Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to reduce noise?

How to reduce noise?

Beowulf

How can I reduce noise from a digital photo, such as when it is
underexposed, etc.?
Beowulf

--
"It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:03:23 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Beowulf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How can I reduce noise from a digital photo, such as when it is
>underexposed, etc.?

Net Image, Noise Nija, etc. I personally have been happy using Neat
Image processing images from my Nikon 990 and 5700.
http://www.neatimage.com
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

mark_digital

"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
How can I reduce noise from a digital photo, such as when it is
underexposed, etc.?
Beowulf

-------------------------------------
========================
-------------------------------------

One obvious way is to not enlarge it too much. Other than that
you could use a high end program and painstakingly treat each
portion if you also were good at airbrushing.
Quick fixes most of the time aren't good at all to better than average
vision persons. Automatic red-eye correction is a good example.
Although this is a lousy example, Clark Labs, at least the one a
friend of mine sends his film to for prints, returns some of the worst
noise ridden digitally printed pics I've seen yet he keeps sending
more film to them. But as long as he's happy who cares what I think.
mark_

Matthias

Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> How can I reduce noise from a digital photo, such as when it is
> underexposed, etc.?
> Beowulf

You will get much more useful answers if you give us a hint what you
already tried and which results you got.

The simplest way to deal with the color noise in digital cameras is to
apply a slight (sigma \approx 1-2 pixel) Gaussian filter on the image.
But you probably already tried that?

Ed E.

> Net Image, Noise Nija, etc. I personally have been happy using Neat
> Image processing images from my Nikon 990 and 5700.
> http://www.neatimage.com

Amen to that. Shot some drag racing the other night at dark with only a few
track lights on. Had to underexpose the scene to get the car frozen enough,
but then the noise was high. NeatImage did an incredible job. The latest
version is light-years ahead of the 3.x versions.