Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Oly c5060 and AF-assist

Oly c5060 and AF-assist

Maciek

Hello,
I'd like to ask the users of Oly c5060 abut the efficiency of the built-id
AF assist lamp - is it really possible to get auto focus at low light
conditions?
Or is it just another marketing ****?
Thanks,
Maciek

Eddy Vortex

I use an Oly C2100 UZ with a F/A lamp and it works great. You can take
focused photo in a completely dark room (using flash, of course). I won't
have a camera wich doesn't have a F/A lamp (which severely limits my
choices. Don't worry...they work!!! Eddy
"Maciek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cff1vj$ae2$(E-Mail Removed)-kr.edu.pl...
> Hello,
> I'd like to ask the users of Oly c5060 abut the efficiency of the built-id
> AF assist lamp - is it really possible to get auto focus at low light
> conditions?
> Or is it just another marketing ****?
> Thanks,
> Maciek

WebKatz

"Maciek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cff1vj$ae2$(E-Mail Removed)-kr.edu.pl>...
> Hello,
> I'd like to ask the users of Oly c5060 abut the efficiency of the built-id
> AF assist lamp - is it really possible to get auto focus at low light
> conditions?
> Or is it just another marketing ****?
> Thanks,
> Maciek

The 5050 focuses fine in low light at shorter distances (under 20
feet). I've even taken flash shots where the assist lamp was pretty
much the only light source. I'm betting the 5060 would perform
similarly.

Dave

ECM

"Maciek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cff1vj$ae2$(E-Mail Removed)-kr.edu.pl>...
> Hello,
> I'd like to ask the users of Oly c5060 abut the efficiency of the built-id
> AF assist lamp - is it really possible to get auto focus at low light
> conditions?
> Or is it just another marketing ****?
> Thanks,
> Maciek

I just got a C-5060WZ about 4 weeks ago - I love it..... I'll write a
review on epinions.com in a few weeks.

The autofocus assist really does work - I've tried with and without
it. The "lamp" is actually a high-output orange colored LED beside the
viewfinder. It's very bright - as a matter of fact, TOO bright in dim
light; a lot of my subjects complained about it. Autofocus with the
lamp was quite fast; delayed about 1/2 second from usual because of
extra time with the lamp on. With it off (actually covered, because of
the above-mentioned complaints) the autofocus seemed lost, especially
with moving subjects or with camera movement - it would hunt from end
to end, sometimes for as long as 15-20 seconds before giving up.
Sometimes it would get a proper lock, most of the time it wouldn't. I
was taking pictures in very dim light - as low as starlight, sometimes
by firelight. Starlight, moonlight, or dim lamplight wasn't enough for
good focus.

IMHO, If you're considering a C-5060 purchase, the biggest downside
I've come across so far is the poorly designed optical viewfinder. The
viewfinder image is at least 15-20% smaller than what the camera
captures in a photo. In other words, you NEED to use the LCD to
properly frame your shots; no battery saving allowed! I end up taking
pictures that need quite a bit of cropping and I waste valuable
pixels. My last digital had no such trouble - what you saw is what you
got; I sometimes went for 500 pictures per set of batteries because I
never turned on the LCD....

Peace!
ECM

Maciek

> In other words, you NEED to use the LCD to
> properly frame your shots; no battery saving allowed!

Fonrtunately I will get it with an extra battery

Well, thank You all for your help!!
Maciek

ECM

"Maciek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cfhll4$38u$(E-Mail Removed)-kr.edu.pl>...
> > In other words, you NEED to use the LCD to
> > properly frame your shots; no battery saving allowed!

> Fonrtunately I will get it with an extra battery
>
> Well, thank You all for your help!!
> Maciek

Yeah, I've already made the investment in a (generic) spare
battery.... I'm getting about 200 pictures/charge, not bad with the
LCD on for at least 75% of the shots. I used the camera to download
the picture files, too - I usually use a separate card reader to save
batteries. The battery takes about 6 hours to charge - a bit long,
especially if you only have one.

Even though I'm complaining about the optical viewfinder, I still
really like my C-5060. For my landscapes, nature shots, closeups, etc,
I'm learning to use the LCD for framing and lighting and it's a
definite improvement; I'm getting spontaneous comments about the high
quality of the pictures (my photographic ego is going through the
roof!). For quick snaps without the LCD I'm learning to bring my
subjects a bit closer than I think is correct, to compensate for the
inaccurate field of view through the viewfinder, and it's working
fine.

Enjoy your new camera!

Good Luck!
ECM