Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > French (or at least continental EU) Internet Photo printer?

French (or at least continental EU) Internet Photo printer?

David Dyer-Bennet

I'm thinking of having some prints of local pictures made to send to
friends who are spending several months in France. It crossed my mind
that it might turn out to be cheaper and/or quicker to have them
printed off digital files by a printing company *near them*, rather
than shipping the prints across an ocean. Of course this might force
me to deal with a non-English web site (and my French isn't much; I
had three years of it, but it was from 3rd to 6th grade 40 years
ago). I suppose using a printer in the UK would resolve that, and
still be a lot closer to France than I am. Or perhaps a German
company, my German was both more extensive and a bit more recent.

So, does anybody know anything about the European competitors to
Ofoto, Shutterfly, etc.?

And does anybody know anything about speed and cost for sending stuff
from the UK to France and from Germany to France? I'm assuming that
France to France works reasonably well, but I suppose I could be being
optimistic there.

Eric E

Hi,

Sending stuff from the UK or Germany to France could a little expansive.
I think that German mail would travel faster but I am not sure.
As for French sites http://www.photoweb.fr/ enjoys a good reputation for
quality, relatively low prices and fast delivery. Too bad for you :
their site is in french only. A 10x15 ( centimeters ) print starts at
0,20 euro and postage starts at 2 euro.

Eric ESCUDIER

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> I'm thinking of having some prints of local pictures made to send to
> friends who are spending several months in France. It crossed my mind
> that it might turn out to be cheaper and/or quicker to have them
> printed off digital files by a printing company *near them*, rather
> than shipping the prints across an ocean. Of course this might force
> me to deal with a non-English web site (and my French isn't much; I
> had three years of it, but it was from 3rd to 6th grade 40 years
> ago). I suppose using a printer in the UK would resolve that, and
> still be a lot closer to France than I am. Or perhaps a German
> company, my German was both more extensive and a bit more recent.
>
> So, does anybody know anything about the European competitors to
> Ofoto, Shutterfly, etc.?
>
> And does anybody know anything about speed and cost for sending stuff
> from the UK to France and from Germany to France? I'm assuming that
> France to France works reasonably well, but I suppose I could be being
> optimistic there.

David Dyer-Bennet

Eric E <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Sending stuff from the UK or Germany to France could a little
> expansive. I think that German mail would travel faster but I am not
> sure.
> As for French sites http://www.photoweb.fr/ enjoys a good reputation
> for quality, relatively low prices and fast delivery. Too bad for you
> : their site is in french only. A 10x15 ( centimeters ) print starts
> at 0,20 euro and postage starts at 2 euro.

Thanks I may try that. There's also, it turns out, an OFOTO "Europe"
site (as well as English, French, and German OFOTO sites ???), which
seems to have decent postage rates, and also has an English language
option.

chris French

In message <(E-Mail Removed)-b.net>, David Dyer-Bennet
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>So, does anybody know anything about the European competitors to
>Ofoto, Shutterfly, etc.?
>
>And does anybody know anything about speed and cost for sending stuff
>from the UK to France and from Germany to France? I'm assuming that
>France to France works reasonably well, but I suppose I could be being
>optimistic there.

My favoured one in the UK is Photobox, they will ship to the rest of
Europe via Airmail (which is standard anyway I think for standard mail
to the mainland)

Uk - France postal service is usually quick and works ok
--
Chris French

Tibi

> So, does anybody know anything about the European competitors to
> Ofoto, Shutterfly, etc.?

http://www.colormailer.fr/home.cpl?lang=en

Johannes Czernin

No wonder, David - Ofoto was taken over recently by Kodak, and as K. is
currently proceeding to close down their film developing centers in a number
of European countries they seem to be quite keen to participate in the
growing digital printing business.

Regards,

Johannes

news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...