Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > anyone know of a camera that can with stand drops?

anyone know of a camera that can with stand drops?

James

do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
somthing quite durable.

Thomas

news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
> somthing quite durable.

Any old Nikon. Both my F301 and FM2 have survived 15 foot drops onto
concrete with only minor damage. My F90 has only been dropped from 4 foot
before but that also was fine. Lens was a bit buggered though.

Jim

news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
> somthing quite durable.

F1, F2, and F3 which are all metal. My F3 with MD4 survived a drop from
waist level to concrete. The only damage was a very small chip in the paint
of the MD4.
Jim

Jeremy Nixon

James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
> somthing quite durable.

Pro-level Nikons, especially film ones. My old SLR survived a 1.5-story drop
onto pavement -- I picked it up and kept right on shooting. You can smack
them into rocks, use them as defensive weapons, etc.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)

Matt Ion

news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
> somthing quite durable.

My 1953-vintage Argus C-3 "brick" (see the top pic at
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/argus.html)

Pretty f'n near indestructable. Pretty easy to repair/mod/tweak, too.

Apteryx

news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking

for
> somthing quite durable.

In the 70's there was the story of the climber in the Himalayas who
dropped his Nikon F over a 10,000 foot cliff, and wrote a letter of
complaint to Nikon that when recovered, the camera would function on
only one shutter speed.

Presumably apocryphal, but underlining the point that old Nikons were
expected to take a fair amount of damage. If I dropped my Nikon F2 onto
my concrete path, I might worry a bit about the lens, but I would also
worry about the concrete.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

DigiFilm

I dropped my D60 2 weeks ago from waist lever. Landed on the canon lens hood
and bounced on the neckstrap bracked. It still works fine.

--
www.Digifilm.info
news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
> somthing quite durable.
>

> --
> (E-Mail Removed)

Joseph Meehan

James wrote:
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
> somthing quite durable.

How about the one they used on the Mars Rover project. They seem to
handle a really long drop.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

wayne

http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000489.html

This should work for you

Wayne

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aUPSc.745$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking
>> for
>> somthing quite durable.

> My 1953-vintage Argus C-3 "brick" (see the top pic at
> http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/argus.html)
>
> Pretty f'n near indestructable. Pretty easy to repair/mod/tweak, too.

Gary Eickmeier

James wrote:
> do you know of a camera that can take drops every so often. im looking for
> somthing quite durable.

Ah! I get it! "Withstand" drops!

Gary Eickmeier