim Townsend

Ged wrote:

> As the questions says...Still pondering on which of the above models to buy.
> I use a 380ex speedlite on my Eos50e.
>
> Will it function well with either of the above DSLRS
>
> Thanks
>
> Ged

It will work just fine.. Everything about the flash will function
as it should, including the AF assist light.

I use one on my 10D.

Mark B.

"DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to buy

> 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

fired
> at full power on the dslr's

ANY Canon -EX flash is fully compatible with Canon digital SLR. Sunpak &
Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.

Mark

Skip M

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to

buy
> > 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

> fired
> > at full power on the dslr's
> >

> ANY Canon -EX flash is fully compatible with Canon digital SLR. Sunpak &
> Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.
>
> Mark

Except the Sunpak 120J. My cousin uses one on his 10D, works just fine.
May only do TTL, though, I forgot to ask him that.

--

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<EnpTc.37443$ih.16059@fed1read07>...
> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "DigiFilm" <dholliday16(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > I don't think it will utilize the full ettl function though. I hade to

> buy
> > > 550ex for my d60 and 10d. My Sunpak and vivitar eos campatible flashes

> fired
> > > at full power on the dslr's
> > >

> > ANY Canon -EX flash is fully compatible with Canon digital SLR. Sunpak &
> > Vivitar EOS compatible are only compatible with film TTL.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Except the Sunpak 120J. My cousin uses one on his 10D, works just fine.
> May only do TTL, though, I forgot to ask him that.

Thanks again for your continued help! Canon DSLR it is.

Ged