Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Noise Reduction Software

Reply
Thread Tools

Noise Reduction Software

 
 
Martin Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
writes
>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) (Bill Hilton) wrote:
>
>>>From: "DR" (E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>>Any recommendations?
>>>
>>>I'm looking for something free, or very inexpensive. Simple to use.

>>
>>I used Neat Image on some ISO 1600 available-light shots my wife took in a
>>nursing home with a 10D and was very impressed at how well it did. It's not
>>free but it's relatively cheap.

>
>Do any of the noise reduction programs reduce noise in RAW files? It
>would seem to me that noise could be reduced at a higher level of
>quality if the RAW data is processed for noise, before demosaicing.
>Noise (except for quantization noise) should be equal in all channels
>before demosaicing and color balancing.


Not quite. The analogue gain is usually turned up higher on the blue
channel to compensate for the lower sensor response to short
wavelengths. Blue channel normally needs more aggressive treatment.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Darran West
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
"DR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfdjtq$ser$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any recommendations?
>
> I'm looking for something free, or very inexpensive. Simple to use.
>

Fred Miranda (http://www.fredmiranda.com/software/) make a plug-in called
ISOx Pro which costs $19.90. However, it will only work with Photoshop 6, 7
or CS.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Petr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
Don't know about other programs but Photoshop has an option for different
color noise reduction provided you are shooting in RAW

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> writes
> >In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >(E-Mail Removed) (Bill Hilton) wrote:
> >
> >>>From: "DR" (E-Mail Removed)
> >>>
> >>>Any recommendations?
> >>>
> >>>I'm looking for something free, or very inexpensive. Simple to use.
> >>
> >>I used Neat Image on some ISO 1600 available-light shots my wife took in

a
> >>nursing home with a 10D and was very impressed at how well it did. It's

not
> >>free but it's relatively cheap.

> >
> >Do any of the noise reduction programs reduce noise in RAW files? It
> >would seem to me that noise could be reduced at a higher level of
> >quality if the RAW data is processed for noise, before demosaicing.
> >Noise (except for quantization noise) should be equal in all channels
> >before demosaicing and color balancing.

>
> Not quite. The analogue gain is usually turned up higher on the blue
> channel to compensate for the lower sensor response to short
> wavelengths. Blue channel normally needs more aggressive treatment.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Martin Brown



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anoni Moose
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
"Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cfdsal$s9j$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> DR wrote:
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > I'm looking for something free, or very inexpensive. Simple to use.

>
> Noise Ninja and Grain surgery are the best on the marked. I don't know about
> the prices though, but if you want quality and speed, that's the way to go.


I've tried those, but for general noise (not just digital camera, but
scanner effect noise, but patterning of any sort) reduction, I've tried
quite a few programs including the ones above, but Neat Image beats
them all on performance, sometimes by quite a lot. But for speed it loses,
it takes quite a while to process compared to others. It's user interface
also isn't as simple -- although easy once figured out.

Mike
 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
In message <q9NSc.89899$gE.62007@pd7tw3no>,
"Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don't know about other programs but Photoshop has an option for different
>color noise reduction provided you are shooting in RAW


Judging from past experience with software, I feel no need to assume
that they do the noise reduction before complicating the image with
demosaicing and color balance.

I mean, photoshop gets so many things so wrong there is no reason to
assume they are doing this optimally.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
Petr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
Like I said, if you shoot in RAW you have the option to reduce noise before
the image is adjusted in any other way.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <q9NSc.89899$gE.62007@pd7tw3no>,
> "Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Don't know about other programs but Photoshop has an option for

different
> >color noise reduction provided you are shooting in RAW

>
> Judging from past experience with software, I feel no need to assume
> that they do the noise reduction before complicating the image with
> demosaicing and color balance.
>
> I mean, photoshop gets so many things so wrong there is no reason to
> assume they are doing this optimally.
> --
>
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
> John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><



 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
In message <3sRSc.88394$J06.36907@pd7tw2no>,
"Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Like I said, if you shoot in RAW you have the option to reduce noise before
>the image is adjusted in any other way.


Like *I* said, you don't know that noise reduction is occuring in the
RAW data just because there is a feature in the RAW converter. The data
is no longer RAW as soon as the converter does anything to it at all.

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> In message <q9NSc.89899$gE.62007@pd7tw3no>,
>> "Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Don't know about other programs but Photoshop has an option for

>different
>> >color noise reduction provided you are shooting in RAW

>>
>> Judging from past experience with software, I feel no need to assume
>> that they do the noise reduction before complicating the image with
>> demosaicing and color balance.
>>
>> I mean, photoshop gets so many things so wrong there is no reason to
>> assume they are doing this optimally.


--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
Petr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2004
I just find that photoshop does this better than anything else I have used.
Don't know bout your experience.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <3sRSc.88394$J06.36907@pd7tw2no>,
> "Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Like I said, if you shoot in RAW you have the option to reduce noise

before
> >the image is adjusted in any other way.

>
> Like *I* said, you don't know that noise reduction is occuring in the
> RAW data just because there is a feature in the RAW converter. The data
> is no longer RAW as soon as the converter does anything to it at all.
>
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> In message <q9NSc.89899$gE.62007@pd7tw3no>,
> >> "Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Don't know about other programs but Photoshop has an option for

> >different
> >> >color noise reduction provided you are shooting in RAW
> >>
> >> Judging from past experience with software, I feel no need to assume
> >> that they do the noise reduction before complicating the image with
> >> demosaicing and color balance.
> >>
> >> I mean, photoshop gets so many things so wrong there is no reason to
> >> assume they are doing this optimally.

>
> --
>
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
> John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bart van der Wolf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2004

"Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GYRSc.91420$gE.81257@pd7tw3no...
> I just find that photoshop does this better than anything else I

have used.
> Don't know bout your experience.


The Adobe Camera Raw converter loses too much sharpness in the process
for my taste. In my experience, Neat Image hardly loses any, and Noise
Ninja is reported to be quite good as well.

Bart

 
Reply With Quote
 
Petr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2004
Yeah I have noticed that but when I am done fixing whatever needs to be
done, I use a Chroma filter called smart sharpen which works wonders so I
don't really mind. Reduces the length of my workflow as well

"Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:411cd17f$0$568$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>
> "Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GYRSc.91420$gE.81257@pd7tw3no...
> > I just find that photoshop does this better than anything else I

> have used.
> > Don't know bout your experience.

>
> The Adobe Camera Raw converter loses too much sharpness in the process
> for my taste. In my experience, Neat Image hardly loses any, and Noise
> Ninja is reported to be quite good as well.
>
> Bart
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise Reduction software (Neat Image, Noise Ninja, etc.) John Navas Digital Photography 0 10-19-2007 03:22 PM
New noise reduction software, currently free RobbH Digital Photography 5 12-10-2004 10:33 PM
any editing software with noise reduction? peter Digital Photography 22 11-02-2004 01:38 PM
Audio Noise, pop, and click reduction software - old LPs bobster Computer Support 3 03-02-2004 03:07 AM
Re: Noise Reduction Software? Nonya Bidness Digital Photography 19 12-16-2003 11:56 AM



Advertisments