Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 300D + Sigma 70-300 or Canon 100-300?

300D + Sigma 70-300 or Canon 100-300?

Marcel Alsemgeest

Hi,

I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and now I want to buy a telelens with
decent range to be able to make pictures of more or less distant animals and
other interesting subjects in the distance. I have searched for information
and prices on zoom telelenses and have narrowed my options to the:
- Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II;
- Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.

Both are priced about equally and seem to get relatively good reviews (taken
into account that these are relatively cheap lenses). My budget is limited
so the often recommended L-lenses are no options. I have found comparisons
between different lenses, with example pictures to show the differences in
image quality. That's how I filtered most of the lenses away and ended up
with these two options. They are about equally priced with the Canon lens
only some 50 Euro's above the Sigma. But now I need to make a choice: should
I go for the Canon or the Sigma? I haven't been able to find good
comparisons between these two lenses. Maybe someone in this group knows
these types of lenses and is willing to give me advice on which to buy to
use with the EOS 300D. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Marcel
The Netherlands

YoYo

Go for the Canon Lens! How can you go
wrong when it is the same brand? :+)

"Marcel Alsemgeest" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
news:cfh0pr$hqf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and

now I want to buy a telelens with
> decent range to be able to make

pictures of more or less distant animals
and
> other interesting subjects in the

distance. I have searched for
information
> and prices on zoom telelenses and have

narrowed my options to the:
> - Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super

II;
> - Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.
>
> Both are priced about equally and seem

to get relatively good reviews (taken
> into account that these are relatively

cheap lenses). My budget is limited
> so the often recommended L-lenses are

no options. I have found comparisons
> between different lenses, with example

pictures to show the differences in
> image quality. That's how I filtered

most of the lenses away and ended up
> with these two options. They are about

equally priced with the Canon lens
> only some 50 Euro's above the Sigma.

But now I need to make a choice: should
> I go for the Canon or the Sigma? I

haven't been able to find good
> comparisons between these two lenses.

Maybe someone in this group knows
> these types of lenses and is willing

to give me advice on which to buy to
> use with the EOS 300D. Any help is

greatly appreciated!

> Marcel
> The Netherlands

jean

Add a few $ and go for the Canon 75-300 f4-5,6 with IS, worth every penny.

Jean

"Marcel Alsemgeest" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:cfh0pr$hqf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and now I want to buy a telelens with
> decent range to be able to make pictures of more or less distant animals

and
> other interesting subjects in the distance. I have searched for

information
> and prices on zoom telelenses and have narrowed my options to the:
> - Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II;
> - Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.
>
> Both are priced about equally and seem to get relatively good reviews

(taken
> into account that these are relatively cheap lenses). My budget is limited
> so the often recommended L-lenses are no options. I have found comparisons
> between different lenses, with example pictures to show the differences in
> image quality. That's how I filtered most of the lenses away and ended up
> with these two options. They are about equally priced with the Canon lens
> only some 50 Euro's above the Sigma. But now I need to make a choice:

should
> I go for the Canon or the Sigma? I haven't been able to find good
> comparisons between these two lenses. Maybe someone in this group knows
> these types of lenses and is willing to give me advice on which to buy to
> use with the EOS 300D. Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Marcel
> The Netherlands

Skip M

"Marcel Alsemgeest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfh0pr$hqf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and now I want to buy a telelens with
> decent range to be able to make pictures of more or less distant animals

and
> other interesting subjects in the distance. I have searched for

information
> and prices on zoom telelenses and have narrowed my options to the:
> - Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II;
> - Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.
>
> Both are priced about equally and seem to get relatively good reviews

(taken
> into account that these are relatively cheap lenses). My budget is limited
> so the often recommended L-lenses are no options. I have found comparisons
> between different lenses, with example pictures to show the differences in
> image quality. That's how I filtered most of the lenses away and ended up
> with these two options. They are about equally priced with the Canon lens
> only some 50 Euro's above the Sigma. But now I need to make a choice:

should
> I go for the Canon or the Sigma? I haven't been able to find good
> comparisons between these two lenses. Maybe someone in this group knows
> these types of lenses and is willing to give me advice on which to buy to
> use with the EOS 300D. Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Marcel
> The Netherlands

All things being equal, stick with Canon. The Sigma lacks their version of
USM, called HSM, the Canon has true ring motor USM, which is fast and quiet.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Georgette Preddy

"Marcel Alsemgeest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cfh0pr$hqf$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and now I want to buy a telelens with
> decent range to be able to make pictures of more or less distant animals and
> other interesting subjects in the distance. I have searched for information
> and prices on zoom telelenses and have narrowed my options to the:
> - Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II;
> - Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.

Sigma makes the 3 best lenses available in this range, the first is
the 120-300mm EX with a constant f/2.8, but it sells for up to $2500,
the second is actually a tad sharper but a stop slower and goes for
around $800, thankfully the world's third place lens in this range is
the Sigma 70-300 APO you mention above, and it's only $200. Here
you'll find them rated next to Canon L, which is not remotely
competive with anything but the Sigma 70-300 APO, and even compared to
that Canon L glass loses...

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

The cheaper Canon lens you are considering should be avoided. Even
the 70-300 in Sigma's 24-70/70-300 two lens starter kit is as good.
In fact the 24-70 in that kit is an outstanding lens for the money, so
you'll definitely want to buy that first. The Sigma two lens kit is
$150 in total.

> Both are priced about equally and seem to get relatively good reviews (taken
> into account that these are relatively cheap lenses). My budget is limited
> so the often recommended L-lenses are no options. I have found comparisons
> between different lenses, with example pictures to show the differences in
> image quality. That's how I filtered most of the lenses away and ended up
> with these two options. They are about equally priced with the Canon lens
> only some 50 Euro's above the Sigma. But now I need to make a choice: should
> I go for the Canon or the Sigma? I haven't been able to find good
> comparisons between these two lenses. Maybe someone in this group knows
> these types of lenses and is willing to give me advice on which to buy to
> use with the EOS 300D. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Realize that most Canon users seem to feel the need to rationalize
their expense. Canon L glass is not competitive in the range you
want, although the Canon 300mm IS L prime is a very nice lens.

Rick

"Marcel Alsemgeest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfh0pr$hqf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and now I want to buy a telelens with
> decent range to be able to make pictures of more or less distant animals

and
> other interesting subjects in the distance. I have searched for

information
> and prices on zoom telelenses and have narrowed my options to the:
> - Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II;
> - Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.
>
> Both are priced about equally and seem to get relatively good reviews

(taken
> into account that these are relatively cheap lenses). My budget is limited
> so the often recommended L-lenses are no options.

Can you manage to stretch your budget to $500? Because if you can, you can
find the Canon 70-200 f4 L lens for that price used on ebay or photo forums
for sale boards on the internet.

Georgette Preddy

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<NN5Tc.24478$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> "Marcel Alsemgeest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfh0pr$hqf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently bought a Canon EOS 300D and now I want to buy a telelens with
> > decent range to be able to make pictures of more or less distant animals

> and
> > other interesting subjects in the distance. I have searched for

> information
> > and prices on zoom telelenses and have narrowed my options to the:
> > - Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 APO Macro Super II;
> > - Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.
> >
> > Both are priced about equally and seem to get relatively good reviews

> (taken
> > into account that these are relatively cheap lenses). My budget is limited
> > so the often recommended L-lenses are no options.

> Can you manage to stretch your budget to $500? Because if you can, you can
> find the Canon 70-200 f4 L lens for that price used on ebay or photo forums
> for sale boards on the internet.

In that case, you'd be crazy not to get the Sigma 70-200 EX with a constant f/2.8.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Georgette
Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In that case, you'd be crazy not to get the Sigma 70-200 EX with a constant f/2.8.

I agree. After the piece of junk has fallen apart in short order he'll
have learned a valuable lesson in life...don't buy crap.

Georgette Preddy

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<140820040836090443%(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Georgette
> Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In that case, you'd be crazy not to get the Sigma 70-200 EX with a constant f/2.8.

> I agree. After the piece of junk has fallen apart in short order he'll
> have learned a valuable lesson in life...don't buy crap.

I actually did learn that lesson the hard way when the permanent
cardboard lens hood on my Canon 300mm L prime was partially partly
torn off by a twig. Now my $1450 lens has $0 resale.

Big Bill

On 16 Aug 2004 04:56:57 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Georgette
Preddy) wrote:

>Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<140820040836090443%(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Georgette
>> Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > In that case, you'd be crazy not to get the Sigma 70-200 EX with a constant f/2.8.

>> I agree. After the piece of junk has fallen apart in short order he'll
>> have learned a valuable lesson in life...don't buy crap.

>I actually did learn that lesson the hard way when the permanent
>cardboard lens hood on my Canon 300mm L prime was partially partly
>torn off by a twig. Now my $1450 lens has $0 resale.

I'll give you $10 plus actual shipping costs for it.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"