Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > anyone know of a camera that can with stand drops?

anyone know of a camera that can with stand drops?

James

thats awsome but its not out yet it doesn't seem.

"wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000489.html
>

> This should work for you
>
> Wayne
>
> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking
> >> for
> >> somthing quite durable.

> > My 1953-vintage Argus C-3 "brick" (see the top pic at
> > http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/argus.html)
> >
> > Pretty f'n near indestructable. Pretty easy to repair/mod/tweak, too.

James

thats crazy, sorry guys i should have mentioned that i want a digital one.

"Apteryx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gSUSc.12576$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking

> for
> > somthing quite durable.

> In the 70's there was the story of the climber in the Himalayas who
> dropped his Nikon F over a 10,000 foot cliff, and wrote a letter of
> complaint to Nikon that when recovered, the camera would function on
> only one shutter speed.
>
> Presumably apocryphal, but underlining the point that old Nikons were
> expected to take a fair amount of damage. If I dropped my Nikon F2 onto
> my concrete path, I might worry a bit about the lens, but I would also
> worry about the concrete.
>
> --
> Apteryx
> Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

E. Le Phant

news:ljYSc.870$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thats crazy, sorry guys i should have mentioned that i want a digital one.

Even I worked that out, since you posted to rec.photo.digital.
Pity all the idiots suggesting old Nikons couldn't work it out.

Baron Sloan

news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im

looking for
> somthing quite durable.

The Canon S30/S40/S50 PowerShot series are very durable.

My old S30 has survived many drops onto concrete, rocks and tarmac
without any ill effect. Two weeks after buying it I fell while rock
climbing, and landed right on top of it (it was in my pocket).

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid

Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
>> somthing quite durable.

> Any old Nikon. Both my F301 and FM2 have survived 15 foot drops onto
> concrete with only minor damage. My F90 has only been dropped from 4 foot
> before but that also was fine. Lens was a bit buggered though.

That depends. If the camera has a lens fitted and takes the impact on
the front of the lens, sometimes the shock will transfer into the body
and bend things.

Parts replaced:

Camera:

Front plate
Grip rubber
Lower rubber
c/f rubber
Small parts
Rear casting

Lens:

Lens bayonet
Small parts (rollers)

The lens was OK, except for the bayonet -- the camera took the impact!
If the camera had fallen on its back it would have been fine.

Andrew.

wayne

weird since the reviews came out in March

found this one lower quality though!

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/casio/gv10-review/

and this Kodak

http://www.poweredmarket.com/page/ing_1766740.htm

Wayne

news:siYSc.869$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thats awsome but its not out yet it doesn't seem.
>

> "wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000489.html
>>

>> This should work for you
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > My 1953-vintage Argus C-3 "brick" (see the top pic at
>> > http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/argus.html)
>> >
>> > Pretty f'n near indestructable. Pretty easy to repair/mod/tweak, too.

Richard Tomkins

The only camera I would ever drop and not worry about is a Fuji cardboard
box multishot, you know the kind, they sell them at the checkout counter at
the supermarket.

I once, and have never again, lent my Nikon F to a friend. I got it back
from Nikon repairs, they indicated that they had used the last film gate in
North America fixing it.

My advice is, carry your camera in a bag, wrap the strap around your wrist
upon removal and then place the strap around your neck immediately. Any
dropped camera will suffer some damage, such as loosened optics, lens and
body misalignment problems, and al kinds of other nasties.

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:giYSc.1408$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> James wrote:
> > do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking

for
> > somthing quite durable.

> Ah! I get it! "Withstand" drops!
>
> Gary Eickmeier

I hate spam

Try a Nikonos, III, IV, They are the toughest that I know of !

"Richard Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LaVTc.5088$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only camera I would ever drop and not worry about is a Fuji cardboard
> box multishot, you know the kind, they sell them at the checkout counter

at
> the supermarket.

Ron Baird

Greetings Wayne,

The DC5000 is the only camera that was built to do what you noted. Great
camera but technology has moved on since it was offered. If you only need
to capture images in a work place and keep the camera free of dust and dirt
as well as moisture, check out eBay to see if you can find one.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company